Glen Campbell and The Beach Boys

* REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL * 2017 CMA WIN! * PINTEREST * AND MORE

Re: Glen Campbell and The Beach Boys

Postby Dee » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:35 am

Brian Wilson Interview: Beach Boys Icon Talks "Pet Sounds" and "Playback"
Smashing Interviews Magazine
Written by Melissa Parker
September 28, 2017

This is an interesting coincidence after just posting about "the diamond in the rough" below.

Brian Wilson is asked in an interview conducted by Melissa Parker for "Smashing Interviews Magazine" about working with Glen Campbell.
The song "Guess I'm Dumb" is brought up by Brian:
Melissa Parker: We recently lost Glen Campbell to Alzheimer’s disease. Did you ever work with him?

Brian Wilson: I did work with Glen Campbell. I produced him on a song one time in the early 60s.

Melissa Parker: What kind of relationship did you two have?

Brian Wilson: I can’t remember. All I know is I produced this song called “Guess I’m Dumb” for him. I was sad to see him die.

It is sad that Brian no longer remembers Glen playing on BB tracks (including some of the songs on Pet Sounds) much less Glen filling in for Brian on bass guitar / vocals when Brian was unable to tour for about 5 months. This was such a rich period, musically, for The Beach Boys. It was a bad time period for Brian. Working with Glen on the production of "Guess I'm Dumb", however, was memorable, is remembered after 52 years. I believe Brian may have been on the backing vocals for this recording, too.

You can read the full interview here:

http://smashinginterviews.com/interview ... d-playback
New to Glen Campbell Forums? When you reach the bottom of this page, click on the next page number ------>
Dee
Site Admin

Glen Campbell and The Beach Boys

Postby Dee » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:42 pm

A look back: Glen Campbell and Brian Wilson's 1965 collaboration was a diamond in the rough
by Ben Cates
"Burg"
September 19, 2017

65_Guess I'm Dumb.jpg
65_Guess I'm Dumb.jpg (9.11 KiB) Viewed 67 times

Cates writes about Glen Campbell's recording of 'Guess I'm Dumb':
"...it’s an interesting listen, not just for its classic (Brian) Wilson-esque harmonies and intricate arrangements, but as a kind of forerunner to the long careers both Wilson and Campbell would enjoy.

This is a good article about a great song--one that is often overlooked or even disregarded--released as a single by Glen Campbell in June 1965.

I believe the use of the word "dumb" was (and still is) off-putting to many music listeners. On the other hand, Nancy and Frank Sinatra's "Somethin' Stupid" [written by C. Carson Parks] was a huge hit! :)

Perhaps many listeners in 1965 were not yet ready for the musical complexity of GID. In terms of the music Brian was writing in '64 and later, he was years ahead of most other songwriters ('Pet Sounds' is a good example).

Correction to this article: Glen began to fill in for Brian at the very end of 1964 when The Beach Boys were touring. His last concerts with the Boys were in May 1965. During these five months, Glen was not avaiable to perform at all concerts on the tour schedule due to his "Shindig!" commitments and other conflicts. Some sources including this Burg article provide a longer touring period. If "The_Beach" or other members are aware of other concert dates after May 1965, please post. :)

You can read Cates' article here (which seems to draw on the Wikipedia article, "Guess I'm Dumb"):

:arrow: https://tinyurl.com/yaqda938
New to Glen Campbell Forums? When you reach the bottom of this page, click on the next page number ------>
Dee
Site Admin

Return to All Things Glen