Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell and The Beach Boys

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Dee

Re: Glen Campbell and The Beach Boys

Post by Dee »

Remember When Glen Campbell Was in the Beach Boys?
By Sterling Whitaker

Glen Campbell became one of the first crossover superstars in country music in the ’70s, but before that the versatile singer and instrumentalist served a stint with the legendary Beach Boys.

Read More: http://tasteofcountry.com/glen-campbell ... ck=tsmclip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[Obviously not a photo of Glen from '64-'65! --Dee] 8-)

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Check out this discussion on the SmileySmile Dot Net Message Board:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php? ... pic=8255.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Glen performed on Feb 19, 1965 in Montreal with The Beach Boys. The thread also mentions that Glen was introduced as Capitol Recording Star Glen Campbell, and was allowed a solo spot too. Maybe that was where people got to hear him play lead guitar instead of bass. Love that CHUM radio Toronto Top 20 chart with three pictures of the Beach Boys with Glen in Toronto! Never seen those before.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Cowpoke, You raise a good point there. Everytime Glen has talked about being with the B/boys he always says "I played bass and sang Brian's part, It raised my voice a tone and a half"
He also stated that the bass strings are tuned like the four top strings of the guitar so it wasn't a big problem.
But I think playing a standard guitar would allow Glen to really shine as it is a totally different beast to play. So he must have had the opportunity to do that on the tours at some point surely.

arlw

Post by arlw »

Beach Boy Fans will love this-:

Mike Love has book deal; memoir due out in 2016

I am sure it will contain some footage of when Glen was with them!!

siblis

Post by siblis »

I have been looking for shows taped from that era for many, many years now & so far no luck.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

The thing that intrigues me is, if Glen's guitar playing was so memorable, as that commenter noted, then did he really play bass?

And even more intriguing is this line:

The Thursday night show in Springfield kicked off at 7:30 p.m. and a bootleg recording of some the concert survives.

Siblis, did you hunt that bootleg down? :)

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...