Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Re: See You There

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 11:12 am:

The critics are being very complementary about the album so its good to see its being well received. Lets hope it translates into wide acceptance from the public at large.
Stephen,
You said that you heard Postcard from Paris on radio 2. And it was pointed out to me that e bay have copies of the promo single for sale.Was it stated by the DJ that it was a release off the album as I understood that Hey little one was to be the first release with the video that was filmed with Glen and Kim.

-Mike Joyce

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Saturday, August 03, 2013 - 12:50 pm:

I am looking forward to the review by the real Scotsman-over to Will

-stephen.taylor

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Sunday, July 28, 2013 - 08:08 pm:

Mike Joyce -you are so right about the frame of mind, listenng to the new album tracks. When I go to my favourite pub/diner,I have very high expectations. It very rarely fails,but when it does ,I feel it.

On the other hand, My second favourite venue, by no way reaches or tries to be top class,but it has a great warm welcoming environment. Anthing above average is a unexpected bonus. Glen has made his international class albums at the peak of his success.

He has in his last tour, provided a better remains of yesterday's past,than today's new discovery's will ever provide.

Even at the stage of 'see you there' in his mid 70's he remains a better singer than today's youth. His legend as the worlds best singer remains unsurpassed. IMHO

-stephen.taylor

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Sunday, July 28, 2013 - 04:36 pm:

Good article as you say Stephen, I was taken by the comments on Rhinestone Cowboy. Because I have always considered it a song in which the real meaning seemed to be lost as everyone just got stuck into the chorus. Glen himself said that the appeal of the song was not the hook of the chorus but the issues about having to compromise and then the phrase THERE'S BEEN a load of compromising at the end. I think Glen's original recording expresses it well and the sad verses are then balanced with the hopeful and positive chorus of having at least achieved stardom what ever it took to get there. So much a reflection of his own life. I listened to "Hey little one" while reading the article and I think that having heard it before with the video and again now with just the audio I can appreciate the point made that Glen's voice is rich and does bring out the sadness of the tune.
I guess we have to let it grow and allow it to reach our souls. Its a bit like the Eva Cassidy version of "Over the rainbow" it took a number of listens to adjust to it but now I think its great and I also only recently really understood it properly. I was having a bad time and while listening to it I suddenly grasped that it was a song about the deep despair she was feeling at being unable to fulfil her longed for dreams.I was moved to tears while cutting a plank of wood of all things.Perhaps your frame of mind makes all the difference.

-Mike Joyce

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Saturday, July 27, 2013 - 04:34 pm:

It's a very interesting article I think. Some of the things that I got my attention...

- Julian and Glen had been recording these unplugged versions "for a couple of years". I now think they recorded them from somewhere in 2009 to late 2010. In February 2011 Surfdog announced their deal with Glen and already mentioned an unplugged style greatest hits CD. So Julian must have given the CD to Dave Kaplan early 2011. I assume they focused on the Ghost album first and started to rework those unplugged tracks in 2012, taking a year to finish them.

- It doesn't seem like Julian has been dumped, like a few people here suggested earlier. Julian is still in contact with Glen and his family, is involved in the documentary and apparantly gave Dave Kaplan his permission to rework his tracks. I have a feeling that Julian too had trouble finishing those unplugged tracks himself. It would not have made sense to give them the Meet-Glen-Campbell treatment, because they would have been too similar to the originals I think. But these are only guesses on my part.

- Glen is playing guitar on these tracks! I so hope they will include detailed liner notes and musician credits (probably not) so we can determine on which songs Glen is playing and when it was recorded etc.

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Saturday, July 27, 2013 - 04:02 pm:

I don't think I will be 'melting in my chair' based on the clips I have heard so far,however good to hear 'see you there'get such a positive review. However I will get that old GC enthusiasm when the documenty comes out. I am sure it will contain a good deal of music from the farewell tour recorded to modern day DVD standard. With 5000 hours there may even be a follow up of the best of the concert performances. On occasions Glen added a few new tunes in that on one the YT clips he sang 'she thinks I still care'. Someone said he did 'never pass this way again ' at one show-would love to have heard that song done again. Still looking forward to the album but it is the documentary that is the big prize for me.

-stephen.taylor

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 11:36 am:

Here a new review of See You There.

http://drownedinsound.com/releases/1775 ... 662?ticker" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posts to be populated