Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Source of "In Session" recording with Leon Russell, 1983?

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
baldwin

Re: Source of "In Session" recording with Leon Russell, 1983

Post by baldwin »

No, I never did post it to YouTube. I like it to be kind of obscure and rare, but there is no sense in me keeping it for myself, so I am sharing it here.

I tried contacting CHCH TV 11, too, but I didn't get anywhere either.

FireCooky

Post by FireCooky »

baldwin wrote:I met Leon and Glen in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada that cold November 18th day in 1983 as they were entering CHCH TV 11 studio to record "In Session."
My wife and I were an unofficial two-person welcoming committee. I read in the local newspaper that Leon and Glen were going to be recording a TV reunion special, so I called the producer (Ian Anderson) who told me what time the limousines would arrive. I shook Leon's hand and he autographed a couple of items for me. I have enjoyed his music since I was 15 (1970), so it was a real pleasure to meet him and to talk to him.

Here is a link where anyone can download the complete video that I recorded from TV on VHS. I am the source of the videos you see online. I sent the VHS tapes to Gloria Shiraef, and she transferred them to DVD. Enjoy!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zf5bk2tgh ... Canada.avi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow, thanks so much! Incredible! Is this available on Youtube? I tried contacting CHCH but got no reply, so I had given up home.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Super photos. Glad to see some buzz about Leon Russell and Glen Campbell In Session on another social media platform.
Regarding the DVD, I was going to suggest Bear Family Records until I checked their site today and saw that In Celebration is no longer available!
I have a few other suggestions and will PM you. Same with your other question.

How did it happen that Glen Campbell / Jimmy Webb "In Session" was released on DVD and CD in 2012?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Camp ... In_Session" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It might be helpful to find out how this release came to light. Who initiated it? Had the interest originated in the Jimmy Webb Camp?
I seem to remember that it came out of left field; totally unexpected. This release was heavily edited; still it is a gem.
Would love to see the Leon/Glen session professionally released and uncut.

baldwin

Post by baldwin »

In Session.jpg
In Session.jpg (92.49 KiB) Viewed 11184 times
In Session a.jpg
In Session a.jpg (215.55 KiB) Viewed 11184 times
I have been searching all over the place for a better copy of this video, and I have spoken to some people who were involved in the production, but I keep running into a brick wall.

I think it is a fantastic show, and I am happy to share it.

I would like to get the video to Glen's family, but I don't know how. Any ideas?

Here is another link, this time to five audio (wav) files: Heartbreak Hotel, Jambalaya, You've Lost that Loving Feeling, I Don't Mind, and You Don't Know Me.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/flookulr ... 0Audio.rar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I regret not shaking Glen's hand and getting his autograph, but Leon was my idol, and I felt that time was limited. A real regret because Glen was an amazing musician, too.

I am looking for a good copy of Ronnie Milsap's "In Celebration" with guests Glen Campbell and Leon Russell playing independent of each other. Does anyone here have a good copy? I have a copy that I converted from VHS to digital, but I am looking for a better copy.

And here are a couple more photos from this "In Session" session that have turned up on Facebook that we did not take.

Dee

Post by Dee »

How many people in this world can say they welcomed two of the top first-call members of the Wrecking Crew to possibly one of their best gigs ever?
Only two. And now one of these two lucky individuals is here on Glen's forums to provide us with the backstory to the event!

Glad to meet you, Baldwin. Welcome to Glen's forums and thanks so much for enlightening us about this special studio session! I also ((greatly)) appreciate your thoughtful shares.
Let's trust "In Session" with Leon and Glen gets a proper release after being in the can for 34 years. The Albert King and Stevie Ray Vaughan segment has had multiple releases in different formats -- which gives me hope that the master tapes for Glen and Leon's session still exist.

Randy

Post by Randy »

Two different musical styles and not different really at all. Universal talent, and two guys that were both deeply loved and respected by their fans and their peers.

Baldwin thanks so much for sharing the upload!

jay

Post by jay »

Baldwin...looks like Glen didnt bring a heavy enough coat! Thanks for sharing these pictures.

baldwin

Post by baldwin »

Leon & me, with Ron Meraska (In Session director) in background.jpg
Leon & me, with Ron Meraska (In Session director) in background.jpg (140.81 KiB) Viewed 11208 times
Glen Campbell.JPG
Glen Campbell.JPG (19.38 KiB) Viewed 11208 times
Leon & me 3a.jpg
Leon & me 3a.jpg (129.61 KiB) Viewed 11208 times
Here are some photos from that day. I took the one of Glen and my wife took the ones of Leon.

baldwin

Post by baldwin »

I met Leon and Glen in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada that cold November 18th day in 1983 as they were entering CHCH TV 11 studio to record "In Session."
My wife and I were an unofficial two-person welcoming committee. I read in the local newspaper that Leon and Glen were going to be recording a TV reunion special, so I called the producer (Ian Anderson) who told me what time the limousines would arrive. I shook Leon's hand and he autographed a couple of items for me. I have enjoyed his music since I was 15 (1970), so it was a real pleasure to meet him and to talk to him.

Here is a link where anyone can download the complete video that I recorded from TV on VHS. I am the source of the videos you see online. I sent the VHS tapes to Gloria Shiraef, and she transferred them to DVD. Enjoy!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zf5bk2tgh ... Canada.avi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FireCooky

Post by FireCooky »

Wow, thanks for the info. Yes, there's very little that I found referencing the show apart from the Jim Webb and BB King episodes of the show which have seen a release. Even the post on this forum's archives was hard to find on Google! How strange.