Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Hair Stories

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
pancakes

Re: Hair Stories

Post by pancakes »

Dee....I think I have seen a different picture of Glen sporting a perm in the late 70's or early 80's before he met Tanya. I cut the picture out from a Ron Barrett Gossip magazine a long time ago. If I can get it scanned, I'll post it.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

I spotted the item about Glen's perm in his bio. Page 139 the beginning of chapter 14.
Glen says that he went to a salon and paid a $100 to have it done but didn't like it and bought a bottle of afro-sheen hair straightener and combed it in to get rid of it. "My hair felt like straw for a month".
Glen also mentions he had a lot of mail when he decided to have a centre parting in the late seventies.It seems many didn't like the change in his style even then. I remember being in a concert and while we were waiting for the show to start I heard some women saying that they hoped he didn't have a beard because they wanted to see all his face.
I must say its hard to adjust to these things isn't it. Can you imagine Elvis with a beard.(Although I think he did have one in a film once,) Or perhaps Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin etc.
Sadly I have a centre parting, but not by choice.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Talking about Glen's hair. In 1976 he had a beard for a while too!

Source: http://herbertgambill.com/2013/11/27/mo ... negatives/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Post by Dee »

Would love to see your photo, SIblis.

I cannot find Tanya Tucker's reference to Glen's permed hair in her autobio. Perhaps I read her comment in a magazine.
It was just a simple comment that Glen had had his hair permed and didn't like it.

siblis

Post by siblis »

Dee....I think I have seen a different picture of Glen sporting a perm in the late 70's or early 80's before he met Tanya. I cut the picture out from a Ron Barrett Gossip magazine a long time ago. If I can get it scanned, I'll post it.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Hi, Siblis,

Here is a photo that I have had in my files of Glen with permed hair! It was, of course, taken in the '80's.

Tanya Tucker writes about Glen's perm in her bio. I will try to find this text to summarize here....

Ah, the many looks of Glen over the years!

Dee
Glen Campbell_1980s_Permed Hair.jpg
Glen Campbell_1980s_Permed Hair.jpg (47.54 KiB) Viewed 8671 times

siblis

Post by siblis »

Glen had a perm done to his hair in the late 70's & quickly straightened out. I have seen (1) pic of it as of today. I see that Cal has grown his hair out & is now sporting a pony tail.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 02:00 pm:

I remember Glen telling a story that he visited his family in the mid-sixties and his brother complained about the length of this hair. Glen had grown his hair a little longer while touring with the Beach Boys I believe.

And here's another Glen Campbell hair story for you! :)

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20 ... /704240371" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 10:01 am:

Re-Shannon's haircut (not seen it yet) Most will remember that the first thing Glen said when he met Jimmy Webb was 'when you gonna get a hair cut'. Most will know that but thought it might be a point of interest if anyone on here didn't know.

Interesting enough,Glen gave a bit of a rebellious interview in one of the British national newspapers in 1977 I think. Glen had grown his hair long and made a point he was doing his own thing. In 1979,he rebelled over a refusal to release 'Highwayman' as a single.

The other note of interest regarding Glen and hair story is when he had it permed around 1980 I think,he hated it if I remember the story rightly.

And last but not least-Glen has his very own fan nicknamed 'hair'

Does anyone know any more hair stories.

-stephen.taylor

admin
Site Admin

Hair Stories

Post by admin »

Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 09:33 pm:

Well, I see Shannon finally got a haircut!! I couldn't believe it when I saw him on stage during the tour:-)

-Donna Clifton