Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

True Grit: Do You Have It?

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
admin
Site Admin

Re: True Grit: Do You Have It?

Post by admin »

Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2014 - 08:02 am:

Mike, thank you so much for researching the answers to questions about Glen and Norwood and True Grit! Much appreciated!
I think that Glen's statement about his work in films costing him money is a good reminder that, in addition to Glen's many talents, he was also a savvy business man. When I think about it, he made many prudent decisions in his life about money and also about the direction of his career.
("Norwood" does have its country hick stereotypes, doesn't it? I think Glen's singing in this film and his sweet scenes with Kim Darby's character help redeem this film. Still love watching it!)

-Dee

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2014 - 07:08 am:

Hi Dee,
Glen, hated doing Norwood and he felt "it set back the cause of country music and perpetuated every stereotype of country musicians as hicks".(Page 112 Rhinestone cowboy) Glen didn't like having to work to strict script and preferred the spontaneity of singing live music.
He loved doing True Grit because he was working with The Duke but apparently in order to get "True Grit" Hal Wallis had to also do "Norwood"
According to the book there were 3 more films to do in the contract but Glen walked away because as he says they were actually costing him money. He lost thousands of dollars while he was off the road unable to do live shows.
Mike

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Friday, August 08, 2014 - 09:28 am:

Thanks for the info, Mike. I guess I should watch the newer T.G. again since I have forgotten much about it.
At one time I had Portis's other books on my amazon.com wish list, but I didn't order or read these books yet. (My wish list is quite long as you can imagine.)
Here is a good article about Portis, who reminds me of the reclusive J.D. Salinger (RIP).

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/20/books ... d=all&_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wasn't Glen signed on to do three films: True Grit, Norwood, and ? Maybe the third film was also a script based on a Portis novel? I do know that Glen was extremely unhappy with "Norwood", the film, because it didn't follow the book among other reasons. Does anyone remember if the third film was ever identified?

-Dee

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2014 - 01:01 pm:

In the new film Mattie definitely had strong affection for La boeuf and I think he felt some attraction also. But as you say Dee, this wasn't the case in the original.However she falls for Norwood in the next film and Glen manages to survive in this film.So I guess justice is done in the end.

Did anyone read the other 3 Charles Portis books?

-Mike Joyce

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2014 - 10:00 pm:

Siblis, what you heard makes a lot of sense. Can't have the Duke dying in a film about True Grit!

-Dee

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2014 - 06:20 pm:

I had read or heard years ago that according to the Book Rooster is suppose to die, but the script was changed because John Wayne did not want the role of Rooster to Die, so it was changed Lebeouf

-Siblis1

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2014 - 05:37 pm:

Thanks! I am going to have to purchase that Blu-ray of the newer TG with bonus materials.

Maybe in 1969, the director already knew that he wanted to make a sequel, so he didn't kill off the Rooster Cogburn character.

Good question about why La Boeuf was killed.

Another question: On the new release of the "True Grit" soundtrack by La La Land Records, Glen Campbell performs “Go Home Girl”, which was cut from the 1969 film, right? This song implies that La Boeuf had romantic feelings toward Mattie Ross. Was his attraction to Mattie in the book? It sure didn't seem evident in the 1969 film that La Boeuf felt this way toward Mattie. Time to pull out the book again!

Arlw, I could hardly understand Jeff Bridges. Overall, I think the remake was okay on its own. Still, nothing like the original!

I couldn't find out anything on the Southern Nights vinyl (July 2014). I almost ordered it recently, then changed my mind in order to purchase the 2011 digitally re-mastered combo CD, "Wichita Lineman / Galveston-Where's The Playground Susie" CD. Somehow I had overlooked that CD.

-Dee

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2014 - 02:27 pm:

Mike,
And to Dee as well---I also have the 2010 Blue Ray of True Grit and all of what Mike wrote is right on. It is the second film version!! And Jeff Bridges sounds like he has marbles in his mouth!! Why they killed off Labeouf in 1969--interesting point! Who knows-maybe they will release it again!!!

Has anyone found any info on that Southern Nights LP??--looking to see if the new release is 180 grams....Thanks

-Arlw

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2014 - 12:46 pm:

Hi Dee,
Its the second film version. I also have the original on standard DVD.
-Mike Joyce

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2014 - 11:34 pm:

Thanks, Mike!

Question regarding the Blu-ray that you have with the bonus features that include Glen holding the Portis book: is this the disc for the re-make of "True Grit" with Jeff Bridges or is it the 2010 Blu-ray of the original "True Grit" with John Wayne and Glen Campbell?

-Dee