Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums On The Net
(c) 2014-2020 GLEN CAMPBELL FORUMS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Celebrating Glen Campbell's "True Grit"

ESSENTIAL HISTORY THAT MAY SURPRISE YOU * NEW MUSIC RELEASES * BEST VIDEOS * BREAKING NEWS
admin
Site Admin

Re: Celebrating Glen Campbell's "True Grit" - new post

Post by admin » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:05 am

"TRUE GRIT"
THE FILM THAT TRAVELED AROUND THE WORLD IN LESS THAN 80 DAYS!

True Grit Poster.jpg
United States poster_most common style and layout
True Grit Poster.jpg (78.08 KiB) Viewed 86 times
Authentic TBD Australian Daybill True Grit-gcf.jpg
This daybill has a comic book-like illustration.
Authentic TBD Australian Daybill True Grit-gcf.jpg (56.22 KiB) Viewed 86 times
True Grit Argentina Theater Marquee Poster 1969-gcf.jpg
True Grit Argentina Theater Marquee Poster 1969-gcf.jpg (83.46 KiB) Viewed 86 times
True Grit 1969 Belgian Poster - unusual rare -gcf.jpg
The Belgian poster (OR possibly a window card because of the deep margin at the top of it) appears to be the French poster but with added text for the country's large Dutch-speaking population.
True Grit 1969 Belgian Poster - unusual rare -gcf.jpg (83.87 KiB) Viewed 86 times
True Grit Grande Poster 47 x 62.75 in. 100 dollars pour un sherif-gcf-sm.jpg
True Grit was retitled in France.
True Grit Grande Poster 47 x 62.75 in. 100 dollars pour un sherif-gcf-sm.jpg (204.79 KiB) Viewed 86 times
True Grit Poster Grande French 47 x 62.75 in. 100 dollars pour un sherif-seller pic-gcf.jpg
This image shows the "Grande French" poster (above) on the wall of a room (simulated).
True Grit Poster Grande French 47 x 62.75 in. 100 dollars pour un sherif-seller pic-gcf.jpg (15.2 KiB) Viewed 86 times
THIS IS A CLIP FROM THE FRENCH MOVIE TRAILER:
True Grit 1969 Italian Poster RARE red background.jpg
True Grit 1969 Italian Poster RARE red background.jpg (62.84 KiB) Viewed 86 times
True Grit Japanese movie poster - gcf.jpg
True Grit Japanese movie poster - gcf.jpg (85.46 KiB) Viewed 86 times
TRUE GRIT JOHN WAYNE ORIG movie poster Spanish RARE 69-gcf.jpg
This poster from Spain is authentic.
TRUE GRIT JOHN WAYNE ORIG movie poster Spanish RARE 69-gcf.jpg (85.9 KiB) Viewed 86 times
TRUE GRIT JOHN WAYNE movie poster Spanish 69 - REPRODUCTION.jpg
This Spanish poster is a reproduction. Buyers Beware: unfortunately there are many fakes in the secondary market.
TRUE GRIT JOHN WAYNE movie poster Spanish 69 - REPRODUCTION.jpg (67.83 KiB) Viewed 86 times
True Grit - Original Yugoslav Movie Theater Insert 1969 - gcf1.jpg
John Wayne in his role as Rooster Cogburn is prominently shown on this country's programme insert.
True Grit - Original Yugoslav Movie Theater Insert 1969 - gcf1.jpg (515.96 KiB) Viewed 86 times
A True Grit Banner from John Wayne's own collection unusual-gcf.jpg
A True Grit Banner from John Wayne's own collection unusual-gcf.jpg (43.69 KiB) Viewed 86 times
British Quad Poster_unusual True Grit Poster from John Wayne's estate-gcf.jpg
British Quad Poster_unusual True Grit Poster from John Wayne's estate-gcf.jpg (145.68 KiB) Viewed 86 times
Original Movie Film Poster TRUE GRIT-auctioned.jpg
Due to the large size of original "quad" posters used by movie theatres, the quads typically have fold marks. Theatre owners used to order posters, inserts, lobby cards, quads, etc. by mail order.
Original Movie Film Poster TRUE GRIT-auctioned.jpg (231.41 KiB) Viewed 86 times
Glen Campbell Poster True Grit 1969 available from AllPosters dot com.jpg
Reproduction? It has the appearance of a movie theatre lobby card rather than a poster.
Glen Campbell Poster True Grit 1969 available from AllPosters dot com.jpg (50.73 KiB) Viewed 86 times
We will add more countries' film posters in this posting box when we come across them.

UP NEXT: TRUE GRIT LOBBY CARDS AND THEATRE PROGRAMS

dee2

Re: Celebrating Glen Campbell's "True Grit"

Post by dee2 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:54 am

THE DUKE (JOHN WAYNE) & TRUE GRIT

Two photos below:

John Wayne as Rooster Cogburn in the role of his career:

John Wayne_True Grit_Source Unknown-gcf.jpg
John Wayne_True Grit_Source Unknown-gcf.jpg (95.05 KiB) Viewed 147 times

John Wayne's Correspondence & What It Reveals About Him:

Correspondence written by John Wayne with regard to "True Girt" reveals he was more than just an actor on a movie set. He had an experienced eye for smart production, directing, and editing. He knew his audience, he understood how to shoot a scene and he knew when something in a screenplay required a change to strengthen a film. He also knew how to communicate his suggestions ("I plead with you...") to a film's director.

John Wayne was also of the old school of Hollywood actors, the great classic actors who understood their successes were not about themselves but about the people they worked with. Wayne was also a thoughtful, graceful and generous human being despite working within the confines of a sometimes tough and unforgiving Hollywood studio system.

Check out Wayne's correspondence pictured below: a letter of appreciation to Charles "Charlie" Portis, author of the novel True Grit. Also shown is a letter or critique, possibly a draft, that appears to have been addressed to director Henry Hathaway. The correspondence reflects Wayne's smart attention to details including the film's musical score. Note that he refers to Kim Darby as "the little girl" yet refers to Glen Campbell as "Glen".

Many thanks to John Wayne's heirs for allowing these document to be shared (prior and after the sale of his enormous warehoused collection of memorabilia many years after he passed away). Clearly, the success of "True Grit" as a film can be at least partly attributed to John Wayne. Hollywood thought so, too, of course, when the Motion Picture Academy recognized him with an Academy Award for his leading role in "True Grit".

Correspondence written by John Wayne with mention of Glen_True Grit.jpg
Correspondence written by John Wayne with mention of Glen_True Grit.jpg (150.35 KiB) Viewed 147 times
c. 2018 D. Zink for Glen Campbell Forums. All Rights Reserved.
www.GlenCampbellForums.com

dee2

Post by dee2 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:48 pm

TRUE GRIT MEMORABILIA
FROM GLEN CAMPBELL & JOHN WAYNE'S PERSONAL COLLECTIONS - #2

This "True Grit" script is Glen Campbell's. It was on display at "The Rhinestone Cowboy" exhibition at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum when I visited the museum in 2014, when in Nashville for the premiere of "Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me". The script was in a blue jean colored binder with each page in an archival sleeve. Glen's script was open to a page with dialogue between Rooster Cogburn, LaBoeuf and Kim Darby. (Sorry for the glare; items on display were behind protective glass.)
IMG_3440.JPG
IMG_3440.JPG (795.42 KiB) Viewed 215 times
The following two pictures are of John Wayne's personal Second Draft Screenplay for True Grit dated July 26, 1968.
Each single page is folded in half (or folded in half again) by Wayne, which was his habit with a working script used on the sets of his films.

As an experienced, hands-on actor with an eye to the actual film production, he mostly made changes to his dialogue in the script but also suggested cinematic changes (not necessarily in the script) to the director/screenplay writer.

One of the most interesting changes Wayne proposed or had been thinking about is found on the script's very last page.
He had proposed a change to his now famous line, "Fill your hand, you son of a b*tch."
In pencil he had suggested: "Fill yore hand and meet your maker / He ya!!! Bo"

Note: These photos had been authorized by the John Wayne Family for the sale of this item about six years ago.
John Wayne True Grit script second draft see notes front cover-gcf.jpg
John Wayne True Grit script second draft see notes front cover-gcf.jpg (24.41 KiB) Viewed 215 times
John Wayne True Grit script second draft see notes back cover.jpg
John Wayne True Grit script second draft see notes back cover.jpg (29.23 KiB) Viewed 215 times

dee2

Post by dee2 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:54 pm

TRUE GRIT MEMORABILIA FROM GLEN CAMPBELL'S PERSONAL COLLECTION

IMG_3439_The Hat Glen Campbell Wore in True Grit_D. Zink 2014.jpg
IMG_3439_The Hat Glen Campbell Wore in True Grit_D. Zink 2014.jpg (545.57 KiB) Viewed 216 times
This Zippo lighter was a gift from John Wayne to Glen Campbell. It is inscribed: "Stolen From John Wayne".
From John Wayne to Glen Campbell_GCF2.jpg
From John Wayne to Glen Campbell_GCF2.jpg (25.73 KiB) Viewed 216 times
John Wayne also gifted this signed photo to Glen.
He wrote on it: "Help! Horse-killer!" and signed it with his nickname "Duke".

John Wayne's Signed Picture to Glen Campbell_True Grit-gcf-C. D. ZINK 2014.jpg
John Wayne's Signed Picture to Glen Campbell_True Grit-gcf-C. D. ZINK 2014.jpg (429.05 KiB) Viewed 216 times
MORE MEMORABILIA PHOTOS TO BE POSTED. (If any posting members here would like to have copies of these photos without the copyright marks, please send me a message by PM. G**gle and other trollers regularly copy photos; thus the copyright marks.)

dee2

Post by dee2 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:10 pm

"TRUE GRIT" WAS A HIT AT ITS PREMIERE ~ AND SO WAS GLEN CAMPBELL!

GLEN CAMPBELL IN CROWD OF FANS AT TRUE GRIT PREMIERE.jpg
GLEN CAMPBELL IN CROWD OF FANS AT TRUE GRIT PREMIERE.jpg (123.78 KiB) Viewed 240 times
LaBoeuf is looking mighty happy here!
We hope Glen's Mom was able to get her son's autograph on her movie theater program.
She is standing to Glen's left. Note the smiling officer's protective hand on Glen's back.

dee2

Post by dee2 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:47 pm

THEN CAME THE PREMIERE OF "TRUE GRIT"

True Grit was released on June 11, 1969. Its premiere was held at the Cinema 150 Theater in Little Rock, Arkansas. Glen's beaming parents were with him for this big event.
GLEN CAMPBELL WITH HIS PARENTS AT AIRPORT TRUE GRIT PREMIERE-gcf.jpg
GLEN CAMPBELL WITH HIS PARENTS AT AIRPORT TRUE GRIT PREMIERE-gcf.jpg (164.33 KiB) Viewed 240 times
vlcsnap-2018-06-11-20h27m41s242.png
vlcsnap-2018-06-11-20h27m41s242.png (154.76 KiB) Viewed 240 times
vlcsnap-2018-06-11-20h28m06s304.png
vlcsnap-2018-06-11-20h28m06s304.png (237.82 KiB) Viewed 240 times

Screen shots are from a news coverage reel in the archives of Pryor Center in Arkansas. It was viewable on the Center's website a few years ago. The video shows a shy or overwhelmed Glen Campbell arriving at the movie theater for the premiere. He is interviewed briefly by a local newscaster. Charles Portis is also shown in the video. Unfortunately, this video is no longer streaming.

dee2

Post by dee2 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:27 pm

NEXT CAME THE FILM - A PREVIEW FOR FANS

Weren't these contest winners lucky to have attended a special preview of "True Grit" on May 24, 1969?

The contest? Write a 25-word letter explaining why you are a Glen Campbell fan.

Glen Campbell Photo of Fans Watching Preview of TRUE GRIT_FB - GCF.jpg
Glen Campbell Photo of Fans Watching Preview of TRUE GRIT_FB - GCF.jpg (177.9 KiB) Viewed 240 times

[press photo by Ed Wagner, Sr. and published in the Chicago Tribune]

dee2

Post by dee2 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:13 pm

"True Grit": It Started With A Book

Below are pictures of a 1st edition book published by S&S in 1968. However, this is not just any copy! This one was autographed by John Wayne, Glen Campbell, Kim Darby, Robert "Bob" Duvall, Chuck Hayward, Carlos Rivas, "Ken" Becker, "Red" Morgan, director Henry Hathaway and some of the True Grit crew members. It is believed to have been signed on the set of "True Grit".

This edition was owned by John Wayne and sold in 2012, when his family decided to sell some of his estate's memorabilia. Catalogs of listed items for sale were made available online as well as a short documentary on DVD for both would-be buyers and fans of John Wayne's. This media allowed fans to enjoy mostly never-before-seen memorabilia. Copies of the DVD are still available on some online book seller sites.

The RED arrow in the second picture was placed to the right of John Wayne's autograph.

First Edition Hardback True Grit book by Charles Portis_sold by John Wayne's estate-gcf.jpg
First Edition Hardback True Grit book by Charles Portis_sold by John Wayne's estate-gcf.jpg (104.65 KiB) Viewed 243 times
Charles Portis - True Grit - Signed by Cast-GCF.jpg
Charles Portis - True Grit - Signed by Cast-GCF.jpg (137.81 KiB) Viewed 243 times
Charles Portis - True Grit book inside cover signed by Glen Campbell-J. Wayne's estate-gcf.jpg
Charles Portis - True Grit book inside cover signed by Glen Campbell-J. Wayne's estate-gcf.jpg (144.94 KiB) Viewed 243 times

dee2

Celebrating Glen Campbell's "True Grit"

Post by dee2 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:38 pm

"True Grit", the movie, premiered 49 years ago on June 11, 1969. Glen Campbell Forums On The Net is celebrating its 49th anniversary before the big silvery "50" next year (which will be really, really big). True Grit, the novel written by Charles Portis and published by S&S in 1968, is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year with special literary events held in the author's home state of Arkansas.

The longevity of True Grit, the film and the novel, offers an opportunity to celebrate Glen Campbell's 'true grit', the remarkable code of grit he lived by for most, if not all, of his life but particularly during his seven-year battle with Alzheimer's disease.

In the film, Tom Chaney and Ned Pepper were the enemies fearlessly confronted and defeated by the threesome with grit. In Glen's own life, Alzheimer's disease was the enemy, one that could not be physically defeated. If only life could be scripted like a film. Still, somehow, Glen faced down his enemy, not allowing it to defeat his spirit and the love he felt for family and friends, for longer than anyone had expected at the time of his diagnosis.
Tom Chaney: Everything happens to me, and now I'm shot by a child!
Rooster: Where's the girl, Ned?
Ned: She was in wonderful health when last I saw her. I can't answer for her now.
Rooster: You'll answer for her now! Where is she?
La Boeuf: [from far off, in outlaw camp] Rooster, make a run for it! I've got Mattie! Chaney too!
Ned: Well, Rooster, will you give us the road? I have business elsewhere.
Rooster: Farrell, you and your brother stand clear. I've got no interest in you today. Stand clear and you won't get hurt.
Harold: ****-a-doodle-doo! [other outlaws laugh]
Ned: What's your intention, Rooster? You think one on four is a dog-fall?
Rooster: I mean to kill you in one minute, Ned, or see you hanged at Fort Smith at Judge Parker's convenience. Which'll it be?
Ned: I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man!
Rooster: Fill your hand, you son of a b*tch! -"True Grit"
In the face of insurmountable health challenges, Glen--with the support of his remarkable family--also courageously toured for about 18 months, participated in an award-winning documentary and soundtrack, brought the realities of Alzheimer's disease to the pubic including Congress, performed his signature song on stage at the 2012 Grammy Awards in front of billions of viewers world-wide, and recorded an album produced by Carl Jackson. These accomplishments, achieved between 2011 and 2013, are just the highlights, of course.

Beginning at the time of Glen Campbell's diagnosis, one could say he and his family responded to Alzheimer's disease by telling it to:
"Fill your hand, you son of a b*tch!"

This week I posted pictures relating to True Grit on Glen Campbell Forums' facebook page and will post the same pictures (and more) in this topic for Glen's large fan base on the world wide web. The first photo is of Glen taken in 2012 or 2013, after he had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. I believe the photo was shot when Glen was in an editing room working on his personal film of true grit: 'Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me'. Glen's reflection in what appears to be a mirror shows him watching a clip from a film, a very special one.

Glen Campbell_Photo_I'll Be Me_True Grit as reflected in mirror-GCF.jpg
Glen Campbell_Photo_I'll Be Me_True Grit as reflected in mirror-GCF.jpg (79.99 KiB) Viewed 246 times
Dee
(c) 2018 D. Zink for Glen Campbell Forums On The Net All Rights Reserved
www.GlenCampbellForums.com