Glen Campbell and Jimmy Webb - currently 45 pages here

* JIMMY WEBB * SESSION WORK * NEW ALBUM "ADIOS" * GLEN ON YOUTUBE * AND MORE!

Re: Glen Campbell and Jimmy Webb

Postby Dee » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:18 am

Hi, Mike,

In reply to your post below about the length of Jimmy Webb's new memoir, I read that it covers only about the first 5 years of his career with fast, unfolding, "somewhat surreal" events, interwoven with stories about his father, grandfather and other influential Webb relations.

This is an article in which Jimmy addresses the editing process as recommended by his editor:

Jimmy Webb at the Piano-gcf.jpg
Jimmy Webb at the Piano-gcf.jpg (24.81 KiB) Viewed 91 times

Oklahoma native Jimmy Webb to share tales of his meteoric rise in music
Tulsa World
By James D. Watts Jr.
Apr 23, 2017
JIMMY WEBB: “I wanted the book to capture this somewhat surreal sequence of events, which I thought moving between the past and present would achieve,” Webb said. “Originally, it was a much longer book, about 300,000 words, but my editor wanted it down to 120,000. That was hard to do because so many little episodes and events had to be dropped. But I’m pleased with the book. The tempo of it, that acceleration, is more in tune with the way the actual events unfolded. It was all such a blur to me as a young person.”

SOURCE: http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/scene/a ... 4eaa0.html
New to Glen Campbell Forums? When you reach the bottom of this page, click on the next page number ------>
Dee
Site Admin

Postby Dee » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:04 pm

JIMMY WEBB ON IMUS IN THE MORNING
“America’s Songwriter” Jimmy Webb stops by the studio to talk with the I-Man about his new book "The Cake and the Rain".
April 18, 2017

Don't miss the Phoenix and Johnny Rivers story as shared by Jimmy, a topic of much discussion here on Glen Campbell Forums. :)

:arrow: http://www.imus.com/video/2017/4/18/jimmy-webb.html
New to Glen Campbell Forums? When you reach the bottom of this page, click on the next page number ------>
Dee
Site Admin

Postby Dee » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:42 pm

Jimmy Webb on John Lennon's Lost Weekend, Writing for Frank Sinatra
Veteran songwriter recalls his hard-partying early days, brushes with the Beatles and other career highs and lows chronicled in new memoir
RollingStone.com
April 17, 2017

:arrow: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu ... ra-w476622

2017-04-17_RollingStone_Jimmy Webb_Portrait by H.D.-gcf.jpg
2017-04-17_RollingStone_Jimmy Webb_Portrait by H.D.-gcf.jpg (17.38 KiB) Viewed 107 times

Photo Credit: Henry Diltz

[edited 4/19/17 by Dee]
Dee
Site Admin

Postby Mike Joyce » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:14 pm

This is going to be a good read for the fans. But it will only be up to the early seventies as I understand it, so I hope there will be a second edition follow up,otherwise it will be a half baked cake in the rain.
Mike Joyce

Postby Dee » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:54 am

Someone Left the Cake Out in the Rain
mankatofreepress.com
April 1, 2017

For fans who may have always wondered about the meaning of "MacArthur Park", as does the writer of a column published today, have hope!

The article is a mixed bag, but the first comment to it is most interesting! Laura Savini, wife of Jimmy Webb, commented with an intriguing reveal about Jimmy's new book:

2017-04-01_Laura Savini Comments on DJ's article.jpg
2017-04-01_Laura Savini Comments on DJ's article.jpg (51.19 KiB) Viewed 172 times

Source: http://www.mankatofreepress.com/mankato ... b13a5.html
Dee
Site Admin

Postby Dee » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:17 pm

The Cake and the Rain_Jimmy Webb_Updated Cover.jpg
The Cake and the Rain_Jimmy Webb_Updated Cover.jpg (32.96 KiB) Viewed 206 times

Jimmy Webb's new book is available for pre-order "everywhere" now! The publication date is still April 18th!

To enter to win a giveaway for a copy of the book, go to "goodreads" site at: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/314 ... d-the-rain
Offer ends tomorrow, March 24th!

A couple of early reviews (non-professional) are posted on goodreads, too.
The Cake and The Rain is a surprising and unusual book: Webb’s talent as a writer and storyteller is here on every page. His book is rich with a sense of time and place, and with the voices of characters, vanished and living, famous and not, but all intimately involved with him in his youth, when life seemed nothing more than a party and Webb the eternal guest of honor.
Dee
Site Admin

Postby Dee » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:15 pm

MAJOR EVENT ANNOUNCEMENT!

A Celebration of the Music of Jimmy Webb!

An open-to-the-public, all-star tribute is being held in honor of Grammy-winning hit-maker Jimmy Webb!

Now you can meet Jimmy and have your cake, too!

Where: Carnegie Hall, New York City
When: May 3, 2017

This event follows the April 18th release of JW's new memoir The Cake and The Rain and coincides with the upcoming 50th anniversary of “Wichita Lineman.”

VIP tixs on sale now!
General admission tickets go on sale Wednesday, March 22nd, at 9 am.
100% of the proceeds will benefit the Alzheimer's Association in honor of Glen Campbell.
FOR MORE INFO ABOUT THIS EVENT, TICKETS, AND JIMMY WEBB'S FORTHCOMING BOOK, go to: http://www.musicof.org/

--and in related news--

Jimmy Webb Tribute Books Ashley Campbell, Toby Keith and Dwight Yoakam!
Other performers include: Amy Grant, Art Garfunkel, Billy Davis, Jr., Johnny Rivers, Judy Collins, Marilyn McCoo of Fifth Dimension and Jimmy Webb himself.

Read all about it here: http://www.cmt.com/news/1778726/jimmy-w ... ht-yoakam/

See you there?
Dee
Site Admin

Postby Dee » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:44 pm

Rob, thank you, your JW stories are golden. Thanks so much for sharing!
Dee
Dee
Site Admin

Postby robduloc » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:07 pm

The first night Jimmy Webb gets quiet, "My wife mentioned since I am Spiritual, perhaps I should pray more"... a Pause... Jimmy Webb sharing with his people... takes a deep breath through his nose, a filter perhaps, reaches his innermost soul, raises the level or volume of his voice one notch, assertively... "If you see me breathing, I am praying"!

Dead silence, I think at that moment we were all breathless, Jimmy Webb stole our heart.
robduloc

Postby robduloc » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:57 pm

Thank you, Mike for your kind reply!

I just discovered a version of "Wichita Lineman" on the Creed Taylor Jazz Label from the early 70's.

And last Friday, I read all of Glen's biography up to around page 175- in one sitting~

Glen talks about bringing John Hartford on board for his show, far as I can read into the subject a follow up to Gentle On My Mind was crucial and most of the time when the author is talking about Jimmy Webb it's about "By The Time I Get To Phoenix".

And so it really is about moving forward!

After seeing Jimmy Webb in person, I think "Wichita Lineman" is the number that occupies his thoughts and Glen Campbell's biography says Webb had a little more to shape the song than Webb mentioned.

The second night I saw him, Jimmy Webb talked about what it was like to come to L.A. and receive three cars for a present by his manager, the first one "A Mustang"... "Oh, wait a minute- A Cobra was the first one"! ooh!

I am sorry if any record collectors noticed that I said Common did the bridge on "Jam", I meant to say Heavy D who help discover and produce the wonderful R&B Band from New York "Soul For Real".

The lead singer of Soul For Real right now is talking about how difficult it is to get their new songs on the air, and they even tried to put on all the filters to sound like what is popular right now. I'm sure that everyone can relate how important it is to be genuine. Another case where this artist has some really good new music out there and ought to be able to throw away a formula if it doesn't work.

Kenye West did produce a good album with his friend Common, that was a number of years ago.

Has anyone heard the story, Brian Wilson showed up on Webb's doorstep on Jimmy's Birthday... in his bathrobe with a bottle of "DOM"... Wilson falters at the door looks around Jimmy Webb's shoulders and says, "You got dark Wings around you"!

Jimmy Webb pauses, dead silence in the club, "If anybody got that right... about anything concerning me, that was it"!

My initial reaction was to see the wings in my mind, later I thought that it sounded a lot like a 19th Century Composer's Cape and Cowl!

That seals it for me, Brian Wilson and Jimmy Webb knew each other in a past life.

I, uh, haven't listened to the new Kenye West sample yet because Jimmy Webb was angered and so I didn't care to promote it, and on behalf the music community I would like to thank Jimmy Webb and Taylor Swift for giving the world something to dream and hold on to. You are an inspiration for this Generation and next one to come.

I love you, Glen Campbell Community.

Thank you, Mike.
robduloc

PreviousNext

Return to All Things Glen