Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell and Jimmy Webb

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
admin
Site Admin

Re: Glen Campbell and Jimmy Webb

Post by admin »

Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 03:09 am:

Wow, Erik. Wonderful information. Thank you very much!

I was wondering about this: does Jimmy Webb remember hearing Glen's version of By the Time I Get to Phoenix for the first time on the radio? As he was not involved in that recording, he probably heard it on the radio first. And what would his thoughts have been? Jimmy was an early Glen Campbell fan, buying "Turn Around Look at Me" as a kid (the first 45rpm record he ever bought!). Did he love Glen's version right away, or did he also immediately notice the small changes Glen made to his song? It would be interesting to hear from Jimmy if he remembers about this.

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 01:01 am:

Info about Glen Campbell`s recording of "Wichita Lineman"!
1968: The 4th November, issued Glen Campbell another lp, titled "Wichita Lineman", only the title track on the disc is written by J.W.
And YES, this tune is about a telephone installer high up in a telephone pole and not a lineman on a ship.
Glen had asked J.W. write "Wichita" as a kind of "follow-up" to "By The Time I Get To Phoenix" – this tune is also one of the world most recorded tune – on BMI copyrights list 1990, 50 years list is this #no. 3., and yes #no. 1. is Beatles “Yesterday”.
Glen calculates "Wichita Lineman" for his "all-time" favorite song that later in the United States was elected "Most Played Song of the Millennium" in country music.
Carol Kaye, legendary guitarist and bassist and known including from her time with Phil Spector`s The Wrecking Crew.
She said to me back in 2005, in an e-mail that J.W. played piano on the title track, Al Casey, guitar, Jim Gordon, drums and Glen had lent Kaye`s Danelectro baritone 6-string bass guitar to play the famous bass solo piece.
Kaye is on electric bass.
The super nice intro to number is also something that Kaye took on.
The legendary sound of the title track, due to the fact that it was brought J.W.s Gulbranson organ, a simplified church organ down to the studio.
The organ had at the time a very early digital technology.
The organ was happily used instead of using a Moog synthesizer.
And J.W. was especially delighted with the beautiful arrangement that was made by late Al De Lory.
LP: Billboard Top-100 Albums list, debut on 16th November, highest position #no. 1., holding this position for 5 weeks. 46 weeks on the list.
LP: Billboard Country Albums list, highest position #no. 1.
LP: Cash Box Country Album list debut on 23th November, highest position #no. 1., 42 weeks on the list. 11 weeks in first place.
Gold Records Certifications (RIAA), 18th November.
Achieves twice Multi-Platinum status, 4,000,000 ex. sold.
45: "Wichita Lineman" single, recorded on 27th May and 14th August.
Billboard Pop list, Hot-100, debut the second November, highest position #no. 3, 11th January 1969, the last day of the 8th February 1969.
Billboard Easy Listening list, debut the 2th November, highest position #no. 1., 14th, 21th and 28th December, and the fourth, 11th and 18th January 1969, the last day of the 1th March 1969.
Billboard Country list, debut also the 2th November, highest position #no. 1., 21th and 28th December, the last day of the 8th March 1969.
Gold Records Certifications (RIAA), 22th January 1969.
Reviewed in Billboard magazine as a single, 26th October.
#no. 7 location in the UK, debut on the list, 29th January 1969, a total of 13 weeks on the list.

sincerely

erik "the Dane"

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Friday, August 10, 2012 - 05:27 pm:

Hi Siblis!

I don`t think I needed so much now, but right air date will be nice!

Also if Jimmy Webb was singing or "only" talking!

I understand there ONLY was one J.W. song that Glen did in this show, as I mention!

sincerely

erik "the Dane"

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Friday, August 10, 2012 - 01:40 pm:

Erik....I have a copy of that Bobby Bare Special with Glen & Jimmy...what info do you need?

-Siblis

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Friday, August 10, 2012 - 12:38 pm:

Bobby Bare and Friends!

Looks like both Glen and Jimmy was on the show!

See here
http://newspaperarchive.com/huntingdon- ... 12/page-24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like this was air on tv Tuesday 16th October 1984.
Maybe air in other parts of country before???

This above info is from Huntingdon Daily News, don`t know which state.

sincerely

erik "the Dane"

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Friday, August 10, 2012 - 09:45 am:

Not to change the subject, but does anyone know if Faithless Love is on a cd....I would love to purchase it.

-Edythe

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Friday, August 10, 2012 - 09:43 am:

Based on my recollection, JW was not on the show. Glen sang Faithless Love and Galveston.

-Roberthd

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Friday, August 10, 2012 - 03:04 am:

Hi around!

Do anyone know what Glen sings in

BOBBY BARE and Friends tv show 1984

who include Jimmy Webb

sincerely

erik "the Dane"

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2012 - 03:39 pm:

There's an online article from Billboard Magazine (sept 23, 2000) that gives a little information on this. The show at the Ryman was taped somewhere in 1999, resulting in the first three videos. Then, because of the success of the first series, another show was taped in march 2000. The first two videos from that show were released september 26, 2000. The last two were released in 2001.

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2012 - 03:18 pm:

Hi Cowpoke!

BUT this YEAR INFO include - is THIS THE RIGHT YEAR, when it was taped?????

sincerely

erik "the Dane"