Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell and Jimmy Webb

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
admin
Site Admin

Re: Glen Campbell and Jimmy Webb

Post by admin »

Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 03:58 pm:

Lulu,

There is an excellent write-up about the song on wikipedia.

Just search : MacArthur Park (song)

-randy moore

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 03:20 pm:

Hi Lulu!
About Last Unicorn movie, what I know today is Jimmy Webb "only" behind this tunes with text included, not the instrumental part, what we been told.

About J.W. and what "MacArthur Park", means, I don`t think it was that questions Jimmy was ask, but the lines; "And someone left the cake out in the rain", from that song.
Lines there in a way, is as what means Beatles song "Strawberry fields forever".
NOT all can be explain, and dear J.W. has OVER and OVER again got this questions, and when you has been ask this 10.000 of times, it is maybe not so funny anymore.
What will you had done?
MacArthur Park, is a park in Los Angeles, and if I think right you can translate "And someone left the cake out in the rain" = The LOVE who was left there, out in the rain.

The song was about another much dear friend of mine, A TRUE STORY, who around this time married another man, not Jimmy.

Also she is mention in another hit around this time, late 1960`ties "Worst that could happen`" with group Brooklyn Bridge.

sincerely

erik "the Dane"

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 09:45 am:

I was at an outdoor venue on Long Island last evening seeing America in concert and they introduced our 'new oyster bay neighbor" Jimmy Webb from the audience. Mentioned they are re-releasing The Last Unicorn, the film's music was composed and arranged by Jimmy Webb, with songs performed by the group America. The radio host said he had asked Jimmy the question that all of america wants to know 'what's the meaning of McArthur Park?" and his reply was "I could tell you but then I would have to kill you!!!" cracked me up!!!! Perhaps Erik could provide some insight on that song?

-Lulu

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2012 - 04:48 pm:

Thanks Erik for your wonderful story. Keep them coming! I can't believe you really became friends with Suzie from "Where's the Playground Suzie"! How great is that!

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2012 - 08:14 am:

Dear all!

I have private meet Glen Campbell (some times) and Jimmy Webb many time.
Last time with Glen was in London late 2011 after his concert at The Royal Festival Hall.
Glen was so kind to sign my rare music sheet for "Where`s the playground Susie?", sign both by Susie (Suzy), J.W. and now Glen.
I know one of Glens son CAL, because he has play with J.W.s son.

Just here early June been first in New York, where I over phone talk short with J.W. and was out with J.W.s lovely wife Laura to eat on a famous restaurant there in town, and to a screening of The Wrecking Crew movie and said short hello to Denny Tedesco, son of legendary guitar player in this "group" Tommy T.

Then I was in Arizona, with members of family to girlsinger Linda Ronstadt family, who Suzy now days are married into.
I was lucky to bring with me to bring a rare recordings of this tune "Where`s the playground Susie?" to Suzy, tell no more.
Was there in 5 days private, and even to Fathers Days Celebrate in this family.
Also up in the mountains and in caves and to music, private and out in town.
Both Suzy husband and Suzy are much skill music people, and Suzy sings much beautifull and even play guitar and piano.
Fahrenheit was around 105 there in Arizona.

Was then in Texas, Austin, again to The Mickey Newbury Gathering.
M.N., music legend as Jimmy Webb sadly died in 2002, only 62.
Glen has as told before recorded two M.N. tunes "An American Trilogy" and one more.
M.N.s lovely mother Miss Mamie was there again, 91 and "No signs of age" as J.W. wrote in one of his songs.
I have been to this Gathering all years since 2004 in Texas, mostly in Austin.

Was because of fate also so lucky to meet a old friend there in town Greg Johnston, who own the famous club The Blue Door in Oklahoma City.
It was because my friend Barry was telling me at my arrival in Austin, that a skill singer call John Fullbright was in town, and he has been "warm up" for J.W. when he was in at The Blue Door to sing.
It was a outside "short concert" outside, downtown Austin and as last number I got J.W.s tune "If you see me getting smaller" as a gift for me this evening I guess.
Picture was taken with me, Fullbright and Johnston.
Fahrenheit was also around 105 there in Texas.

sincerely

erik "the Dane"

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Friday, April 27, 2012 - 09:21 pm:

Beth,

Listening to Glen perform JW songs is a wonderful, he's covered so many, so well....it's a joy to listen to a magical pairing of genius songwriter and his master interpretive singer.

Beyond the obvious tracks here are some lesser known tracks on various GC albums worth seeking out:

Off Bloodline Album- Christiaan No
Off Southern Nights- Early Morning Song and This is Sarah's Song
off Light Years- Lightning In A Bottle

off Reunion- Ocean In His Eyes and You Might As Well Smile are personal favs in addition to Moons A Harsh Mistress.

They'll provide endless hours of enjoyment. Also many gems on youtube of Glen performing various JW songs over the years.

-Hyde

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Friday, April 27, 2012 - 08:14 pm:

Beth - Hi and welcome to the forum. I have just discovered two Glen/Jimmy collaborations on the reissue of the CD "It's Just a Matter of Time." namely - Shattered and Do What You Gotta Do! They are both wonderful and new to me.

-Edythe

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Friday, April 27, 2012 - 07:55 pm:

I have been listening to a lot of Jimmy Webb and a lot of that is GC singing Jimmy Webb. Both are amazing. Some of the songs are lyrically simple but so effective like "Galveston" and "Wichita Lineman." Others are crypic and poetic like "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" or even "Susie."But, all of them are complex and unique musically. Glen seems to connect with every one of them that he sings. I really love his take on "Moon" and "If You're Still Within the Sound of My Voice."

-Beth Collins

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2012 - 08:27 pm:

I am posting a link to the Kansas City Star review of Jimmy Webb's show at Knuckleheads in KC, Friday night. Wish I'd been there to hear his stories about all of those great songs and performers, (including Glen Campbell).

http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment ... ossip.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Almeda Edwards

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 03:04 pm:

Thank you for that bit of interesting information Eric.

-Will.