Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell and Jimmy Webb

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
admin
Site Admin

Re: Glen Campbell and Jimmy Webb

Post by admin »

Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2012 - 02:44 pm:

Erik,
you can find the information here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Campb ... ous_albums" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1999 Ryman Country Homecoming Vol. 1
"Gentle on My Mind" (live)
"Cryin'" (live)

1999 Ryman Country Homecoming Vol. 2
"Rhinestone Cowboy" (live)

2000 Ryman Country Homecoming Vol. 3
"By the Time I Get to Phoenix" (live)

2000 Ralph Emery's Country Homecoming
"Southern Nights" (live)

2000 Country Legends Homecoming
"Dream Baby" (live)

2001 Ralph Emery and Friends
"It's Only Make Believe" (live)
"Wichita Lineman" (live)

2001 All Star Jam
"Highwayman" (live) with Kris Kristofferson
"Galveston" (live)

Those performance have all been released on video as well. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Campb ... s_and_DVDs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think two of those shows have been released on DVD.

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2012 - 01:26 pm:

When was this dvd, video recorded in Nashville - around 2000???

Ralph Emery host mostly

I looking for Jimmy Webb tracks, dates, years (most important)

VHS "All star jam"

VHS "Ryman Country Homecoming"

DVD "Ralph Emery`s Country Legends Serie" Vol. One.

All have 1-2 rare recordings of a J.W. song done live in Nashville by Glen - even "Highwayman" with Glen and Kris Kristofferson.

sincerely

erik "the Dane"

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2012 - 05:47 am:

In a USA newspaper interview in April 30, 1971, Jimmy Webb says, he have just wrote "a hit" for Glen Campbell titel "Red Clay County Line".

BUT! J.W. ad, Glen won`t record this!
Jimmy says it was a hit!

I love this tune and actor Peggy Lipton recorded this with help of J.W. on a 45.

BUT!
If I know right my friend Eirik "the Norwegian" Wangberg (producer for Sir Paul McCartney, David Foster and more) was producer on a DEMO recordings with Glen Campbell of this tune - I think was made.

sincerely

erik "the Dane"

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 08:54 am:

What to say!
From Glen Campbell Souvenir Programme April 1977, I got bought used!

UK program INFO!
1972: Glen Campbell is only American entertainer to perform at The Royal Film Performance singing "By the time I get to Phoenix" a request of the Queen Mother - the British Queen Elizabeth`s II mother.

sincerely

erik "the Dane"

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Monday, July 16, 2012 - 02:45 pm:

Thank you one and all for your replies! Such a wealth of info! I found the wikipedia info very informative. Its a hauntingly beautiful song no matter what the meaning ! Keeping my fingers crossed to see Glen and Jimmy perform together again.

-Lulu

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2012 - 06:29 pm:

I see "I love my truck" as a kind of sequel to American Pie. The answer to "drove my chevy to the levy", simply too deep to be understood:-)

-Anders Thelin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2012 - 10:34 am:

Now if someone could just explain the deep meaning behind the lyrics to "I Love My Truck", my life would be complete!

-Hyde

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2012 - 12:21 am:

Thanks to all of you who provided input to understanding the lyrics to MacArthur Park. Until I read your posts, and then the Wikipedia information, I was clueless about this song's meaning...particularly:
"Someone left the cake out in the rain
and I don't think that I can take it
'cause it took so long to bake it
and I'll never have that recipe again
Oh, no!"

It makes sense now that cake = (abandoned) love.

-Dee Zink

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Friday, July 13, 2012 - 03:11 am:

Very interesting Stephen. I agree with most of it. I did try to unravel this song myself once and wrote it down. Maybe I can find it somewhere and post it.

But did he really sing I will never *house* that recipe again? I always thought he sang "I will never *have* that recipe again"!

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Friday, July 13, 2012 - 02:09 am:

Here is my interpretation of some of the lyrics from Mcarther Park. As they say in England I might be talking claptrap, which is another word word for rubbish,others have might have a more direct word,but here goes.

Spring was never waiting for us girl

(The spring represents his dream of marriage or a time when they are completely happy)

It ran one step ahead as we followed in a dance

Like young immature lovers or dreamers, they or at least he followed this dream of a magic time in their relation, which in fact was never going to be right from the start)

Someone left the cake out in the rain

(One of them didn't try or bother to carry on with the effort of making the relation work, or tried too hard and neglected to see the damage it was doing)

I don't think that I can take it,cause it took so long to bake it

(This represents all the time and effort he feels he had put into making the relation work,may have included lost opportunities and sacrifice).

I,ll never house that recepie again

(The recipie represents the way or the effort, or the things he did to make his dream relation work-might have included excessive gesture such as flowers every year !, or materialistic presents. May simply have been over possesive).

By saying he won't house the recipe again he is say next time he has a relationship he won't do all the same stuff again to try and make it work. In other words he won't make the same mistakes.

There will be another song for me, and I will sing you near.

(this could mean another relationship with sommeone else,but he will imagine it is her, or it could mean that when he gets himself sorted there might be a chance for him to try to win her again-they never learn !)

After all the loves of my life I'll be thinking of you and wondering why ?

(Clearly he anticipates there will be others in the future but they won't compare, but still after all he did for this relation he is wondering why it went wrong)

Hopefully he found Mrs Right in the end and is now looking back and wondering what all the fuss was about.

After all Glen once sang 'For love is just a state of mind'

Would be interesting to hear how other people interpretate the lyrics.

By the way the term 'Macarther park' probably is an umberella term that covers all the aspects of this man's heavenly dream,which by 'melting in the dark' means he is realizing his perfect wish isn't going to happen. In my opinion the charecter in the song sounds far too over intense and wanted the relationship to work so badly, he ignored the warning signs and went into a state of denial. I think she did the right thing.

-stephen.taylor