Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Mac Davis (78) passed away

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Mike Joyce

Re: Mac Davis (78) passed away

Post by Mike Joyce »

Thanks for that info Cowpoke. You are a mine of information.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Hi Mike, the intro riff which you hear all through the song (daa da da da da. daa da da da) was invented by Steve Lukather. The solo was done by Eddie van Halen. The solo was recorded at the wrong speed which is why it sounds a little off key.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hi Cowpoke, are you saying it wasn't Van Halen playing that riff?, as I read it on the news items and assumed it to be true, although I didn't fact check it.
Steve Lukather, is a big Glen fan and I remember watching the youtube video of them talking together. I liked the way he pointed out Glen's habit of singing and playing a straightforward song and then finishing with a display of his great ability on the neck as if it was nothing out of the ordinary. That made me smile.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Hi Mike, interestingly enough... the Beat It INTRO guitar riff, which you then hear all through the song, was played AND made up by a great (studio) musisican who is also a Glen Campbell fan.... Steve Lukather of Toto. Kind of an 80s version of Carol Kaye inventing the iconic intro to Wichita Lineman. 😁

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

jay, I am with you and KMFrye54, I think the "beat it" intro is iconic and I respect the ability these guys show on the fretboard, as I did Glen. However I much prefer those players who can produce a melody within the playing which is readily identifiable. I.E. John Williams The Deer hunter, Cavatina etc. There is of course many great players like this, Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed and The Australian, I saw recently, live in Birmingham as part of the Transatlantic session show, Tommy Emmanuel. I find the fast finger work is fine but it gets a bit tiresome on the ears, where's a good melody entertains and moves the soul.

KMFrye54

Post by KMFrye54 »

As a non-Van Halen fan, the one truly searing solo that I recall is the one in Michael Jackson's "Beat It", which Eddie was apparently quite happy to re-create later for Weird Al Yankovic's parody- "Eat It!".

I have never been a fan of the "who can play the fastest?" game, nor of its "How many notes can I fit into one 4/4 bar?" variant.

The techniques he employed were not exactly original but he was a master at them.

Beyond that? Well, I am a flat-picker and have been for about 50 years. I'll take almost anything on as a challenge, but change? Not likely at this age.

As for Mac Davis- I was playing folk versions of "Baby, Don't Get Hooked on Me" and "Stop & Smell the Roses" while they were still on the charts.

jay

Post by jay »

Mike, good to hear from you.

I wore out a couple of Macs 8 tracks in the 70's...but I grew up about 100 miles from where he did and it was popular music.
I got to see him a couple of times and met him once. He was a gentleman and always seemed to have a story. It was a sad day when he passed...he truly seemed like a gentle nice guy.

Eddie Van Halen...well...the guy could certainly play the guitar. You had to respect that. He certainly sold a LOT of albums, you have to respect that...but tell me one song where his lead was memorable...a song you can hum...a lick he was envied by. He certainly was great at what he did. A great smile. An easy going stage presense. Sadly, he is gone also.

Unfortunatley we have reached a time where the guys we loved listening to will leave us.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hi Cowpoke, I see your still doing a great job keeping us well informed with all things Glen etc. As does jay and arlw, great to read the posts, I learn something new every time I look in.
I have watched a number of Helen and Mac's youtube videos. I had forgotten some of the great songs she sang. It really took me back to my teenage years. Mac Davis was a real talent wasn't he. I have to admit I hadn't realised all the songs he had written. A little less conversation, In the Ghetto, Memories and of course I'll paint you a song for Norwood.
There is a film that has just been released about Helen's life. The critic said it wasn't great, given the life that she led with all her ups and downs, the film could have much more entertaining. I remember Debbie Campbell didn't like her when she met her during Glen's TV Uk music show recording. She seemed very suspicious of her until she was informed she was Glen's daughter. Of course it may have been a misunderstanding, who knows.
We also lost Van Halen this week, another great guitarist. Perhaps on another thread we could suggest other guitarists we love or feel were/are as good as Glen. I'm sure jay could give a long list.
Stay safe everyone

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Thanks KMFrye54. That's definitely a great artist with a link to Glen...

KMFrye54

Post by KMFrye54 »

Another one....Helen Reddy joined the Band of the Angels, too.