The Glen Sound

Glen's history with Ovation and other guitar talk. NEW: Danny Schorr's GC Guitar Tutorials!

Re: The Glen Sound

Postby frankthetank » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:58 pm

Thanks again Jay! You are a fountain of information.
frankthetank

Postby jay » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:10 am

Frank,
The SD concert was towards the end of Jeff's tenure with Glen. I am sure you are familiar with the Line 6 Pod...he obviously was modding if he was using that at some point. And of course since they were making a CD and DVD, no doubt they wanted to make sure they got the sound Glen wanted at SD. So, no doubt they went above and beyond at that setting. But Jeff confirmed what I thought, they usually left their stuff at home and used what the venue had...went with a sound check and then showtime. During the tour, the G&L sounded clean to me Frank. The Hamer sounded compressed some...but electric 12s are hard to gauge to my ear...

And this just may be me...but Glen, during the tour, had problems being happy with what he was hearing through his monitor. He stuck with old school floors...so I am not too sure he was worried about tone...It appeared he was being overwhelmed by bass and volume...maybe it was just part of the confusion he was experiencing... Honestly, I think they just handed him a guitar, made sure he knew what key and let him take off. Of course he played wirelessly, so it is just a guess what he was plugged into. In Albuquerque, he thought his viper was out of tune, still having hi had a capo on and started to tune it and everyone yelled no! Too late. So Shannon took his part while they took Glen's viper and retuned it.. It was funny...Shannon said, dont worry dad, I got this...Glen said "are you sure" and Shannon nodded and then Glen made some face, teasing Shannon nodding and said something funny about kids and we'll see.
jay

Postby frankthetank » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:12 am

Jay bless you for the welcome and so much info on this topic. I was defense but mostly wrestled in High School. But an do I love playing guitar. Neil Young made me think it was possible and Glen Campbell made me want to strive to get better and better.

any info on effects like compressors etc? His tone on the DVD sounded very compressed and some chorus I think
I know layer it was just straight amp with a built in boost knob.
frankthetank

Postby jay » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:53 pm

Frank, here is what Jeff Dayton just shared with me about Glen's amp preference.

"He was always partial to old tube stuff like his 50s Fender Pro. He loved the old tweeds. We toured so long without personal amps that he got okay with what the back line company brought us. Here are the amps he used that I recall: always stock unless noted.
GK stereo compact model 250ML
Peavey Nashville 100
Fender Vibro King
Fender Dual Professional with 15" speaker, custom made
Fender Hot Rod DeVille
He also used a Line 6 POD for a while, one of the old ones, going into an amp.
After 2002 I don't know what he used."
jay

Postby jay » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:50 pm

Frank the Tank! Welcome to the Forum!!!
Heck of a name...Offense or Defense?

I honestly don't know if Glen preferred one amp over another. I have emailed Shannon and Jeff to inquire. I have never read an article where he mentioned a fondness for one amp.
Glen played a strat at the SD venue. He played a G&L Comanche during the goodbye tour.
Similar guitars. Both designed by Leo Fender.

I saw Glen 3 times on the goodbye tour. I felt he just DI'ed into the house mix board/system.
I will let you know what I hear, if anything, about a particular amp he used.
btw, you may have already seen it, but with a little help from Jeff Dayton, I documented a little info on Glen's fondness of the Strat RIGHT HERE
jay

The Glen Sound

Postby frankthetank » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:36 pm

I love the tone glen got around the time of the Farewell tour. I especially loved his sound from the 2001 DVD with the SD Symphony.
What amp setting or effects do you all use to try and get that sound? I use a modified Strat that I added Lace Sensor gold pickups to. I also use a Japanese Reissue telecaster with Heavy bottom strings when I wanna play those thick tremolo solos of his. Please share!
frankthetank

Return to Big Bad Rock Guitar