Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Differences between Korea & US Made?

Everything from Glen Campbell's history with Ovation, other guitar talk, and guitar picks!
kvalois

Re: Differences between Korea & US Made?

Post by kvalois »

Thanks, Jay!

jay

Post by jay »

Then you would be in standard...

Many 12-string guitarists tune down a half-step or even a whole-step below standard.
1. easier to fret
2. IMO, you get a bigger sound out of it
3 Most importantlym I think...reduces strain on the neck and body. I would wager the majority of older O 12's that have been kept at standard, have the neck caving into the hole, to some degree. If you want longevity out of your O12, my suggestion is to tune down.

If you are buying a used O 12, or any 12 for that matter... Check that neck angle!!!

kvalois

Post by kvalois »

Jay:

That is interesting!! Why tune down a whole step and capo up to the 2nd fret???

jay

Post by jay »

I believe that DW has exerted a little more quality control over the Asian models. They do appear to have a better fit and finish. Just my .02, if and when you get one and it is a roundback, I would tune a step lower and capo at the 2nd.

kvalois

Differences between Korea & US Made?

Post by kvalois »

Hi, everyone:

I am interested in buying an Ovation Custom Legend 12-string (Natural color). Today, I played a number of Korean-made Ovations at a music store in CT that were nice sounding-- some for only $300-400!!! So, what do the experts here say? Are the New Hartford, CT (American) models really THAT much better? Certainly, there is a big price difference!!!