Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

1977 Fender Telecaster

Everything from Glen Campbell's history with Ovation, other guitar talk, and guitar picks!
dee2

Re: 1977 Fender Telecaster

Post by dee2 »

Thanks jay!
That 6/12 Mosrite had to be the heaviest, bulkiest (wide) guitar GC had played to date.
Perhaps this explains why Glen gave it away in '68, 69, especially if the person who received Glen's gift had admired the guitar.
Dee

jay

Post by jay »

Dee, they weigh the same today and if I were betting...the strat weighs more than the tele. And surely, Glens teisco weighted more than either one of those. I know the 6/12 Mosrite weighed 2x as much as any regular electric guitar. I think that is why he loved those Bluebirds...they had to weigh next to nothing in comparison.

dee2

Post by dee2 »

I wonder if GC felt the Fender Telecaster, particularly the older generation Fender, was too much like a "boat anchor" than a guitar? Obviously, Jerry did not.
Dee

jay

Post by jay »

Very cool that they have this in the exhibit. Boo had to have an older one than this 70's model. Here is Glen playing a blonde Tele in the 50's. Interestingly, the Telecaster that Glen had in the early 50's would have been cutting edge, as Fender started production in 51. It is pretty clear that Glen didn't warm up to the bite and twang of the Tele and preferred the pickup arrangement of the Strat, probably relating to the neck pickup.

Jerry Reed loved Fenders. If you want to hear a Telecaster's signature sound...Listen to Jerry playing it in this video with Glen on a Gibson ES335.
[youtube]https://youtube.com/watch?v=QUj6gxggxBU[/youtube]

dee2

Post by dee2 »

Regarding the solid body 1977 Fender Telecaster pictured here: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=516#p8136

It appears to be the same Telecaster (S726019) now on display at the Musicians Hall of Fame in Nashville, TN. Worthy of mention because this was Gene ("Boo") Campbell's guitar and Glen and other family members played it as well: