Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen's Guitars - Original Topic from 2011

Everything from Glen Campbell's history with Ovation, other guitar talk, and guitar picks!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Glen's Guitars - original topic from 2011

Post by admin »

Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 08:01 am:

Is there a good place to find guitar tabs for Glen's music? I know I have gotten help here before on some more obscure songs like Still Within the Sound of my Voice. IS there one website that's better than the others or a file I could possible find or receive :-) THX

-Jeff B.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2011 - 12:36 pm:

Yes I know; I'd love another Tacoma (One of those solidbody/cool soundhole jobs), and I have no clue how to work ebay/paypal (Yeah, even as a youngster). I'd rather have a new one over a used one... I own one used guitar, and it needed major work (I bought it when I knew nothing about guitars other than what chords to play and four songs!). It plays fine now, but it took a long time and serious cash to get it fixed up. I've traded in several guitars, and have always left them in pristine condition.

-Bucky

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2011 - 09:10 am:

"If I had the money".

Boy, isn't that true for all of us. You can get exactly what you want by having it built, but you can end up spending $7500 and up. I don't have that kind of money to spend on a guitar.

Fender shut down Tacoma 2-3 years ago when they moved the Guild production to the Ovation factory. I always thought that Tacoma made a really good guitar at a really good price.....

-Paul

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2011 - 02:37 am:

RT's a big part of my music world. I tried to play like him for over two years, and have since lost interest. I just play my own style, I reckon.

I own a Tacoma DM9, rare sunburst model. Tacoma is a defunct company, which has been owned by Fender since... 06, I believe. I think they were actually handmade, and even when Fender bought them, they were still quality instruments. My only problem is that it doesn't always get the highs I want - The bass strings are bassy, the treble strings are well balanced; I like a little treble with my top strings so they standout when you finger pick. The funny thing is, I have yet to find a guitar that fits this criteria, and I don't care for most of the big brands. If I had money, I'd get one of my local Virginia luthiers to build me something.

-Bucky

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2011 - 02:09 am:

Bucky, you don't have to be a fan of Ovations. I always tell people that I don't expect to like my guitars as much as I like them. I do hope that they like their guitars as much as I like my guitars.

Richard Thompson is terrific, but what does he have to do with this conversation? Did I miss something?

What acoustics do you play? If they put a smile on your face then they are great guitars. That's the only criteria.....

-Bucky

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Monday, May 02, 2011 - 12:25 am:

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the Ovation sound... Neither is Richard Thompson for that matter. I'm more into Glen's electric sound. The solos on the Live! Greatest Hits album are so smooth sounding, and the humbucker in the Strat makes such a unique tone.

-Bucky

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2011 - 03:08 pm:

I'm reading and enjoying the detail in your posts. Keep writing Paul!

- tonyp411

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2011 - 02:57 pm:

Me too. I read and then look up the models on Google.

M.

-Marco Kilmer

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2011 - 02:39 pm:

I'm reading these hahaha

-Frank Sina

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2011 - 01:23 pm:

Oh, I also forgot that in 1981 Ovation custom built 2 super shallow bowl Adamas guitar (referred to on the Ovation Fan Club board as Adamii (plural)). One was a steel string and one a nylon string. He played the steel string for only about a half year before he got the Elite prototype. The nylon string he played for 3-4 years, I think.

Bluebird now owns the steel string and the nylon string is owned here in SoCal.

Is anybody besides Bluebird reading these? Am I wasting my time?

-Paul