Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Thanks Glen Campbell

Everything from Glen Campbell's history with Ovation, other guitar talk, and guitar picks!
jay

Re: Thanks Glen Campbell

Post by jay »

Smithpatel

Very touching. I think that a lot of us have stories that in one way or another mirror parts of yours. Yes, I was also sad, but happy to see Glen 3 times on his farewell tour. He definitely shaped a lot of who I wanted to emulate, as a person and musician. As with many of the greats, you soon learn what they did is unobtainable, in terms of recreating it...but Glen certainly was "instrumental" in getting me started on my journey.

Thanks for your interest in Glen's Forum and your time for posting about your relationship with him.

Cowpoke

Re: Thanks Glen Campbell

Post by Cowpoke »

Hi Smithpatel, welcome to Glen Campbell Forums and thank you so much for posting your story. I think a lot of fans can relate to it and how Glen is such a big part of the soundtrack of their life. And how funny you came full circle by marrying an Arkansas girl! Hope to see you posting more, we like long posts! :D

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Smithpatel

Thanks Glen Campbell

Post by Smithpatel »

This is quite long so I wouldn't blame any of you for not reading it but I just needed to say it. Thanks Glen Campbell. My earliest musical memories are of you when I was 5 yrs old, 1969. As an English kid living in Pompey that may sound strange as Portsmouth is not a hotbed of American country music but my mother had a cassette of his "Glen Campbell Live" album (where she got it from I will never know) and I played that thing to death. I knew all the words to every song. My favourites were Dreams of the Everyday Housewife, Gentle on my Mind, and the Jimmy Webb trio: Didn't We, Where's the Playground Susie and By the Time I get to Phoenix. His voice just spoke to me. Made me smile. Then time moved on, I had discovered Elvis and everything changed for me. The cassette was pushed to the back of my cassette holder/shoebox as I discovered all kinds of new music: Slade, Bowie and T Rex were making it big mid 70's which transitioned into AC/DC and Motörhead and so on through my school/college years. During the 80's in my 20's I was a DJ on the side and I had started to mellow a bit. Soul music had entered my life and Luther Vandross was like a god to me. George Michael was making incredible music and both would continue to have a huge musical influence on my life's soundtrack. As the 90's started my job gave me the opportunity to travel extensively so my musical influences started to change again depending on which country I was in: Marta Sanchez, John Farnham, Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis and Polish and Swedish music that still to this day I have no idea what they were saying but the music still spoke to me. Then one day in the late 90's I was in New Orleans browsing the aisles of Tower Records and I see a Glen Campbell album. Memories started to flood back to me. And I started smiling. They had a CD of the same "Live" album from 30 yrs before so I handed over my cash and stuck it in my CD player. I was immediately transported back to my younger days and realised I still remembered all the words to his songs, such was his impact on me back then. My story is coming to an end so bear with me. A few months later, I am 36 at this time, I met this wonderful American woman and this confirmed batchelor popped the question after 3 days. A month later I had quit my job and turned up on her doorstep and we were married 60 days after we met, in Arkansas of all places. I had never known where Glen was born so to find out it was Arkansas sort of blew my mind a bit. Like I had come full circle from that 5 yr old boy listening on his cassette player back in Pompey. And it made me smile. 17 yrs later and still happily married in Arkansas this Pompey lad still listens to that album from time to time. I still know every word. We even got to see Glen live on his farewell tour which will always hold a special place in my memories. Sad but happy, if you know what I mean. When I heard he had died yesterday I just felt the need to share this story as it seems all my heroes have passed so I will sign off now, I have an album to listen to. Thanks Glen.