Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell's Museum in Nashville

Everything from Glen Campbell's history with Ovation, other guitar talk, and guitar picks!
Mike Joyce

Re: Glen Campbell's Museum in Nashville

Post by Mike Joyce »

Thanks for that jay, I must say I really admire the knowledge you bring to this forum in relation to Glen's guitar history and guitars in general. When I was a lot younger I assumed that the guitars Glen used were used for a few years and then disposed of in one way or another, but then of course as I managed to see Glen live over several years I realised that he did indeed have his favourites. So much so I could tell you the song Glen was about to perform based on the guitar he picked up. Southern nights was an obvious one of course. I have bought a couple of guitars over the last year or so, a Taylor 214ce delux 6 string and a Godin A6 6 string. but my Glen Campbell 6 string is still my most treasured, which I use virtually every day.
I hope you manage to get to the museum jay, and if you get some pics that would be fantastic. I only hope you don't find it upsetting to see these guitars on display, knowing they will never again be played by our hero.

jay

Post by jay »

No mention whatsoever, MIke. But there have been a couple of videos pop up where we have seen them with one of Glen's guitars. From what I have seen, they seem to prefer Martin and Taylors.

Interestingly...there seems to be a group of guitars Kim is willing to let be seen on the museum circuit. A couple of the guitars that he acquired when he got to California...The Teisco and the Martin...seem to be staying at home. Other than the first guitar his dad bought him...his oldest held guitar, the Epiphone has been presented publically since Glen passed.

I certainly am going to attempt to see the museum...hopefully, pictures will be allowed inside.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hi Jay,
Those are great pictures of the museum and Glen's guitars. I hope that these guitars are well looked after and are secure. Just a quick question, Has any mention been made of whether Glen left any of his guitars to his children, who I am sure would treasure them and could certainly play them well?

jay

An Early Display of Glen's Guitars at the Museum

Post by jay »

This is an early display with some of Glen's guitars that will be showcased in his museum. I have have been advised that they are no longer going to use this display, but will showcase Glen's guitars in other ways. I have attempted to identify the guitars with the help of Wayne Reid and Paul Moody. Many thanks to Hyde Kirby for allowing me to use this picture from his Friends of Glen Facebook page.

(The Alphabetic Letters were added by me for ID purposes))
(The Alphabetic Letters were added by me for ID purposes))
Glen's Guitars at Glen Campbell Museum.jpg (499.35 KiB) Viewed 20885 times

A; B; and F: Ovation Model EA63 Viper
Ovation offered the EA63 from 1995-2001. Although the date on the display is 2001, Glen began playing an Ovation Viper sometime around 2000. Glen was seen playing the natural (blonde) Viper early on, most notably in the PBS South Dakota Concert. At some point, he transitioned to his black viper and finished his career performing live with it…most notably during the Goodbye Tour. There are some pictures with Glen with the turquoise blue viper at home, but none of him performing with it, although it was the first EA63 Viper he used.

C: 1968 Ovation Glen Campbell Deluxe Balladeer Prototype #2

D: Ovation “Bluebird” 6 String
This Ovation guitar is not a Viper“…the only commonalities they share with the Viper model are body style, headstock shape, and bridge hardware.”

E: Hamer 12 String
Glen started using this guitar in 91 or 92.

G: Dillion Eddie Bush Model Acoustic
There is no record of Glen doing anything with this guitar other than having a picture taken with it. Eddie Bush used this model to play Wichita Lineman on a record. Glen signed one and was probably given one to take home.

H: Ovation Glen Campbell 12 String
It is unknown what the history of this guitar is with Glen. It appears to be a second-generation model.

I: Ovation 1987 Collectors
Glen began using the "87C" around 1988.

J: Fender Stratocaster
Strat Plus Deluxe that had some modifications, noticeably a double humbucker in the bridge position, a roller nut and a maple fretboard.

K: Unknown Adamas

L: Ovation Custom Legend
Seen a lot with Glen in the 90's and through the Goodbye Tour.

M: Ovation Bluebird 12 String
This Ovation guitar is not a Viper“…the only commonalities they share with the Viper model are body style, headstock shape, and bridge hardware.”

N: 1973 Ovation Legend

Cowpoke

Re: Glen Campbells Museum in Nashville

Post by Cowpoke »

Hi Jay,
thanks for posting those pictures of the Ovation display. Kind of special isn't it?

The Epiphone Zephyr...
Schermafbeelding 2019-10-26 om 22.33.08.png
Schermafbeelding 2019-10-26 om 22.33.08.png (375.09 KiB) Viewed 20902 times

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
jay

Ovation Provides Glen Campbell Museum with Numerous Guitars

Post by jay »

A couple of peeks at Ovations contribution to the Glen Campbell Museum

many new Ovation boxes.jpg
many new Ovation boxes.jpg (376.1 KiB) Viewed 20919 times
Glen Campbell Museum Ovation Display.jpg
Glen Campbell Museum Ovation Display.jpg (99.15 KiB) Viewed 20919 times

jay

Post by jay »

Nope...which one is it. It isn't in the promo picture of the showcase guitars that I have.
The case with all the stickers is probably the Hamer or G&L....

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Cool! Did you notice the label with Epiphone Zephyr on it?

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
jay

Glen's Guitars Being Delivered to his Museum

Post by jay »

It appears that a lot of Glen's guitars (as well as other memorabilia) from the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum arrived today.
CMHOF Glens Guitars.jpg
CMHOF Glens Guitars.jpg (618.66 KiB) Viewed 20943 times
CmHOF Glens Guitars (2).jpg
CmHOF Glens Guitars (2).jpg (665.41 KiB) Viewed 20943 times

jay

Glen Campbell's Museum in Nashville

Post by jay »

Hopefully, we can add to this thread as they continue to create and open Glen's Museum.