Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell Discography

Fan photos and memorabilia talk. What collectibles are you searching for?
Cowpoke

Re: Glen Campbell Discography

Post by Cowpoke »

Hi Rob our new Ghost on the Canvas discussion topic is here:

http://www.glencampbellforums.com/viewt ... f=10&t=445" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope to see you there! :D

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
robduloc

Post by robduloc »

Thank you Dee,

I am soi thankful for the Glen Campbell forum search engines and all the people who have entered here in my discography to talk to me, and yes, I have been going over all the replies to my posts and I really, really can't believe how many nice of responses that I have received, yes, thank you, thank you!

We did not have a Woolworth's on the east side during the sixties, yep, there was a big one in downtown Seattle as I recall, sorry if I am wrong I was only a kid, but the huge letters on the front strike an accord, i think that ther was one, maybe it was a past lifetime somewhere else, help me here, now.

I do remember that all the stores on the east side during the early sixties were closed on Sunday, but my parents drove us around teh empty lots because they built a McDonald's and Dad would treat us to a burger, let my Mom have the night off, we could order anything on the menu, a plain burger was ten cents.

Across the way was the equivalent of a Woolworth, a dime store that had a soda shop in the basement, being a small fry, I had a tendency to crawl under the tables, there was every color and vast array of gum dots stuck to the underlying wood, it almost looked like marble, doy~

But I wil tell you, Glen Campbell Astounding 12 String Guitar and Burning Bridges were stocked in all the stores across our little town, so where was the first Capitol LP?

I think it was the hair on the front cover of Burning Bridges that made all the local dealers order and stock copies, it really was the next big thing since the Everly Brothers, it was only inevitable those guys would graduate, the front cover of Burning Bridges was a glimpse what lay ahead, there was no looking back.

What an honor, to be influenced and in turn, set things on fire for a vibrant new decade.

You can bet, I used holidays and birthdays to buy my next Glen Campbell installment.

Thank you, Dee.

Right now, I am working on a list of Glen Campbell rare 45 Single "A" & "B" sides which I plan to post on amazon.com.

I want to put a fire under succeeding generations that depend on spotify there is more to hunt down and locate, there are over 30+ songs by Campbell that need to be digitally remastered and I am looking forward to there being no more rarities, a treasure house and wealth of talent to enjoy for all time.

Ii have spent a lot of time gushing over Glen Campbell Ghost On The Canvas but I really do want to spend more time exploring exactly what it means to me, my number one favorite album of all time.

A good place to start are all the musicians, they belong to a secret sect of artist that know what it's like to live on the road and recording studios, the world at large needs to spend more time thinking about what that is like, to carry hearth and home with you, wherever you go or may find yourself, a lot like veterans who celebrate christmas in the summer, always the homecoming and reunion with your true loved ones atb whatever cost.

Don't let the world get in the way, a family always ought to know, appreciate and respect they wiil always have each other, and rise to greatness whenever duty calls.

I am so excited to find to compile and post a list of Glen Campbell rarities on amazon.com and will let you know when I am done.

Here's hoping that you are enjoying a change in weather. shedding a few layers of clothes and delicious walks in the Spring afternoon.

Love,
Rob~

Dee

Post by Dee »

Hi, Rob!
You have been missed! I trust you and your family have been well!
That's quite a compliment and we sure do appreciate it. Thanks for the love!
I share your childhood feelings about collecting records especially the first 10 or so albums of Glen's when record collecting and following an artist were new to me.
For me, buying one of those early albums would start with either a mention by Glen Campbell on the Goodtime Hour about a new "upcoming" album or I would hear a new Glen song played by a DJ on the local AM radio station broadcast picked up by my transistor radio that I carried with me almost everywhere. Hearing the new song for the first time was like the 4th of July....fireworks would go off in my head. I would walk or bike to a nearby Woolworth's, a "five and dime" store to buy the 45. It surprises me now that despite Woolworth's relatively small size (one level, polished but worn wood floors, stocking everything from soap and shoes to paint and pop at the soda fountain counter), I would usually find the new 45 in stock! If it wasn't in stock, then not a week would go by when I would check for it again.
I played each new 45 over and over, sometimes writing down the lyrics, sometimes sounding out the melody on piano.
The anticipation for the upcoming album would build and build and build. Woolworth's did not always carry the newest album, or the store did not stock it right away, so I would look through the Baltimore Sun newspaper daily to watch for ads with new record releases at Korvettes, one of the first big box stores in the county where my family and I lived. As soon as I saw the newest GC album ad, I would begin campaigning my parents to bring me to Korvettes for the new album buy! In those days, my family didn't just jump in the Chevy to buy one thing. We were mindful of the cost of gas for the car, so trips to the big store (probably 3 miles from home, same as yours, Rob) occurred only when we had more than just a few items to pick up, thus making the drive "worthwhile".
Seeing the new album in the store for the first time, examining the cover art all sealed in shiny wrap, bringing the album home ("Dad, can you drive faster?"), playing it for the first time created an unforgettable experience for me. You can just imagine how carefully I read every line of print on the back of the record sleeve. Then, I would ever-so-carefully slit open the shrink wrap along the jacket's opening for the LP because I always kept the wrap intact on all my records. Many of these LPs still have the original wrap which I know isn't a good thing, it can warp a record over the years.
Should I mention how good it was to sniff the newly pressed vinyl? lol
Now here is something that maybe is a little strange, but "delayed gratification" has always been a thing with me. I would play Side A first and play it over and over. I almost didn't want to play Side B because I knew that when I did play it, then that would be it for "new" recorded Glen music until the next single or album! Weird, right? Maybe hours after playing Side A, I would play Side B, and then it was a joy to hear another set of songs, some that I had not heard Glen sing on the Goodtime Hour. New songs for me, new favorites. Life was good!
There were times when I could not afford new GC albums. My dear grandmother would then get these albums for me. She also could not afford to buy these albums, but she had a very good friend who owned a record store in Baltimore City, and the friend would give her complementary albums, maybe a few at a time. One of the albums gifted to me from my grandmother and her friend was Glen's "Oh Happy Day" album. I don't know why obtaining this particular album still stands out for me; maybe I had had a long wait for it? Maybe Korvettes had not stocked this gospel album? Can’t remember why. Another album given to me by my grandmother was "True Grit", which is a beautiful coincidence because she had more true grit than anyone I have ever known.
Hey, Rob, thank you for hanging in here to read my long post and for motivating me to sit down for a few minutes to think about my early record buying experiences. Those were the days, my friend! :)
Dee

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

I have been reading all your replies to my post and other people's posts and I can't believe how nice everyone is here, you are so incredible, thank you so very much, that is, thank you for you being you, yes, all the warm responses and replies will keep me going for years to come.

And Mike, I will never forget what it was like for all my friends in their late teens to move over the bridge to Seattle and find their first rental rooms and homes away from Ma and Pa.

The Smiths were the unsung and unspoken hero of the late 70's, beyond judgement, to pull up all ties, buy vintage clothes, and go punk.

That's why I get so excited when Shannon steps up to the mic, he knows what it's like to push the envelope, very cool~

And the documentary that I mentioned featuring Graham Nash outlining the details when Elvis met Nixon appears to be a major motion picture, I read about it last week in our local newspaper, check your listings.

Far as I can recollect, Glen Campbell was pulling into a parking lot to tape a Donny and Marie James Bond parody, when he heard over the car radio Elvis had passed, many years later when Donny and Marie had a talk show, Campbell confessed that he had to stop and cry for a minute while sitting in his car.

I only buy and listen to recordings from artist that openly cite their influences, we should all share our roots.

One thing is for sure, I will never forget Mike sharing the story what it was like as a kid growing up in the sixties and take a long bus ride to buy the latest Glen Campbell album and the joy to stockpile all of his albums in one place.

Am I right?

As a child, my parents only had to drive 3 miles down the road in front of our house to buy the latest Glen Campbell album, but it might as well been a million.

When I look at my record slicks for Glen Campbell Gentle On My Mind and By The Time I Get To Phoenix, there is no doubt he is pulling up all the stops.

Thank you, for the deep roots, inspiration and influences.

Thank you, Glen Campbell Forum!

Love,
Rob

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Hi Rob,
it's good to hear you are getting better. You haven given a lot to his forum as well. I'm very glad to have you as a fellow member!
Cowpoke

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

It's good to hear you are on the road to recovery Rob. When you are suffering with illness it really make you appreciate the good times and when you do recover it is like you have a new lease of life to take on the world again.
Enjoy all the blessings you have Rob.

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

Well, it's been over a year since I discovered this magical enchanted place and the forum that keeps on giving.

My doctors were afraid that I might die from a swollen appendix, it explains all the misspellings and why I had trouble editing my posts, I am a lot better, it is still hard to write down and record everything when all I see are stars*

I just want to say, I drew my strength from you.

Thank you, for all that you do.

Best wishes for a quiet calming Veteran's Day and Happy Thanksgiving.

I am thankful for the friends and alliances forged here. Your insights, post and pictures command my respect and awe.

Rob~

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

During the early 70's wide lapels and fat neck ties came back into style, the style didn't come just out of nowhere, it was a nod to the Hoover and his G-Men.

You can bet Nixon was tied to that.

That's why Campbell's outfits were the greatest thing to come along for young people like me, it was very fitting to wear a ribbon wrapped around the neck with a metal braid or ring.

Stylish with a twist.

I think there is a thread here where I explain my Uncle was a professional hair stylist and knew how to cut and layer hair like Glen Campbell.

It was a process, I had instructions that I needed to grow the sides around my ears, so the hair could be tapered like sideburns, I loved that part, I was too young to shave but had sideburns just the same, required combing and some hair spray to drape along my cheekbone.

I think now days that would be called hair sculpture.

In 1969 it was my ticket to hero worship. I had my hair cut and layered like that well into 7th Grade, what a service or credit, Campbell won the war on greasy long hairs!

My Father-in-Law flew B-25's in the Pacific all through W.W. II, flew all through the Korean War and was one of the oldest men to fly cargo in Caribou over Vietnam.

And fresh out of College my Father served as an Architect/Engineer developing military bases in Germany right after W.W.II my sister was born in Bremerhaven,

After he served his time, they moved to Denver where I was born and moved to the Pacific Northwest, even though I was only around four or five by 1964 I started eyeing all the Glen Campbell albums, starting with "The Amazing 12 String Guitar" and later "Burning Bridges".

Everyone up here loved Glen Campbell, we enjoyed his youthful vitality and approach to music.

These days, it's just my wife and me and our kids, it is a real kick when one of Campbell's songs broadcasts over the car radio, I have the pictures to prove he was my icon!

I think that Campbell has done a lot to maintain a conservative credibility and relax our standards, in order to shake off some of the dirt from our humble roots, see the world in a new light, a fresh chapter of our history when everyone looks and feels beautiful and have the music to accompany this new heartfelt romance with enchanting people, and places everywhere.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Yeah you are probably right about that.
robuloc, do you know how to tell if a man is Republican or Democrat.
Ans: Check how long his hair is. If he needs a hair cut, he isn't a republican. LOL

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

I'm sure that a lot of The Wrecking Crew and Hollywood Capitol Records staff were devout Republicans.

"You really know how to turn on, man"!