Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Inflated Prices & Bootlegs

Fan photos and memorabilia talk. What collectibles are you searching for?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Inflated Prices & Bootlegs

Post by admin »

When I was last looking online at "True Grit" movie posters, I noticed some posters for sale on the secondary market were copies of authentic/certified posters that had been sold at auctions.

The sellers for the most part appear to be disclosing their listed posters as reproductions but the disclosures are sometimes stated at the bottom of listings or in a paragraph or more of text. At least the sellers are disclosing this information although it is doubtful they have the rights to reproduce the poster artwork and sell it.

I had unthinkingly bought a reproduction of a "True Grit" poster a few years ago because I could never afford to buy an authentic 1969 poster in decent condition. The reproduction is nicely printed on heavyweight, unmarked, unfolded bond paper. Not bad for $12, I had decided. :)

However, it wasn't until recently that I really looked at this poster--and saw one sign of a reproduction taken from an actual (I assume) poster: fold marks. This is a low-res scan of most of my poster, the green arrows inserted to show the folds that were apparently in the original poster:
DZ's purchased repro of True Grit poster sold as a reproduction.jpg
DZ's purchased repro of True Grit poster sold as a reproduction.jpg (262.54 KiB) Viewed 22298 times

Dee

arlw

Post by arlw »

In addition to the names posted--there are 2 more that you need to stay away from-in my opinion-----LIMING RECORDS--this is presented as a TAIWAN Import. The other is LYOU FENG Records--imported from Japan--trust me-I have these and they are the pits!!! If you want the real import, it's well worth the price. This is not to harm the EBay dealers in any way, but to alert the Glen Campbell Collectors!!

arlw

Post by arlw »

Just FYI for all---I have received a few emails from some fans Globally asking about why the records they bought sound so awful!! Emailing a dealer on EBay is a waste of time as they are all pushing material that is not a REAL so called release and the recordings ARE TERRIBLE. Anything on FIRST RECORD, HUA SUN, or anything that mentions ASIAN RELEASE and RARE!!! Please don't buy it--they are ALL BOOTLEG MATERIAL. I have just about ALL of them but got them at record shows/conventions here in the Dallas area many years ago for FREE, or no more than $1.00.....One, they are taking advantage of Glen's passing, but more important, these LP's are worth basically nothing. If in doubt, write in here and either I, Dee, Jay, Cowpoke or somebody else can answer your question BEFORE you buy it!!! Merry Christmas to the entire Forum people..... :D

Dee

Post by Dee »

Good point, KMFrye54.

I was wrong about the public radio program. It appears to be this one from FM Odyssey (interviewer runs a show for WFIT, public radio in Melbourne, Florida). His shows are syndicated to other public radio stations in the U.S. and other countries.

This particular 2011 interview with Glen was released for the first time in 2017 and is streaming for FREE:

http://www.fmodyssey.com/archives/glen- ... fm-odyssey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just like the bootleg listing, the interview begins with "Remembering" and ends with "I'm Not Gonna Miss You".
Songs match up. (I skipped through the audio tonight again.) It is a great show.

Tonight I noticed that the Canadian seller has also listed a BBC Radio Program (and even references it as such in his/her listing!)

GLEN CAMPBELL ***** 1 HOUR CONCERT PERFORMANCE & MUSIC RADIO SHOW 2011

It could be this program that is not currently streaming but had been available to stream and may be again available in the future: (BBC recycles.)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01724nv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KMFrye54

Post by KMFrye54 »

Selling copies of a BBC show may also bring on allegations of copyright problems for the seller, wouldn't you think?

Dee

Re: Inflated Prices + Bootlegs

Post by Dee »

Now that Glen Campbell has passed away, I am seeing not only inflated prices of collectibles (imo) but also bootlegs.

This is one example of an item now listed on the secondary market, a recording on CD of a radio program:

"GLEN CAMPBELL TRIBUTE * 1 HOUR INTERVIEW, INFO & MUSIC RADIO SHOW 2017"
The seller includes a photo of the "set list". The listing price is around $27.00 USD excluding shipping.

Based on the set list, this program appears to be a copy of BBC Radio's recent tribute to Glen Campbell.
This tribute aired right after Glen's death and has been available on BBC Radio to stream for 30 days for FREE.

One of our members, Mike Joyce, had posted about this program as well as other (free) BBC public radio programs about and with Glen (from interviews in 2011 and 2005) here:

http://www.glencampbellforums.com/viewt ... t=50#p7334" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Re: Inflated Prices

Post by Dee »

Here's a really nice poster from 1973 listed on the secondary market for $100 by a seller in Denmark. Do you think this price is fair?

(My personal opinion: depending on its condition, it could be a fair price for a rare poster! Did Glen perform in Germany in 1973?)
Glen Campbell in Concert Poster_Frankfurt_gcf.jpg
Glen Campbell in Concert Poster_Frankfurt_gcf.jpg (84.96 KiB) Viewed 24035 times

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Cowpoke is right. I have a VHS copy of the London Concert which is from 1977. The video runs for 60 minutes and not the 90 minutes of the original broadcast. Of course the BBC showed the concert last year so I recorded it to a DVD. I think most fans will have these items already so I doubt they will be able to sell these items as you say, at such high prices. That is just greedy I think, and is trying to take advantage of the current exposure Glen is receiving at present.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

I have seen these many times. I wouldn't call them rare. Also, I think this is an abridged release, not containing the complete concert.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Post by Dee »

What do our U.K. fans think about this example? Is the selling price inflated?

In 2012, a "Glen Campbell Live in London" concert recording on VHS sold for $13.25 (not new).

Currently, two of these concert VHS recordings are listed in the secondary market on a well-known site:

One for $34.00 (not new, listed in "good" condition), another for $119.99 (listed as sealed in its original plastic wrap, in new condition).
Both are listed as rare; are they?
Glen Campbell Live in London_1977_VHS-gcf.jpg
Glen Campbell Live in London_1977_VHS-gcf.jpg (42.33 KiB) Viewed 24067 times