Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

The Astounding 12-string guitar...

Fan photos and memorabilia talk. What collectibles are you searching for?
Dee

Re: The Astounding 12-string guitar...

Post by Dee »

Well done, KMFrye54!
And kudos to "Fascinating Rhythm"!

I hope some day soon you will be posting about finding your Holy Grail -- "one of the four or five remaining Bluebirds".

Thanks so much for sharing your successful search with us!

Dee

KMFrye54

Post by KMFrye54 »

Well, my search for this album is done. I found one! An original issue with all twelve tracks, just the same as the two I had once upon a time.

I have to give a plug to a used record shop - "Fascinating Rhythm", in Nanaimo BC, about 100km from where I live. They located one for me, brought it in, let me walk out with it for under $8.00, and it's in pretty decent condition.

Later tonight, I'll put it on my digitizing turntable and create the MP3's and WAV's my current systems need, Then the record goes back into the collection.

Cheers!

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Yes, that's right Dee. 10 of the 12 tracks have been released as a digital download. Wimoweh was released on CD one or twice so we do have a digital copy of that one. The Ballad of Jed Clampett, as far as I know, have never been released digitally.... grrr!

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Post by Dee »

Welcome back and thanks for your posts including this one, KMFrye54.
What a great album to get hooked on, this March 1964 12-string classic album of Glen Campbell's.
To my knowledge, a CD has never been released. Ten of the twelve original tracks are available in mp3 format (the digital version is missing "The Ballad of Jed Clampett" and "Wimoweh").

The vinyl album can be found in the original mono (T 2023) and original stereo (ST 2023)--both with 12 tracks--on the secondary market (for example, ebay).

In the late 1970s, it was reissued as a budget album without "The Ballad of Jed Clampett" and "Wimoweh", so stay away from this one, which likely may have been used to create the incomplete mp3 album! :)

Glen Campbell's "The Essential Glen Campbell Volume One" compilation album from 1994 contains "Twelve Blues", a previously unreleased track from one of the original Capitol sessions for "The Astounding 12 String Guitar" album. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Essen ... Volume_One" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many thanks to Son of Flintstone, a long-time Glen Campbell fan and discographer, who had posted much of the above information on amazon dot com in 2012. Cowpoke, arlw, and Robduloc have also helped us to put together this album's patchwork history.

I wonder if you originally had the mono record, KMFrye54?

Dee

KMFrye54

The Astounding 12-string guitar...

Post by KMFrye54 »

"THE ASTOUNDING 12-STRING GUITAR OF GLEN CAMPBELL" got me hooked on 12-strings when I was all of 13, and within a year, I had my first. Since then, more than a dozen have passed through my hands, and while my personal Holy Grail guitar would be one of the four or five remaining Bluebirds (not likely to happen), I currently have a pair of Takamines from my own touring daze (25 yrs with Celtic folk bands) and a crazy beautiful Rickenbacker 370/12 that I gifted myself with as a "retirement" present a few years back.

But it all began in 1967 with a copy of "The Astounding 12-string". I wore out two copies, and lost a third when I loaned it to a band-mate in the early 80s, after which the band broke up and I have not seem him nor my album(s) since.

So I am feeling reminiscent, and have decided to start looking for another copy- CD if it's out there somewhere, tho' I can turn vinyl into digital as needed..

Does anyone know if it's ever been released on CD?