Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Dylan, Cash, and the Nashville Cats: A New Music City

Off-topic discussions (for registered members only)
Mike Joyce

Re: Dylan, Cash, and the Nashville Cats: A New Music City

Post by Mike Joyce »

I find it interesting that this article and programmes I have watched on BBC4 "Greenwich Village" etc seem to focus on the music as being a tool for political movements. I understand the point but it just feels sometimes as if the music is judged to be more worthwhile if it promotes a political agenda. If not, it is considered conservative and of less significance in the minds of certain critics.
I for one have always enjoyed music because it moves me, whether it has a political message or talks about how wonderful a sunny day is, is not the priority for me. As Glen,has said" there are only two types of music good and bad"
Tom Paxton, as I remember, said "A lot of protest music that was written at the time was rubbish and I wrote a lot of it too"
So my point is, I think its a bit unfair to label music as been more noteworthy if it fell into the folk category or mainstream and unworthy if it was considered to be too slick and country.
I appreciate in this article that the likes of Dylan etc saw beyond the stereotypical views of the majority and embraced the talent that was available to him in Nashville. Thank goodness for open minded artists.
I wonder how people would feel if politicians used their office to promote their music careers.

Dee

Dylan, Cash, and the Nashville Cats: A New Music City

Post by Dee »

wow...here is a blockbuster exhibition you might want to see in Nashville:

"Bob Dylan. Neil Young. Leonard Cohen. The Byrds. Paul McCartney. Ringo Starr. Joan Baez. The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. J.J. Cale. Linda Ronstadt. Leon Russell. Gordon Lightfoot. Steve Miller. Ian & Sylvia. The Monkees. Simon & Garfunkel. All were among the many rock and folk artists who came to Nashville in the late 1960s and early ’70s to work with the city’s versatile, hotshot session musicians, the 'Nashville Cats.' The Country Music Hall of Fame® and Museum's upcoming major exhibition, Dylan, Cash, and the Nashville Cats: A New Music City, will explore this magical time, opening Friday, March 27, 2015, for a nearly two-year run."

For more info, check out the Hall of Fame's website at:

http://countrymusichalloffame.org/newsa ... EGfVhavfYg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;