Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Re: Say Hello to Other Members!

Hear Glen Campbell welcome you! Introduce yourself to other fans or share a memory!
MaryInTheMorning

Post by MaryInTheMorning »

Hi, my name is Mary, and, no surprise, one of my favorite Glen Campbell songs is Mary in the Morning. :)
Elvis recorded this song, too, but Glen sings it best!
I have been reading your forums for a long time now and am learning a lot. This is the first forums I have ever joined, so I am a little nervous yet about posting. But here I have finally done it!
I saw that you will be posting fan newsletters and would be interested in reading them. I used to belong to Glen Campbell's fan club, but I no longer have these newsletters.
Thank you for reading my first post!
Mary

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Hi Linma2,
thanks so much for your post. It was moved to this section so everybody can welcome you on board. I think there is more than the love for Glen's music alone that binds us on this forum. Most of us have experienced Alzheimer's disease in our families and the fight against that terrible disease has become part of Glen's legacy now too. And a terrible disease it is. Thanks for sharing your thoughts here. Looking forward to talking you on this forum.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Linma2

Say Hello to Other Members!

Post by Linma2 »

I saw Glen Campbell a few years ago. He performed on stage singing all his great songs, of course he was in the best of health at that time. I sure love that man, such a great sense of humor and what a voice!! I will sure miss him when that day comes. I have listened to Glen for many years, I don't even know when it was the first time I heard him sing, probably the radio, then his TV show. Alzheimer's is one of the most horrible disease's, it took my Uncle many years ago! I pray they will find a cure for this disease soon, very soon. Nothing worse than not being able to know your wife/husband, children, friends, etc. I remember seeing glen on TV when he was first diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Glen stated, he felt so good and couldn't understand feeling so good and being told by his Doctor what was going to happen in his life! I HATE this disease more than any other, I hate the thought of what his family must feel when they visit him and see him in that condition, just awful!
I know we are all going to die one day, I am just so sick of feeling sad......God Bless You all!!!

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Hi Joe,
welcome on the Glen Campbell Forums. Thank you for introducing yourself. How sad that your father is suffering from Alzheimer's. But, I'm glad to hear you can still talk to him about the work he did in the labs. Sound very interesting, but pretty dangerous too!

Looking forward to your next post. Do you remember when and where you first heard Glen's music?

tennesseestargazer

Post by tennesseestargazer »

Hello All! My name is Joe Campbell. No relation to glen as far as I know. My father has Alzheimer's. He is almost 88 years old. Physically he is ok, a mild diabetic. Mentally, you know the disease is there. For 42+ years he work at the national labs in Oak Ridge, Tennessee. Some the work he did was amazing. Items he made were on most of the Apollo space missions, even on the Voyager space crafts. Now, He will ask me a dozen times in a half hour where I worked today. Ask him how he refined a radioisotope and he can tell you every step how. We are lucky to still have him around. Everyone else in his group at the labs is dead from cancer. How he avoided it with all the radioactive materials he worked with surprises all. I've been in the labs where he worked. Turn off the lights and watch stuff glow! Lets hope for a cure to save others from the pain.

I was a teenager in the late 60s and early 70s and loved Glen's music. Never cared for hard rock. Had several 8 tracks of Glen's. The type of music I like and play is really retro. I make and play native American style flutes.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Welcome, Mike, we are so glad you are here! There was something magical about Glen's early days as you wrote. I don't think it's weird that Glen from this time period has stayed with you your whole life. I believe many of us can say the same thing.
Did you have time yet to watch the rare Goodtime Hour episode that Cowpoke posted the link for earlier today under All Things Glen/Glen On YouTube and Other Videos?
If not, here is the link to that page on the forums here: http://www.glencampbellforums.com/viewt ... ?f=10&t=29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is amazing to me to see how poised and comfortable Glen was on this Goodtime Hour show from March of 1969, not long after his show had debuted. His concert spot with John Hartford and Joe South is...magic!
Dee

Mark Barrett

thanks Mike

Post by Mark Barrett »

Yeah Mike I'll bet a lot of us have the same things in common. there was just something really special about those early days of Glen.. There was something magical about the guy. The look the voice, the incredible guitar licks and the great way he interpreted those Jimmy Webb songs.. It was like, boy that's rare stuff going on there. It has stayed with me my whole life.....weird huh.

Mark Barrett

Post by Mark Barrett »

Hey Cowboy thanks for the welcome...We do a lot of Christian music, but play lots of country, pop stuff......Time in a bottle....that sort of thing. What a great site, lots of people with the same thing in common

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hi Mark,
You sound just like me. I got into Glen after buying an album called By the time I get to Phoenix. It was a budget album and I only bought it as I thought the cover looked interesting. That was my goose bump moment in 1977 and I have been a fan since. Like you Mark I learned to play guitar and I now have two Ovations, one which is a Glen Campbell signature 6 string acoustic 1127-4 slim bowl. I just love it.
Anyway, welcome to this great forum and hope to talk again soon.
Mike

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Hi Mark,
thanks for joining this forum. Yep, you're surrounded here by people who think about Glen and his music daily. Would love to hear more about your music and how Glen has influenced you. I am not a musician myself (although I play a mean ukelele ;)) but we have a couple of Ovation players on here who will no doubt love to "talk guitar" with you. And maybe, if we're lucky, you'll one day post your version of Phoenix in the "Sing!" topic under the Big Bad Rock Guitar forum.. :) Welcome to the forum and hope to see you posting soon again!