Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

New Guy From North Carolina!!

Hear Glen Campbell welcome you! Introduce yourself to other fans or share a memory!
Dee

Re: New Guy From North Carolina!!

Post by Dee »

Hi, Tony!

Thank you so much for introducing yourself. I love your energy which comes across in your post! We appreciate you!
You are amazing! Despite your health challenges, you have achieved tremendous accomplishments as a musician and singer. We would love to hear your music!

As both an Elvis and Glen fan, you will likely appreciate reading about / hearing Elvis's many references to Glen Campbell on stage and on recordings! You can find this info on two webpages at http://www.elvisconcerts.com/real/campbell01.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. These webpages have "PLAY" links to click on to hear the audios. Some audios did not work for me, but the writer of this topic has also written out Elvis's references to Glen.

Did Elvis perform or cover any of Glen's songs?

Tony, if you haven't seen this video, you may enjoy it. It's one with both Glen and Elvis singing "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry". Of course, it is two different performances, one by Glen, one by Elvis, edited together in one video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-snWURVMEfg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; If only....

Looking forward to your next post!

Dee :)

admin
Site Admin

Re: New Guy From North Carolina!!

Post by admin »

Hi Tony,
a warm welcome to you! We're very glad you joined the forum and even better, that you posted your first post! Rhinestone Cowboy is the first song I ever heard by Glen, when I was 3 years old. Funny you should say that, just today I thought the same thing: Rhinestone Cowboy has actually all the ingredients of a great Elvis song! I wonder what he thought about it. You probably already know that Glen proposed that Elvis recorded "It's Only Make Believe", but Elvis left it to Glen to do it himself. Even during the Goodbye Tour Glen did his impersonation of Elvis when he sang that song live!

How wonderful that you have become a musician and singer. If you want to share recordings of your music, you're more than welcome to do so.

Tony, again welcome to the forums and I hope to read more of your posts soon!

Tony Trout

New Guy From North Carolina!!

Post by Tony Trout »

Howdy, all!!

I'm new to the forum, although, I joined a little while back. I have been a Glen Campbell fan for a long time - startin' with "Rhinestone Cowboy" - I loved it as soon as I first heard if and I could actually imagine Elvis singing that song. LOL!! I'm also a big Elvis Presley fan. I know that Elvis impersonated Glen while onstage a few times in August, 1970. It would have been cool to hear what Elvis's versions of Glen's songs would have sounded like.

I have not got the opportunity to watch "I'll Be Me" just yet - and I'm not really sure that I want to. I think that I'd rather remember Glen when he was well and up onstage tearing the audience apart with his musicianship. It amazed me how great of a musician he was and it still does. Along with Elvis and Wayne Newton, Glen is one person I would have loved to have seen in concert.

I'm 39 - disabled with Cerebral Palsy & Hydrocephalus. I have a shunt in my head due to the Hydrocephalus and I am legally blind in my left eye because of the latter. However, I, myself, am also a musician and I can play numerous instruments:

Guitar: acoustic/electric/lead/b-bender/slide/bass
Piano/Keyboards
Drums

I'm also a singer, as well. When I was born, the doctors told my parents that I wasn't supposed to live and that, if I did, I wouldn't live past my tenth birthday and I wouldn't know anybody or anything. However, God had another plan in store and I'm SO thankful to Him that He did!! Other than now being a T2 diabetic, I'm doing well. The winter can be rough on me, though, due to the Cerebral Palsy and it can (and does) make my bones and muscles ache. :(

I just wanted to finally introduce myself! I'm glad to be here and I appreciate you all having me here!!

Take Care/God Bless,
Tony T.