Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Golf Story

Rock, Roll & Remember! Post your Glen Campbell photos and stories here!
Mike Joyce

Re: Golf Story

Post by Mike Joyce »

Great story doorite,
It reminded me of the time Glen appeared on a BBC programme called Pro-Celebrity golf. Each celebrity played with a professional and each hole scored the team a point if they won it. I remember Glen took a long put and as it rolled to the hole glen jumped up and down with joy as it fell in. A wonderful moment. I wonder if he had a copy of that shot to relive the moment.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Thank you again for sharing your golf story. Since you have no more Glen stories to tell, then we are very glad that you chose to share this special one with us on Glen Campbell Forums!
It is a great story and memory of Glen and how generous and kind he has been to fans.
I am sorry that the tribute concert didn't come to realization. How perfect that concert would have been--after Glen's release of "Meet Glen Campbell". He probably would have performed some of the songs from this album.
We hope to see you posting again. I am curious to know what you, as a concert promoter, think of "Quits", Glen's previously unreleased song recorded early in 1975 and now being released on March 31st.
This is the link to the page on the forums where you can listen to this rare GC song, if you would like to hear it: http://www.glencampbellforums.com/viewt ... f=10&t=193" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All the best,
Dee

Debbie Richardson

Post by Debbie Richardson »

No I never had the chance to see him live. I have been a concert promoter in the SE for 35 years and was attempting a tribute concert in 2010-11 with a local group but we could never agree on a date or fee w/ WME.
That was the only time I meet Glen so I have no more Glen stories to share. Thanks for your kind words (except the RTR part!!) and maybe we'll meet someday. Wishing everyone the best. Regards,Royce

shelia6673

Post by shelia6673 »

Hey Royce,

Couldn't pass up a chance to say ROLL TIDE to fellow Alabamaian. Had to do that with that "other" school mentioned :D Anyway as Dee said
welcome to the forum and I just loved your golf story. I'm sure it was a thrill to meet Glen that way. I always hoped when I was in Branson I would
run into him at Wal Mart but never did. As Debby said in her book they always went after the shows and by that time I was ready for bed. Have you
been to any of Glen's concerts. He was in B'ham in 1973 and here in Hsv in 1977 at the civic center got to see him both places.

Keep sending the memories, love to read them

Shelia T

Dee

Post by Dee »

Hi, Royce,
Welcome to the Glen Campbell Forums, and thank you so much for sharing your personal story about how you met Glen Campbell on the LACC golf range in 1978.
No wonder you almost passed out! It's tremendous that you not only got to meet Glen, but you were also invited as a friend to share his passion for golf including his collection of vintage clubs. (I never knew Glen Campbell had such a collection.) He must have recognized your love of golf, too, so it's very likely that you made his day!
Your post is a wonderful tribute to Glen Campbell. Your thoughtfulness is very much appreciated.
All the best to you,
Dee

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Hi doorite,
what a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us!

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
doorite

Golf Story

Post by doorite »

I have a golf story. In 1978 I was a young college golfer from Alabama (I went to Auburn!) and my team was so good I never got to play. I moved to LA to play for LA Pierce College and while there caddied on weekends to make spending money. One of my bags was at Belair CC with Mr Roth. After most of his rounds he would ask me for a lesson. And he liked to watch me hit balls. Belair had a reciprocal agreement to use LA Country Club's driving range, as Belair did not have one. One Saturday morning in '78 we went to the LACC range. At the very end of the driving range was a slightly built man w/ long hair and a fuzzy beard! After working on Mr Roth's swing for awhile, he asked me to hit a few. A few minutes into hitting balls Mr Roth and the man at the end of the range began talking. The bearded man wanted to know who Mr Roth's stud golfer was!!! (I was already embarrassed and still not sure who the bearded man was). Mr Roth insisted I go with him and meet the man at the end of the range. Even at 21 I knew and loved all of Glen's music. As we got closer to the mystery man I noticed he had an AMC Pacer hatchback with the hatch open. Then we shook hands and Mr Roth introduced us. It was Glen Campbell!! I almost passed out!! Glen proceeded to make a 21 year old aspiring golfer's year, decade, etc! He began pulling vintage clubs from out of this never-ending pit of clubs! "Here try this one, Johnny Miller used it in my tourney but gave it back. Here hit it" And he kept pulling clubs and telling me stories about each one as I hit a few with them! What an incredible person and experience. Even 37 years later it feels like yesterday. Glen was so much fun and gave this young kid a thrill of a lifetime. I ended up in the music biz and was looking to see Glen and tell him about the wonderful thing he did. I was a long way from home and he made me feel in another world!
Thanks Glen for the chance to put all those clubs from all of my idols, including you, into my young hands. I'll always treasure you and the moment. Wishing you and the family the best moving forward. Royce Richardson Montgomery, Al