Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell and Mickey Newbury

Rock, Roll & Remember! Post your Glen Campbell photos and stories here!
Dee

Re: Glen Campbell and Mickey Newbury

Post by Dee »

P.S. Rob--
Just wanted to make sure you found Mike's channel on YouTube?
This is a direct link to Mike's eleven music videos (as of today), covers and originals: https://www.youtube.com/user/62musicmike/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Post by Dee »

It took me long enough, Rob!
I believe I found the Kris Kristofferson radio interview.
http://americanroutes.wwno.org/archives/search/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At the top of this web page, type in Kristofferson's full name in the search box.
Click on "Search".
A listing of the Kristofferson interview(s) with broadcast dates is displayed with links to the audio programs!
Looking forward to this 2-hour interview!

Glad you found 62musicmike's awesome ♪ ♪ ♪ channel on YouTube!

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

I believe the NWPR.org interview may be a show by Dan Maher on Saturdays between 11:00-2:00, at the end the announcer said it was available to call up although the website is a little snooty, tonight I did manage to find the YouTube clip for "I'm Losing You" and subscribed to 62musicmike!

I'm off to light a candle~

Dee

Post by Dee »

Thanks, Rob.
Can find and post the link to this radio program?

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

Last weekend there was a lovely radio program devoted to Kris Kristofferson which I believe you can find on NWPR.org, approaching 2 hours in length, one of the highlights is when Kristofferson cites Mickey Newbury as one of the two or three premiere songwriters in Nashville, a special moment in time when it didn't matter who you are, if you had a good song, everyone was a fan and enjoyed listening to your recording. Now that is what I call a mutual admiration society. How wonderful is that!

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

That will be be a difficult one Cowpoke. I would say Glen's hair is similar to the Bloodline album though.Does anyone know anymore about this one.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Wichita Lineman is a good example. When I hear different versions the one think they do is try to over dramatise the words. Where Glen sang the lines in a slightly more understated way which allowed the meaning and its impact to hit home more deeply in the heart of the listener.
Glen is to a song what a great actor is to a play. It is a very fine line to walk but I believe Glen understood this and delivered every time. I think this is why he can do the Webb songs with ease just as much as the simpler tunes.
Couldn't have said it any better myself Mike. Great description of Glen's abilities as a singer.

About the date of that picture of Glen and Mickey Newbury... that requires some serious Glen Campbell beard-ology research! Glen's beard changed subtly during the time he had it. In fact, there are two periods. First the Bloodline beard period, which lasted not very long. I would say this is NOT the Bloodline beard. Then the second period during which Glen also sported a moustache for a short period. Of course this requires a decent study but on the first look I would say this picture was taken around 1981.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

I know its a slightly different point but this is something which I think glen excelled at. Wichita Lineman is a good example. When I hear different versions the one think they do is try to over dramatise the words. Where Glen sang the lines in a slightly more understated way which allowed the meaning and its impact to hit home more deeply in the heart of the listener.
Glen is to a song what a great actor is to a play. It is a very fine line to walk but I believe Glen understood this and delivered every time. I think this is why he can do the Webb songs with ease just as much as the simpler tunes.
I could give a thousand examples but I am sure everyone knows what I mean.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Thank you, Mike.
Don't get me wrong here...I am a huge Elvis fan.
Elvis's cover of An American Trilogy has a little too much "drama" in it for me. In fact, I can still see him singing it in my mind's eye.
He physically delivered this song, if this makes any sense. It was all about his stance, his dramatic arm and hand movements, the microphone, the silk scarf, the sweaty brow. Very theatrical.
This drama, I believe, takes away from "the essence of the words" and the "emotion that lay under the surface of the songs" as you beautifully described Glen Campbell's cover.
No one interpreted this song better imo than GC.
And what a brilliant song. Do you think this is the song that Mickey Newbury is most remembered for?
Dee

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

What a wonderful story Dee,
Mickey sure was a great talent. I must say I have always loved Glen's rendition of this song. I felt he really touched the essence of the words and I could feel the emotion that lay under the surface of the songs.
May Mickey rest in peace.