Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Your Concert Experiences

Rock, Roll & Remember! Post your Glen Campbell photos and stories here!
robduloc

Re: Your Concert Experiences

Post by robduloc »

I was a teenager from the 70's and the whole point of s Zippo lighter was that you could light a cigarette in the face of a blowing wind,

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

Thank you Dee.... sigh*

Dee

Post by Dee »

Hi, Rob,
I really enjoyed reading your stories about John Wayne!

I thought you and other members/readers here might enjoy another example of John Wayne's humor as related to Glen Campbell.

John Wayne gifted a silver Zippo lighter to Glen Campbell during the filming of "True Grit." The picture below shows the inscription that John Wayne had inscribed on this lighter for Glen:

[Click image once in order to enlarge the viewing window.]
From John Wayne to Glen Campbell_GCF.jpg
From John Wayne to Glen Campbell_GCF.jpg (70.5 KiB) Viewed 17275 times
This lighter was on display at Glen's Rhinestone Cowboy exhibition of his memorabilia and other things at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum last year!

LOL!

Dee

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

I'm getting goosebumps, thank you Dee, Cowpoke and siblis, I do believe the main theme of the farewell tour is he is still in full form for the fans absolutely on fire lighting up the stage, Dee has talked about the freedom in which music serves as a medium, and when I watch and listen to Glen Campbell running up and down the fretboard and hitting notes I have compared it to a fireman putting out a series of fires!

And yes, all the video links submitted here are an invaluable tool, it was only the other month that I realized wi-fi and YouTube has not only changed the way I watch TV, it has altered the way I budget for music and movies, I have to think twice if I want another CD or DVD when they are so readily available for free to view or listen to in a a variety of places, the funny thing is I heard some of the best concert clips posted on the internet are made by members of the audience that have a camera hidden in their hat.... doy!

And I am grateful that I have found and come to the best place to learn if anyone else heard the dish washing story because it really went down and resonated with me while I think everyone else were groaning or moaning including our host.

You have take into account the way he described it, John Wayne pretty much caught him by surprise and yelled really loud and by the sound of things mimicked an overgrown kid or geek even, as Glen Campbell is in touch with growing up so fast and tall for his age, "DAD, I WANNA DO THAT"!

Some serious horseplay on the set, yes.... hmmm...

I heard another account where John Wayne liked to sneak up to somebody on the set, I believe it was on an MSN post for Lee Merriwether, the press were taking pictures outdoors in her period costume and he came up in his outfit and slid his arms around her, she said that he didn't have to do that, the overall tone being the group mind is real strong on one of his sets and no doubt the pose became an instant iconic image, success and promotion for the film and cute couple.

I am very fortunate and lucky during the Farewell Tour I got to hear Glen Campbell and John Wayne geek out and will return to your clips and threads time and again, thank you everybody for the exchange.

I have pre-ordered my OST for James Keach documentary and look forward to buying and listening to the songs performed by Glen Campbell's family, and look forward to buying and listening to more product from this wonderful lineage.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Love,
Rob

Dee

Post by Dee »

Well, thank you, siblis! My DVD will be out soon! (not) lol
It was a challenge to film Glen Campbell on stage; as you saw in the videos he moved constantly from the mic to stage right and stage left. He was not always having to look at the teleprompters.

@Cowpoke, yes, that was one beautiful moment when Shannon picked up on the solo for WL for his Dad.
There was such love and team work between the band, including TJ, and Glen during the Goodbye Tour concerts.
I will dig out my reviews/set lists and some photos to post, too.
Thanks for your interest!

Looking forward to reading other fans' experiences here on the forums, too, the Goodbye Tour concerts as well as Glen's other concerts throughout his career.

siblis

Post by siblis »

Dee.....Beautifully shot!!!!

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Yes, we want to read your concert reviews too Dee! And thanks for sharing those videos. Awesome, how Shannon takes over the solo in WL (because Glen had to get his pick out :).
The dishwashing story is new to me too Rob. Isn't it funny how, that Glen came up with all these things, while the Alzheimer's was already there. I think Glen's son Cal also said that they were amazed each night, that Glen would come up with guitar licks they never heard him do before. Thanks for sharing your stories Rob. Keep them coming!

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Post by Dee »

Rob, thanks so much for sharing your Goodbye Tour concert experience with us. You described Glen onstage so beautifully. He truly was in his element and gave his best to fans.
I saw Glen near the beginning of his Goodbye Tour concert, September 15, 2011, and again on October 26, 2012. He didn't disappoint at either concert. I will post my "reviews" if you'd like to read them. At the 2011 concert, it really warmed my heart every time Glen said, "I'm so happy to be here!" I felt like shouting back, we're so happy you are here!
The proof is in the pudding as they say. Here are three videos that I took with permission at the October 26th concert that I thought you and other readers might like to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtyg0Dznoek" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (True Grit)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMo4OOq99Zw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Wichita Lineman)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQN7OK_RDoI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Rhinestone Cowboy)

Isn't Glen's energy amazing? This concert was close to the end of the long Goodbye Tour.

No, the John Wayne dishwashing story is new to me! I have never heard Glen tell that story. Does anyone else remember this Glen story?
He doesn't tell it in the doc so thank you for sharing this special memory as told by Glen about him and The Duke and dishwashing! This is a good story for the history books.

Dee

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

Good evening,

There is a lot say what it was like to see Glen Campbell perform live, all positive.

It was the farewell tour and so it is very important that I was able to attend the show with my family, the opening instrumental they played played over the monitors as the band was walking out on stage was so beautiful my teenager almost got up out of his seat to stand at attention.

I must confess the man looked and felt in his element, all the years playing, singing and selecting songs, it was most noticeable the way he was looking for the power and dynamic of each line, steeping back from the mic visualizing and softly intoning out loud what the character in the lyric is feeling and then jump back into the spotlight to deliver the goods was like watching a method actor find their motivation for the next shot, but that must be a nig part of the wrecking ball or wrecking crew to clean up the stage like that.

There is one question that I have as I have not seen the James Keach documentary, did anyone see or hear Glen Campbell share the True Grit dish washing story.

During the Seattle Farewell show, Glen Campnell told the audiance while he was on the set for True Grit he decided to help clean some dishes, if my memory serves me well, I believe he said John Wayne snuck up behind him and shouted, "Dad, I wanna do that"!

At this point Glen Campbell paused and told the audience, "Uh yhat's all he said".

It caused a little stir or ripple, that was enough... I do know the story went over well with me... if John Wayne thinks doing dishes is child's play that's big time news, I ate it up and felt very honored Glen Campbell took the time to share that memory.... My Man- thank you ever so much... sweet*

smile~

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Hi Mike,
so, we were only 3 rows apart! I wish I knew you then, we could have greeted each other. Yes, Glen wasn't as comfortable singing those news songs. But then again, most of this classics he had been singing for 30 years or more. I remember a penpal being jealous because I got to see Glen doing nine(!) new songs live and he hadn't yet. I also remember the sheer joy Glen radiated when singing those songs. It was just what he needed back then, some new material that challenged him. And some of those songs, like "All I Want is You", he had already mastered doing live by then.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...