Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Your Stories and Memories about Glen

Rock, Roll & Remember! Post your Glen Campbell photos and stories here!
robduloc

~

Post by robduloc »

Does anyone remember when True Grit was first released in the late 1960's.

Does anyone remember Charles Poris had a version of True Grit before the movie was released, only it was a hot property and a short matter of time, say half a year before the paperback was packaged with pictures from the movie.

Very cool~

Charles Portis wrote the novel True Grit and instaneously the follow up novel Norwood, both vehicles for Glen Campbell.

Glen Campbell accredits John Wayne for inviting him to work on True Grit and Campbell says that his acting is so bad it help Wayne win the Oscar.

Campbell has .also said that on the set of True Grit Rober Duvall had a lot of helpful tips.

But here's the thing, the character Campbell played in True Grit and Norwood aren't very funny, if Campbell had a chance to write his own lines and inject some humor into the part, it may have been a different vehicle all together, as the Glen Campmbell Good Time Hour will attest.

I just think that is important to say that when the second version of True Grit was released, I am among the people in the world that read the novel again before seeing the new version, literally, in two two installments the night before the screening.

And here is what I have to say.

Go back to the original novel.

Mattie, Cogburn and our Texas Ranger are the Three Musketeers, while on their hunt they never break up the party, go ahead and read it again- or for the first time, they know that they are in danger and chose to stay together because there is strength and protection in numbers.

That is what I love about Charles Portis True Grit, the Southern charm, hearth and home, you have to experience it first hand tro know what I'm talking about.

Don't break up the party

Thank you.

Love,
Rob

Stay True!

(I apologize for any grammar problems or misspellings}

robduloc

Re: Your Stories and Memories about Glen

Post by robduloc »

Glen Campbell I'll Be Me OST

Track 03
REMEMBERING l
(Ashley Campbell/Kai Welch)

Track 09
HOME AGAIN
(Jessie D. Hodges/Larry Rintye)

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

During the middle 1800's, a young privileged American like Scarlet would be privy to all the new fashions and trends coming out of Europe, waltzes would just beginning to take off and sweep the world off its' feet.

That's why I love the blending of the waltz and woodland themes during Gone With The Wind.

She never gives up on their true meaning and value.

When our souls are being tested, you don't look to the distant horizon for answers, a survivor learns to look beyond the horizon, and that's where she is going in her mind, seeking to return men and women on the front to their rightful home.

The blending of the waltz and woodland can't be shaken off, like a huge oak that has survived many storms, you learn to bend with the wind.

Most ironic when I learned the great pine trees in my area have shallow root systems and don't like to get their feet wet, and so it is only natural their stems create a huge umbrella, all the original houses were built alongside them for the cool dry shade.

And in the 1870's, the waltz gained a tremendous rise when troops were called back home, the glue to bind the old ways with the new.

And the format reinvented a hundred years later during the late 60's, I still get a kick out of a good waltz, there was even a style of music coined in the 1960's called Baroque Pop which used the harpsichord to full effect.

The William Tell Overture is also a certain style of composition or writing known in the 1800's as "The Gallop".

And so there are many ways to kick it out when you are happy and feeling your oats~

In a limited Deluxe Edition to his fan club Glen Campbell mentions that he doesn't care about the arrangement of a song as nuch the words because the lyrics are what is going to stand out and define he song or what the mood is about, with the melody second to that.

This requires a leap of faith, since it is always the melody, chord changes and twist and turns of song that stand out for me, I do know whenever Glen Campbell sings and plays that he is on fire, he understands the meaning and importance of a good music bar, he's gives it his all every time, take it home!

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

Now days, it's real easy to get sued if you publish a song or melody where two or three notes resembles another licensed work.

But from what I heard, Bach was the original "Recycler", writing Church and non secular music every day of his life coming out of a time of the world when the Church encouraged music for every day people and not just be an elite play for power.

That is why I love the Glen Campbell instrumentals Bach Talk and William Tell Overture.

William Tell is supposed to have really existed and lived in the woods outside of jurisdiction, the legend goes a noble man strung up his son and gave William Tell two arrows to prove that he could shoot an apple from a distance sitting on his son's head, when he hit the mark on the first try, the noble man commented on his expertise, William Tell is supposed to have replied something along the lines, "It is a good thing because if I missed, I would've used the next arrow on you"!

And so, Glen Campbell is able to capture the allure of being strong, wild, even tempered and good enough to hit your mark and have a rebellious side as well, and the heat on the hoof of a good chase.

Glen Campbell possessed the ability to hit his mark throughout his career, most recent with the ultimate set of songs, the album Ghost On The Canvas not to be eclipsed by any another artist or work.

A life time of living, love and loss, sacrifice and going for the prize, and an all abiding love for the lord, where else can you go to place your hopes, confessions and ultimate faith.

I stand at the sideline and admire Glen Campbell's beautiful family and lasting legacy, I speak for a lot of people, truly in awe and admiration, "Remembering" and "Home Again" are two of my favorite songs right now, thank you.

As a fan, I appreciate all that has come to light, I can't think of a better wife and companion for one of the hardest working musicians in the business.

Thoughts turn to Dreams Of The Everyday Housewife, a song that I've owned and listened to for most my life, it's a waltz.

I understood and knew that theme or dynamic from the onset.

All the things a woman sacrificed for her man in the 60's, the drudgery and hard work, maybe a new dress and a night on the town if the husband remembers to ask her out or is not too tired.

Naturally, thoughts turn to first love, past conquests, what does it take to be in a marriage and keep the love alive day to day.

It's in the arrangement, the life long commitment, building and ever expanding, a triumph of the heart.

An inner beauty, always rising from the depths of a soul outwardly from breath to breath, yesterday's perfume most noticeable as temperature rises, the secret ways and thoughts of the heart.

Waltzes are a popular dance that stemmed from Europe during the 1870's.

The motif is used heavily in Gone With The Wind.

The story opens with Scarlet's coming out party, her first chance to be debuted in front of the world, instead the party is used to announce pending war, the moment is no longer just about her.

As the war advances, she can't help return to that party, always in the back of her mind how different life would be if her men weren't called to arms, life turned upside down.

In turn, the men standing guard at their lonely post secretly pine for home and their old hunting grounds, lonely, wounded beyond words, an empty hungry stomach seeking relief.

The waltz motif is intermixed with woodland themes this way, where does a spirit go deep in thought, but most familiar signs of home on the rise, a favorite hunting dog and neck of the woods bathed in welcome cool shadow, swimming in the morning sun, every inch easy on the eyes, heart and soul.

No doubt, life is a series of second chances.

Nothing is more pronounced than the way music can bring this to life, returning to a resounding chorus to refresh the ear, to have a heart, know where it is and what it is for.

I recently heard at Church, your history is not your destiny.

There is room to grow and take your rightful place among the ones you love.

Now and forever more.

Yes, the Dreams Of The Everyday Housewife is everybody's dream every man, woman and child who been held or squeezed by their mother or a budding woman or lifelong love, come take your part in the great dance, pick up your skirt and lift your heart to the sky!

Is my dream and wish for you.

Happy Easter, everybody.

Love,
Rob

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

Hi Cowpoke,

I was the head custodian at a middle school for four years, it is there where I learned or like to say that I found OMG is pronounced or recited in a day than all the churches of the world combined!

But you know, we all reach an age where it is all about being seen and heard, and it isn't lost on me when Glen Campbell said in the late 60's Gentle On My Mind is his favorite song and Wichita Lineman his favorite recording, isn't wonderful that popular music had come that far to make that sort of distinction, the ability for a melody to grab somebody, the words resonate and the arrangements and multiple tracks open to something bigger and broader.

I was the person who mentioned here as a child growing up in the 60's, there was something about the orchestral arrangement for Wichita Lineman that resembled or struck me as morse code, after I said that I went back and listen to the song again, and I believe the staccato like blend or arrangement is a flute and an electric organ stop, you know how that goes don't you, when a producer or arranger combines a couple instruments and come up with a new blend or sound.

Most of the time, I don't know exactly what instruments I am hearing when a certain combination creates or new sound or effect.

Here is an incredible update, listen to the instrumental between the first couple songs on Ghost On The Canvas, there is an electronic keyboard that sounds remarkably like someone sending out a morse code message, it's the artist sending out a lifeline for all his listeners that he is still here and has something important o share with the world.

I won't ruin it and say which track, but it does sound like a motif to resemble a morse code message, confirmation for me, Glen Campbell was always putting out a signal, when you are a Lineman the frontier is a broad expanse, naturally feeling would return to home and loved ones when there is enough wire and work to stretch on forever, much like a traveling musician who's personal life and needs are sacrificed to meet the needs of people and fill a void the only way an artist can when a musician are working when everybody else is eating, playing or sleeping.

Glen Campbell is solid testimony, we are all on the receiving line or end, music feeds us all, something that you can't touch but can hold, in your heart and hands, and make your very own.

There is no doubt, I continue to live all my dreams through songs like Wichita Lineman, and the feed is strong and vital, and goes on and on.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Thanks for your posts again Rob. I hope I don't offend you by saying you're the kind of person Jimmy Webb was thinking about when he wrote Wichita Lineman, someone busy doing an everyday job like the rest of us and yet having these profound thoughts anf feelings going on at the same time. And how lucky I am to be able to read about them.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
robduloc

Post by robduloc »

Thank you, Cowpoke and Mr. Glenn Thomas,

I would be interested in hearing any stories that Mr. Thomas would like to share about what it was like to learn how to read and play music and perform in front of people, are there any key moments, teachers or songs to spur matters.

And the story of Glen Campbell and his Grandfather is very powerful.

It is my experience that it is a great comfort for an artist to know that their music will survive and live on.

I know that the Ancient Greeks talk about the River Of Forgetfulness after you die how could that be?

And I know that is my calling in this life to listen.

Even though I can not read, write or play music, I know that there is a lot of music in me.

Last Friday, I was playing Ghost On The Canvas after lunch, my kitchen manager asked who it was, and said that her mother is under watchful care, and even though she can no longer sing note for note, she remembers all the words to the gospel songs she learned over the years and the words to her Big Band arrangements.

I told her that what Frank Sinatra was for the Bobby Soxers in the early 40's, Glen Campbell was for me in my day, she had to agree!

And so I will always tend to live vicariously through other people's music, it keeps me alive and I know the Lord isn't finished with me, and it should serve as a great comfort that it is our faith there is more and make our way past all the shadows, music will always be there for us on one level or another, it's our nature, love has an indestructible side.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Now there you are naming a song, Glenn. The Last Time I Saw Her is one of my favorites too. And, according to recent interview, it's one of Gordon Lightfoot's favorite covers of his songs too.
The last highlight in the work of Glen and his arranger / producer Al de Lory.

Here's that song combined with images from the animated movie The Last Unicorn (for which Jimmy Webb wrote the soundtrack music btw).

glenn.thomas

Post by glenn.thomas »

I'm still playing but not so much these days, though still singing quite a bit..(I host a weekly karaoke show in pub) and get my fix of audience exposure !
That summer show included the writer of the song Gentle on My Mind (John Hartford playing backup banjo). It was a great show but of course that was
1968 I believe.. almost 47 years ago so I don't remember much of them... but my ALL-TIME favourite of Glen's was his cover of Gordon Lightfoot's song
"The Last Time I Saw Her".... I am a hopeless romantic so it struck a chord !

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Hi Glenn, welcome to the Glen Campbell Forums! Do you still play guitar? I never saw those tv shows when they first aired but I can imagine they made an impression on musically inclined kids. One of Glen's legacies I think is inspiring millions of young people to pick up the guitar! Thanks for posting. Looking forward to your next one! :)