Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Your Stories and Memories about Glen

Rock, Roll & Remember! Post your Glen Campbell photos and stories here!
robduloc

Re: Your Stories and Memories about Glen

Post by robduloc »

Dee is my hero for posting my pic, I was a little worried my explanation was a little over the top, no pun intended~

I just want to be a little more public sharing my feelings, and so I would like to come and visit here more.

For many centuries, little boys in Europe did not receive their first pair of pants until they were much older.

From what I've read, they had a way of banging up their knees and pants would cost to much to replace, and so the first pictures were always in a skirt, usually fashioned out of one piece of material. The child never never looked very happy, probably could never play properly, all those banged up knees.

And there was another matter, "The buckethead".

A little boy was not allowed to have short hair, too much constant upkeep.

When the hair grew shoulder length, a bowl was placed on top of the head and cut around the ears in an even fashion, yes, that means a mop top, hair slightly over the ears and back of the neck, it was hard to tell the boys from the girls.

It was a big deal when an older boy got to look and and act more masculine.

That is what it was like in Europe all the way up to around the late 1940's.

From what I have read, the bucket head had a second life when students from Art School in Great Britain post W.W. II, had designs to fend off holding down various hard jobs where you get your hands dirty, opting for draftsman or other desk jobs.

All across Europe in every foreign language speaking country, art students grew their hair long vying for the bucket head look.

The fab four got their start this way, only they were different, they wore, "duck tails" and "Jelly rolls", because black musicians all through out the '40's and '50's had special tricks and ways to flatten their hair.

To create a jelly roll requires to grow your hair long and grease it back, art students and starving artist know a good thing, where to get a free meal or swim for some much needed exercise.

It is in one of these swim halls where the jelly roll was wet and long locks fell in front of their face an art student from Hamburg told a very young George Harrison to keep it that way, and opt for the school boy clean mop top or bucket head over the greasy look.

It stuck.

That was late '59 early '60.

But do you know what?

The same thing was happening half way around the planet, and the two worlds hadn't even collided.

California 1960 had a much different economy versus war torn Europe post W.W. II.

It was the land of milk and honey, natives of Los Angeles were very much in the swing of things, buying, listening and learning to play rock and roll and join rock and roll bands.

Jelly rolls and duck tails were very prominent, and men were learning when they swam and stepped out of the warm California ocean, they looked good in their long locks as it dried in the sun.

The long sleek look didn't just come from anywhere, zoot suits, tuxedo jackets and rock and roll were at the forefront for everybody.

Pocket combs were immensely popular, long hair required a lot more care and maintenance, I spent the first part of my childhood in the early sixties spreading butch wax across my crew cut, it may as well have been lard.

We have a lot to thank for the rock and roll generation and art college student, the layering, tapering, more care and attention to boy's and men's hair.

Glen Campbell is so beautiful, I am sure that he always had the perfect hair cut, being in the entertainment business, or public eye, it is ironic to think of him and his wife loading up their car and moving to Los Angeles, who are the first shops or salons to cut his hair.

Does anyone remember, or is it a little note or detail to go down in history, Hollywood had a hand shaping the Glen Campbell look. It really does go back to The Everly Brothers in the late 50's and later country and western artist with the long sleek well maintained look.

A new look surfaced for males in the early 70's, they called it the, "shag" it was long but didn't required as much upkeep, it was pretty radical, a number of boys and men chose to remain with the shorter and much cleaner tapered and layered look which required more care and upkeep.

Why look like someone who has just rolled out of bed. Hygiene, care and attention to hair is tantamount. A constant process.

That is why I love Glen Campbell. All through his life kept true to his roots!

Wink*

Thank you,

Rob

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

When I look at my 7th Grade photo, I can see Jimmy Webb has control of my mind... my poor teachers!

10 Glen Campbell albums purchased between 3rd and 6th Grade~ They're only good to hold and admire the slicks. Unplayable.

Wore the grooves on those records*

Have a tendency these days to mouth all the words to the songs....

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

Okay, there was no barber in town that would allow your hair to grow over your ears, until Glen Campbell.

So, my Uncle is a successful hair dresser in San Francisco, he moves up to the Northwest in 1970.

Alright?

I want a Glen Campbell haircut.

He says that it is easy.

All I have to do is grow my hair and in the course of six months, he will taper my hair and achieve the look I want.

It involves faux sideburns.

Lord knows I want sideburns, every kid on the block for that matter, an effect I cannot achieve because I am only 12.

No barber would allow a boy's hair beside their ear to grow that long, it was too feminine and in their mind involved a girl's "locks".

But I loved my fake sideburns, a huge departure form what they were pushing, "white walls".

My uncle gave me Vidal Sassoon hair shampoo and hair spray to maintain the look.

He went on to be the main main hair dresser for Bellevue Nordstrom and by the end of of 9th Grade, everyone had tapered hair and a duck tail!

Thank you, Mr. Campbell, and the "West Coast Look".

smile~

Dee

Post by Dee »

Rob ("Robduloc") asked if I would post this photo of him, and I am happy to do so.
This is Rob sporting his Glen Campbell haircut at age 12 in 1971!

[Click on image once to enlarge viewing window.]
1971_Age 12_Rob's Glen Campbell Hair Cut-gcf.jpg
1971_Age 12_Rob's Glen Campbell Hair Cut-gcf.jpg (82.19 KiB) Viewed 12714 times

Dee

Post by Dee »

Hi, Robduloc!
Yes, this imagery thing is funny.
First image that came to my mind about what we picture in our minds when thinking about a wheat field and the field being tilled vs. long golden sheaves:
Is the glass half empty or half full?
Do you think there is a parallel?
Maybe not?
How about when you listen to Sting's "Fields of Gold"? Different image maybe?
Really wish Glen had covered this song on an album or performed it for a recorded live concert.
Rob, I really appreciate how you beautifully described the connection to Glen Campbell.
Dee

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

Hi, everybody!

Here's the funny thing... the crows flying in and around the wheat field... I always picture the field being tilled.

Isn't that funny?

How does a song conjure or stir an image like that every time upon repeated listening and when it is instilled in my head at work or driving.

Is it the artist, composer, arranger, musicians?

It must be from a higher source.

Our connection to Campbell, the indestructable side of our nature, love reigns supreme, the tilling and constant upkeep of our thoughts, our treasures and where our hearts lie.

No doubt, we live our dreams through the eyes and ears and hands of the artist, we follow their movement and path, a smoking, flaming alter where we can purge ourselves.

The tilled field, stumps broken down to their roots, moist earth, always conjures a cold side in me whenever I listen to the song Ghost On The Canvas, but like a spirit leaving the body and lookin at a shell, see and find there is more, the warmth sets in, love is the all supreme guiding force just like our hearts have telling us all along.

And so the crows rise above the cold damp dark side our nature, and seized by the moment, help comes in all kinds of shapes and forms.

And the release is most welcome, love restores eyesight to the blind.

Glen Campbell Ghost On The Canvas.

I know that I will be looking for the sprouting bulbs and blooms this Spring and thank heaven for where Glen Campbell's star has taken me.

The romance has only just begun.

Thank you, guys.

Love,
Rob~

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

One more thing about the "Spirits make love in a wheatfield with crows" line. I know it's a footnote to a footnote, but on one of the youtube videos of Glen performing the song live, when Glen comes to this line and sings it (off the teleprompter) he says to himself (but audible for the audience) "I have to change that line". Apparantly, Glen thought the line was not entirely right and he had to "tweak" it, like he did many times before with other songs. I think the line is beautiful, but there is a double meaning there which some people might find awkward, namely that the spirits are making love with the crows. The song points to a painting by Vincent van Gogh called "Wheatfield with Crows" but if you don't know that, it might sound a little strange. Glen, who always focused on communicating a song to a broad audience, might have wanted to change that line.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
robduloc

Post by robduloc »

Glen Campbell's undying faith, love and attention to his craft has been a source of comfort for a long time and I appreciate the beautiful legacy that his family is passing onto us, one song and heart at a time~

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

Beautiful*

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

Thank you, Cowpoke,

I've been listening to Ghost On The Canvas on a more regular basis these days rather than saving it for some special occasion, it's been serving as my everyday fuzzy feel good album, nice to feel that I can sit back and be entertained for 16 tracks, new, scary and fresh every time, like the crows in the field part, wet paint drying on a masterwork, helps to settle my nerves, none of the songs are sad to me, I get excited and when an artist can touch a vital vein, the analogy of the mirror helps, all the photos and visuals for the album cover allude to that, I can see it now, thank you.

And thank you, for the link!