Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Rob's Transcripts

Rock, Roll & Remember! Post your Glen Campbell photos and stories here!
robduloc

Re: Your Stories and Memories about Glen

Post by robduloc »

Thank you, Dee.

Glen Campbell is so articulate when he discusses music.

In the Miller interview, he pronounces the Gaelic words Shee-am-say, and Uilleann Pipes perfectly.

But he's so humble, he turns to his band mate off camera to make sure.

The concert in Cork must have been a major topic on long air flights or cross country drives.

He is right to note there are two kinds of Gaelic music, hill music and folk music.

Hill music would be strathspeys or aires.

It is a very pastoral way to write, play and sing.

The names are surely rooted in the word stratosphere or music that is sure to lift spirits and send your heart into outermost reaches of the cosmos or stratus.

Shut off from the world tending to flocks in the mountains, lonely for human companionship, drinking in the stars, so much to give, looking for your human counterpart in song, that is Gaelic hill music.

I always make an effort to catch all the Celtic bands when they blow through town, Altan was here just last Spring.

A reel is more hurried at the heart of a bustling metropolis where elbows rub while drinking and dancing are in full swing, that is the folk fringe, competing for a seat, bar service and get your jollies amid a full house.

And the core instruments of a fully operating unit, tin whistle, banjo, bass, fiddle, add drums, pipes, accordion acoustic rhythm guitar and vocals, it really is quite plain where our hill music and folk songs were imported from.

It is only natural that Campbell would be drawn to that!

Especially the way music can bring everybody together~

Glen Campbell and his band get that side, how to warm and enliven a room.

But to appreciate where all this magic comes from, and give credit, that requires some serious deep roots.

Grow strong and tall in the Glen Campbell tradition, to be influenced and still make something all your own.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Outstanding, Rob! Thank you so much for sharing your transcript with us. This interview covered a lot of Campbellology, didn't it?
I couldn't help but be reminded of Glen Campbell on his Goodbye Tour when he said this to Miller: "I love to look out into the audience and see uh, happy smiling faces, that you see love in their eyes..."
Dee

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

From the YouTube clip, "Glen Campbell talks with Dan Miller".

Miller
We are back with uh, Glen Campbell. After your TV show went off the air uh, it was '72 I think.

Campbell
Uhm-hmm

Miller
When it left the air it was a period of a few years when you weren't havin' a lot of Hit Records.

Campbell
Yeah.

Miller
A little low.

Campbell
I was workin'.

Miller
Before Rhinestone Cowboy, did you get a little panicked and uh, did you get... did you gauge your success by the regularity of your records.

Campbell
No-no, uh, I was, I was just workin' for awhile, I wasn't, I wasn't finding any songs, really.

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
And when Rhinestone Cowboy came along I took it uh, it was in '74 when I first heard it yeah, on KNX...

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
On L.A. And Larry Weiss... his album had been out a year and uh, it was just somethin' I wanted to say, took it up to Australia.

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
I was doin' a few of Australia, I played it over and over and over, and I must've played it 200 times- gosh, over 200 times, you have... a 1000 times is more like it.

Miller
Just listenin' to it.

Campbell
Yeah. And gettin' it in. I just knew that I, I could hear the whole thing before I got to L.A. Walked right into the studio and a guy said I got a song I want you to record and he said if you'll cut it for me I'll make it No. 1 and it was Rhinestone Cowboy (chuckles).

Miller
Yeah. And it worked.

Campbell
Yeah, Number One all across the board. I like that.

Miller
But you don't, you don't feel the pressure, uh, ta' ta' constantly make the, the regular hit song come out every six months, or however, after you release them.

Campbell
No, I...

Miller
Or so...

Campbell
I don't really, because I've been very fortunate to uh, uh- and blessedto have the songs that I have done. They've become Standards. They were good yesterday, they were good today and they will be good tomorrow (knocks on wood off camera with right hand).

Miller
Yeah.

Campbell
You know, thank God, and uh, that is really what I think... quite... uh, I don't know if you could call it a separate inspiration or what, makes a person stay where they are... I mean, uh-uh, to do something that you... no... to do it right, how like on stage... I'm, I'm having... uh, that's where I am happiest, on the stage, singin' live, or playin' live.

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
I finally realized that uh... I have a gift to play and sing and uh, not to abuse that, or bastardize, uh, what God give ya', it's so much fun. To sing and play now. And I'm lookin' forward to that- that's why I'm in Nashville... and I am down here in Nashville...

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
Uh, they're cuttin' an album.

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
Cuz, I wanna cut some more of those kind of songs now uh, that will last, say like, "Sweet Sixteen"...

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
Or huh, some things that are going to be around a long time.

Miller
Yeah.

Campbell
You know, Amazing Grace is over 200 years old and everybody knows it!

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
Why? It's a good, good uh, piece of material.

Miller
Yeah. I'm uh, fascinated by the fact that you didn't read uh, that you don't read music. You play a lot of instruments and in fact, I think that I can remember uh, once seeing you on some TV show playing the bagpipes.

Campbell
Oh, yeah!

Miller
You play the bagpipes.

Campbell
Uhm-hmm

Miller
That's... you speak of a beautiful instrument now that I have heard Amazing Grace, and in fact, that may be the song you played, I'm not sure...

Campbell
It probably was.

Miller
I heard people play that.

Campbell
Well, I...

Miller
Beautiful.

Campbell
I love it. I love the bagpipes. It's somethin' that's in your blood. Uh, you either love 'em or you hate 'em.

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
Or, just like them, but uh, uh, I... I heard The Royal Scots, The Royal Dragoon and uh, a record of Amazing Grace... and uh-uh, it just inspired me. It made me want to do Amazing Grace.

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
Uh, and so I got my pipes and there was an old Scotsman in Los Angeles named Daniel Hood, and uh, he was about 74- 75 years old, and uh, and uh, he played on my record of Amazing Grace, that it was uh, I think uh, "I Knew Jesus Before He Was A Superstar"...

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
And uh, he taught me how to play the pipes (Scot's accent) He said, "You do this lad, that's all that you do. You blow in here and you note it here and squeeze it here, you know"...

(both laugh)

Campbell
And it uh, and that's when, but it ain't that... it wasn't that easy, my goodness, gracious.

Miller
Uh, what's it... what's the hardest to play...of all the things you do.

Campbell
The bagpipes.

Miller
Yeah.

Campbell
They're the hardest, the hardest instrument ever, that I tried to play- and it was! I played bass for uh, a year and sang the high part of The Beach Boys in '65- that was hard to do, to play... for me play... then you learn to do two things.

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
You're playin' the lowest instrument in the band (chuckles)

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
And uh, your voice... you're singin' it... the, the... what would be the highest instrument... boy, and it took me a month to uh, to comprehend that and, and... to do both of them before I ws able to do them well.

Miller
You've sat in for the lead singer...

Campbell
For Brian...

Miller
For uh, Brian Wilson who had... who uses... I don't know uh, what's a falsetto.

Campbell
A falsetto, yeah!

Miller
And you did, did the same thing.

Campbell
Mhm-hmm. And...

Miller
Does that change your voice, and alter your voice, or singing...

Campbell
I would, I could say that it gave me another tone and a half on the top end, you know... where I'd like to say you know, on A and now that I can hit a high C with E!

Miller
Uh-huh

Campbell
Which is actually a falsetto.

Miller
In going into a falsetto...

Campbell
Yeah.

Miller
Do you still do The Beach Boys' songs?

Campbell
In... yeah, I haven't done them for awhile, I used ta'... I have two Beach Boys medley's that I do and uh, I would say some of the songs that I have played on- but that's why I went out on teh road with 'em and... and started doin' live because I had done so much studio work with 'em.

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
And the last thing that I worked on 'em with... was uh... Good Vibrations.

Miller
What was wrong with their lead singer. Where you'd move in with them.

Campbell
Brian? He got sick.

Miller
Oh-Oh...

Campbell
And I don't know, he gained a lot of weight and I don't know what it was- that he'd sit around and uh... a long time... and he got very very... it's like the old joke, "That I may be Schizophrenic, but I'll always have each other"!

Miller
(laughs)

Campbell
And Brian got a little... he got very, very... when he became a Star he uh, eh... it really did... it did somethin' to his head... about... he did, he did want to go out, and he couldn't go out and face people.

Miller
Hmm-hmm

Campbell
Like that, I mean, they took a survey one time I was readin' (chuckles) and uh, the... and it... I found out that it was an accurate- or survey that it... over death, fear of walkin' out and speakin' to uh, people live- fear that.

Miller
Yeah.

Campbell
More than death!

Miller
I read that.

Campbell
And Brian obviously caught... in the studio he was great and uh, but he would not go out and go on that stage. He just did... it was like he... it drove him crazy.

Miller
But there are a lot of good performers that have that same fear- Carly Simon, that I hear has had for many years uh, uh... a...

Campbell
Yeah.

Miller
A dreaded fear...

Campbell
Workin' on stage.

Miller
Goin' out on stage, which, which is unusual... I would that uh...

Campbell
I wonder what they would call that! That I wonder.... bein' afraid (chuckles)

Miller
Bein' afraid of goin' on a stage in front of people that's what I suppose... You've never had that though?

Campbell
No, I didn't. First time that we went out, I had always been around somebody. I was with The Champs, I uh (lowers voice) "Tequila" thing...

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
And goin' on the road, and makin' 80 bucks a week pullin' a trailer and you know, full of guitars and uh, amps, and uh, I always had somebody beside me you know... I was in a group with The Beach Boys- I was in a group, than when I had to walk up in there, I looked around and there was nobody to turn to.

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
And it was really scary and it took me a good year and a half ta' get ta'... get over that where I wasn't awkward or...

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
Uh, it seemed like I always had to relate to something or somebody.

Miller
Yeah.

Campbell
Then I found out you can't- you have to relate it to the audience.

Miller
Which you know everybody in the audience is staring at you.

Campbell
Yeah.

Miller
And there's nobody else out there, and you don't want to...

Campbell
Oh, that used to really bother me, I uh, I love it now, uh... I love to look out into the audience and see uh, happy smiling faces, that you see love in their eyes...

Miller
Uh-huh

Campbell
You know. Cork, Ireland, that we play on the 24th of uh, July this year... we played this Shee-am-say, I think that's what they call it. (looks off camera) What they call that, Carl? Siamsa... And I would never... it was... if you ever get a chance to uh, see an Irish band, go see 'em. It is the most hair raising... it's... it... it... sounds like hill music and folk music.

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
And uh, it's just everything blown into one. They have the uh, oh... what do they call those pipes uh, the uh, Uilleann... (looks off camera) Carl Jackson, he's my historian. The Uilleann pipes.... the Uilleann pipes, or somethin'... you pop 'em when you play 'em. That their instrumentation is considered uh, of that a tin whistle, mandolin, they play banjo, guitar, bass uh, and it was the most hair raising experience I have ver seen in my life... uh... I was sittin'... sittin' on the side of the stage and I was seein'... uh... everybody was just holdin' hands, and uh, I never seen such love and affection in all my life from a... from an audience.

Miller
Hmm-hmm

Campbell
And it started two in the afternoon and it was like 30,000 people there at the end of the Soccer Field and uh, I went out and uh, when I did Amazing Grace the pipes in, at the end, they drowned me out, it was, uh, was just a thrill.

Miller
Yep.

Campbell
And uh...

Miller
I bet!

Campbell
And I stood at the side of the stage and Carl ws sittin' there and I saw tears comin' out of Carl's eyes and I said, "Sure is good, ain't it"!

Miller
Yeah! (chuckles)

Campbell
Uh, I mean, you never saw so much love and so much feeling there. And that's what I see now,

Miller
Yeah

Campbell
What... when I'm on the stage and uh, I see people uh, uh, people out there.

Miller
Yeah.

Campbell
Comin'... comin' to pay money to see you and be what you are, do what you do.

Miller
Did you go through a little phase though Glen, with... with the ego when uh, before you were 30 years old. I read that you were makin' millions of dollars a year, you... you were the top singer in the Country... uh, did the ego take a little trip that uh, at that point?

Campbell
Not really... no.

Miller
Never did?

Campbell
Mhmm-hmm. No. I took up Golf about that time there.

Miller
Yeah.

Campbell
(chuckles)
Yeah, I mean before that- Golf will humble you!

Miller
(laughs)

Campbell
I... and I used ta'... I've mellowed on that too, Dan... it's like the kid playin' Golf with the older man you know... and he-he curves and he'd throw clubs and uhm, stick 'em in the ground.

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
You know and... uh...

Miller
Uhm-hmm?

Campbell
And kick dirt, he shot about 45 and he was hacker and he went through a round you know, and the old man looked at him and he said, "Son, I don't know why you do that, you ain'y yjay good anyway". And it, and it tried- the philosophy taught me a lesson there.

Miller
Yeah.

Campbell
And be happy. Be happy there. That you have... that you're breathing, you know.

Miller
Yeah, and you know that you can do it.

Campbell
Can do it. Definitely, you can do it.

Miller
Absolutely. You, you sponsor or that your name is still associated with, uh...

Campbell
No, last year was it.

Miller
You dropped it.

Campbell
Yeah. Or, they wanted to call it something... they wanted to put uh...

Miller
Or, whah, they dropped you, or...

Campbell
Yeah, I ever... I never there.

Miller
Hurt your feelings.

Campbell
No!

Miller
How do you put on a Golf Tournament, anyway?

Campbell
You put on a show. And you go, go do... uh... it's uh... lots... a lot of work involved in it, and I never made any money out of it but I did what I wanted, wanted to do with the Golf Tournament, and uh, fulfilled a promise to uh, Mr. Hathaway who owns uh, Los Angeles Athletic Club and own the Ravena Country Club.

Miller
Uhmm-hmm

Campbell
And said if you let me have the Golf Court for the L.A. Opener uh, that I would try to get a Major Tournament up there in which they had the PGA there last year

Miller
Uhmm-hmm

Campbell
And so everything worked out fine, so job done. Now I wanta maybe, I wanta do something for the Senor Players- the guy that's laid the foundation.

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
You know... they're playin' for not as large a purse I think it should be playin' for. So I wanna try and do somethin' in that vein too.

Miller
Year, uh went well.

Campbell
So sponsor a Tournament and so the guys over 50 can uh... Cuz I'm gonna be there too!

Miller
Ooh-yeah!

Campbell
God willin'... and I... in a few years... and uh... I have them get there before... a 400 or 500 thousand dollar purse to play.

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
Or more, because...

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
They kicked the door open for all the flat bellies they call 'em, and I mean...

Miller
Uh-huh

Campbell
Out there on the Tee, you know.

Miller
Does that bother you, that you, you say that you're closin' it on 50, as many of us saw as we are in the decade... that we are now closin' on... on 50, yeah...

Campbell
No.

Miller
You worry about- you wonder or worry about gettin' old...

Campbell
No.

Miller
For your age.

Campbell
Shoot, no! I'h uh, like George Burns you know, if you have... I mean, how many old people die over a 100?

Miller
That's right!

Campbell
But, uh, no. to get back what you're just sayin', no I don't worry about it... chronological age huh... is uh... I guess it's what the body ages, you know, I uh actually, you stop growin' but your skin skin keeps growin', that's what it is! (chuckles)

Miller
No! So you're goin' somewhere. It's saggin' and uh... yeah, right.

Campbell
But it uh, I don't pay that much attention to it. But spiritually, uh-huh, to live with your own inner spirit, I think is probably the best thing in the world to do uh, if people would've understand that love and... and uh, God and then uh, and... integrity, uh, there wouldn't be as many Psychiatrist working and probably...

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
And so just stay happy and uh, do what you do and uh, John Wayne's.... his philosophy was, uh... uh... if a man lies and cheats and steals it's not that you break any laws laid down by God our Creator. It's that you break your own integrity, and he said, "Show me a man without integrity and I'll show you a real".... and he had choice words...

Miller
Uhm-hmm. What do you want to be doing in ten years from now.

Campbell
[...], what I am doin' right now!

Miller
Sittin' on Miller & Co! Whew.

Campbell
Why not? (laughs) If you'll be hot enough to have me back then, right?

Miller
I hope so. And we'll do it. We'll check in with you.

Campbell
Just to keep singin' and playin'. Searchin' for the good songs.

Miller
Yeah, well, good luck to you!

Campbell
Thank you.

Miller
We appreciate you doin' this tonight,

Campbell
It's my pleasure!

Miller
Thabk you, Sir. Glen Campbell our guest tonight, thank you people, who are watching. That's our show, we'll see you back here, next week.

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

I'm sorry, but I wasn't able to fix or edit the part about Grandpa Campbell's Baptist Church, they allowed singing and playing, but you weren't allowed to dance in church, between the lame rules in his brother's and Grandpa's church, I would be a grab bag of mixed emotions growing up, I hope that the Baptist Church doesn't rule out dancing entirely, Glen married a Rockette. You Go, Girl!

Kick it out~

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

Hi, Dee,

Thank you, for your reply.

I believe that it was Son of Flintstone that knew Pat Boone was a silent backer so to speak, with the Gold Medal Flour group.

I have the second part of the Dan Miller interview that I would like to post here, it's a 28 minute interview, the two parts are in 14 minute blocks.

Each block took around five and a half to seven hours to write down by hand word for word and line by line, roughly sixty pages a section in my chicken scrawl or 120 pages total of hard copy, four hours to check that I got everything, and 5 hours here to type 14 minutes of discussion, and so, I suppose the Dan Miller interview will require around 24 hours to complete and post in its' finished form.

The adrenaline is pumping the whole time, that's for sure, the Dan Miller interview is really good to watch and study all the emotions and wide range of inflections in Glen's face and voice, I'm sure that he is very interesting to interview, the camera and sound people eat it up!

Dee

Post by Dee »

Rob, thank you so much for posting your detailed transcript of Glen being interviewed by Dan Miller!
How long did it take you to write down, then create this typed transcript?
Again, I get so much more out of an interview by reading its transcript, and this interview has some shining moments and most definitely dry, humorous quips that I had missed when listening to the video.
Thanks again for sharing your work (and your joy) with us!
--Dee-lighted!

(P.S. I am still searching for a tie between Pat Boone and Gold Medal Flour.)

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

From the YouTube clip, "Glen Campbelll talks with Dan Miller".

Miller
We're back and our guest tonight is Glen Campbell, pride of Delight Ar... It is Delight.

Campbell
Delight!

Miller
Not, Dah-light... Dee-light.

Campbell
Right, Delight!

Miller
You put that city on the map didn't you, by talking about it so much.

Campbell
Yeah, they did put it on the map.

Miller
...did... They did... So, you did... You made it well known.

Campbell
(laughs)
No, but it wasn't on the map!

Miller
That it was literally...

Campbell
Literally, it wasn't on the map, for uh... So, they finally put it on there...

Miller
You ever get back there?

Campbell
Yeah! Oh, yeah, I was back uh... been back twice the last couple months... went back fishin' Labor Day, just had a ball... floated down the Missouri River which is down in Pike County Arkansas. Caught a boatload of Bass.

Miller
Bass.

Campbell
I better not.... I better hush... I haven't a license!

Miller
Well, this doesn't get into Arkansas anyway.

Campbell
Oh, good.

Miller
Now they have a sign on the City Limits there that says uh, "Home of Glen Campbell".

Campbell
Yeah, home of Glen Campbell, oh boy, yeah. People go by and shoot at it (laughs) Kick it, go hit hit it with rocks, you know,

Miller
Throw bottles, yeah.

Campbell
That really is what it for... it's a target for that... It's funny.

Miller
Sure must make you feel good. You live in Phoenix now.

Campbell
Uhm-hmm

Miller
Finally got there, huh.

Campbell
Finally got to Phoenix.

Miller
Did you... when you did that song By The Time I Get To Phoenix, do you have any idea that you'd end up actually living there.

Campbell
No, I sure didn't. Uh, I'm kinda like it says about the wind you know, you... it comes from... displaced, and you hear it, and goes to another place... it's kinda the way I am in life, you know.

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
Yes, I guess I am told I am like a free spirit as far as- I have no qualms about where I live really... I like to be comfortable...

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
And I dislike cold... I mean cold weather and I do not agree...

Miller
Yeah

Campbell
At all!

Miller
Well, it gets cold in Phoenix...

Campbell
No, not really.

Miller
Oh

Campbell
I have a little orange... uh, five acres of orange trees about 130 citrus trees and uh, no it never freezes there, hardly.

Miller
I... I've over there sometime on flights...

Campbell
You can get up 20 miles out of Phoenix and it freezes...

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
But it is really nice. I really do like it and it's a great State. They've got great School System for uh... I'm gonna raise some kids.

Miller
You got a new kid.

Campbell
Yeah

Miller
A new family.

Campbell
Nicholas Caledonia Campbell...

Miller
Now where did the name Nicholas Caledonia come from.

Campbell
Well, Nicholas came from Jack Nicklaus I think.

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
And uh, Caledonia was the old name for Scotland, and uh, I'm Scottish and Irish uh, and they call it, "New Caledonia"... They called it, "Scotland", I think... And I don't know really... know what it means... it means something, "From a place where people gather"... or something,

Miller
Yeah, uhm, and you call him Cal.

Campbell
Cal.

Miller
Cal... we might get Cal up on the set here a little while later and...

Campbell
Oh, and he'd like it!

Miller
How old is Cal.

Campbell
He's... six months, and he's uh, goin' on four already, I'm...

Miller
How so.

Campbell
...I'm not goin' to make the same mistake twice. Who was- George Carlin said that anybody who makes the same mistake, uh... the same mistake twice, they oughta hang him, and they won't do it again.

Miller
Yeah!

Campbell
And so... I'm carryin' the kid around with me and he is gettin' to see what daddy does, cuz, I think kids are gonna want to be with their parents...

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
You know...

Miller
You didn't do that before.

Campbell
No, I didn't and I think uh, that it was probably a mistake uh, that I will correct, at least with Cal.

Miller
How many kids do you have?

Camobell
Cal is my seventh child, the seventh one...

Miller
The seventh one. And you have some Grand Kids, as far as I understand.

Campbell
Uhm-hmm... I have two Grand Babies, my daughter from my first marriage- Teen Marriage... Wow...

Miller
Uh-hm

Campbell
That seems weird, I have uh, a Grand Kid.

Miller
It does... you don't... you don't...

Campbell
My daughter insist that they call me Grandpa.

Miller
(laughs)

Campbell
But no, I'm Poppa, Poppa Glen now, you know huh?

Miller
It's gonna seem funny for Cal now, to have uh, they will be... be his...

Campbell
Uncle.

Miller
Uncle.

Campbell
Cal will be the...

Miller
What?

Campbell
I don't know, I'll be gettin'... in to be my own Grandpa, probably.

Miller
(laughs)
We'll get some specialist in to figure out this relationship or a little later, but you'll have Grand Kids.

Campbell
I have Grand Kids and Cal is their Uncle.

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
And they're older than Cal!

Miller
That's right, it's gonna seem strange...

Campbell
That's right.

Miller
I suppose as they grow up...

Campbell
Uhm-hmm... to call him Uncle Cal... (laughs)

Miller
And you want, you still want more kids, you say.

Campbell
Oh yeah, definitely.

Miller
What's... is there... are... magic number that you're shootin' for.

Campbell
I'd like, I'd like two more boys, then I'd have a seventh son.

Miller
Uh-hmm

Campbell
I'm a seventh son.

Miller
You are, I read that, that you are the seventh son of a seventh son.

Campbell
No. I'm a seventh... My dad was uh, I think uh, the second son.

Miller
So read that wrong, uhm-hm?

Campbell
Yeah, and Grandpa wasn't a preacher, my brother is a Church of Christ preacher...

Miller
Read that wrong too.

Campbell
And Grandpa- Well, it's been bio'd, you know...

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
I find that uh, that they got...

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
I find out this one, from The National Enquirer! (laughs)

Miller
No, I find out reading, that these bio's, these articles are time... time and again... they are..

Campbell
They do.

Miller
They do, their little facts are wrong.

Campbell
This facts... but uh, Grandpa Campbell you know, he went to the Baptist Church.

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
That always was, is so strange to me uh, when I was a kid growin' up, about religion, and uh... at the Church of Christ, which they did- they don't play music...

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
And they're not allowed to play... even play guitar... they don't, they don't even have a whistle that you hum...

Miller
Yeah

Campbell
The key you're in... they go... (hums) and they all start singing.

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
(singing)
"In the Sweet By and By"... And you kinda have to...

Miller
Yeah

Campbell
And everybody just joins in and- but, they allowed dancin'...

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
And then uh, I do out at the Baptist Church at Grandpa Campbell... because I could play my guitar and sing...

Miller
Yeah

Campbell
In the church, but, they allow dancin' and I said, they... they got that wrong, and they should put the music where they allow dancin' and...

Miller
Yeah, Yeah!

Campbell
And uh, it was always somethin' to me when I was a kid, but that's where mainly I got all my training for singing...

Miller

Campbell
In the church.

Miller
We'll, let me ask you about this seventh son because I always heard that there is something to being the seventh son, that there is... it's... it's a omen of destiny or something.

Campbell
I, yes, I do feel that sometime uh, my Brother May tell me about stories when I was a kid, I drowned when I was about uh, 20 months old- like no breathin', no pulse or anything, and for like twenty five minutes, and uh, I think the Good Lord took me up and gave me a good talkin' to before I could talk back.

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
And uh, I had a lady tell me once that she said, "Glen, you're a seventh son"... and uh, I said, "Oh, am I"? She said that you will... your dest... you will do a lot of things in your life, that you, in other words, life will take you to places that you've never dreamed of...

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
You know,,, and in other words my dreams weren't that big, you know... just to play my guitar and sing was about all that I ever really looked forward to because I truly enjoyed doin' it.

Miller
You didn't look... to be famous, or to be rich, or to be a celebrity...

Campbell
No, it was never one of my goals. Uh, when I was in, like I said, when I was in 10th Grade of school, in Linden New Mexico, and I failed a Geography test or somethin', and I said, all I wanted to do was play and sing, I was playin' on the weekends at a place called Coon Holler and I said (chuckles) I really don't care where Czechoslovakia is right now...

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
In my life you know...

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
If I ever want to go there, I'll read it up and find out about it then- this is goin; through...

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
My little mind, you know- and right then I quit High School and I played... I played music from then on, six days a week... seven days a week...

Miller
Uh, when you, you were uh, a very successful studio musician in L.A. and uh, uh from what I understandbaxk many years ago, making pretty good money doin' that...

Campbell
Oh... uh, there's good money in studio work and uh...

Miller
And doin' work... doing hundreds of sessions...

Campbell
That was really a thrill- ta, ta, ta the people that I worked with, or for... and in the studio... say, the Sinatra's, that was the biggest thrill for me in the world... to stand right... or, I'll be here, and sit there, and play guitar and Sinatra's ten feet there away...

Miller
Sing live with the musicians and the musicians filled in later...

Campbell
No! He did it live,,, (Stranger's In The Night) Scooby Scooby Do...

Miller
Mhm-hmm

Campbell
Yeah, they have long time trying to get the laughs out of that, I tell you, it was the first thing that I played on... but, in Nashville, there were many good rhythm guitar players- L.A. there wasn't that many, in other words there was nobody up there that didn't even know how to use a capo...

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
And when I, and when you're playin' an E-flat, or anything, you know, flat or sharp except for G or whatever, I really don'y know all of them flats or sharps are to be honest but I could put the capo on and you know, get an open ringing sound...

Miller
Now, a capo is a little thing that goes over the neck of a guitar.

Campbell
Right.

Miller
And changes the string or the structure.

Campbell
You can play E-flat only I play in the C position and it;s open and ringin' where you can't do that unless you got the capo.

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
And that was mainly my call as a rhythm guitar and it was playin' some fancy lead on stuff and uh, and when I started workin' with Haggard, that uh, I really did enjoy that... got for a whole period of my life for about two to three years there, I worked with uh, Merle and Bonnie, the first one that I worked on was. "The Fugitive" and all that you know, all of the "Sing Me Back Home"...

Miller
The Classic stuff.

Campbell
Oh, just great stuff.

Miller
Yeah.

Campbell
"Hickory Holler's Tramp".

Miller
Can you read music?

Campbell
No.

Miller
Still can't.

Campbell
I read chords you know, not, not enough to hurt my pickin' as they say (laughs). Back in the...

Miller
To interfere with the naturalness of it.

Campbell
Right.

Miller
What I, what I was gettin' at this thing is, is to give up that lucrative studio work and strike out on your own career, to make a name for Glen Campbell...

Campbell
Uh..

Miller
Was that uh, sort of a drive to become...

Campbell
I was...

Miller
A big artist!

Campbell
No, I was very surprised, uh, Television... when the TV show hit. it was amazing cuz you've got... it was a number one show and you have anywhere from 50 to 60 million people...

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
A week watching... and would not only trip...

Miller
Kinda like we have here on Miller & Co...

Campbell
Right!

Miller
Bas... basically about the same audience.

Campbell
And uh, I went to England to get something started over there because "Gentle On My Mind" started happenin'...

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
And "ByThe Time I Get To Phoenix" happening.... and I said how does a, "By The Time I Get To Phoenix" get to be a hit in England you know, or Great Britain...

Miller
They don't know where it is...

Campbell
Yeah, but it was, it was a big song for me over there, and uh, I come back and landed in Chicago, "Mr. Campbell, welcome home", and I said how does this guy know me, and, and it didn't dawn on me that... see your face on that... the... the shows that aired. And you look at the charts and there are 5 albums and it was far beyond anything that I had ever dreamed of because... when I was Albuquerque workin' I never... never forget Roger Miller had come through...

Miller
Hmm-hmm

Campbell
And Willie Nelson had come through also, but Roger was playin' fiddle with Ray Price and singin' harmony then.

Miller
Hmm-hmm

Campbell
And that would,,, that was my dream you know, The Glen Campbell Show on the side of the bus.

Miller
Hmm-hmm

Campbell
Well, for some reason,,, and... and it... this threw it far beyond anything that I had ever dreamed of...

Miller
It just catapulted you...

Campbell
Yeah.

Miller
Away...

Campbell
But, I kept doing studio work...

Miller
Yeah.

Campbell
Up ta' 1968. My New Year's resolution was I'll play on Glen sessions.

Miller
Uh-huh

Campbell
Well, I did break that after call... Hag called me and wanted to do the uh, harmony on "Caroline", and so shoot... I'd go into the studio and do it.

Miller
Hmm-hmm

Campbell
But, it was just... I mean, I kept on doin' it even after "Gentle On My Mind" came out and "By The Time I Get To Phoenix" in 1967... I... I was still doin' studio work.

Miller
How did you get mixed up with The Smothers Brothers, did they just call you one day and say they wanted you to do our show.

Campbell
No, I played on their album- I played on a couple of their albums.

Miller
Wow!

Campbell
I met everybody, literally, in the business and so...

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
And to meet the people that you uh, that you'd work for you know, say, the "Ray Charles", or, "Nat King Cole"- was a wonderful soul...

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
Uh, God rest his soul... but to, uh, play for the "Dean Martin's" and Sinatra's and the "Elvis'es" and then on that level as... as a studio musician and then to talk with them on the level, say as one of their pars then, you could really tell then the good ones from the bad ones, you know.

Miller
Hmm-hmm

Campbell
You know... that were the Mister Shuck and Jives and the ones that were the real people.

Miller
Yeah.

Campbell
And the ones that talk of...

Miller
Yeah.

Campbell
I were... probably the most real persons that I met was John Wayne.

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
Well... boy, he... had a little daughter that was a big fan of Glen Campbell, she was about 6 or 7 years old then, uh... and Duke brought her down to get my autograph... you talk about, heh-heh-heh....

Miller
John Wayne bringin' down his daughter.

Campbell
Oh, my goodness!

Miller
Yeah.

Campbell
Yeah, I'd about tell you, gracious... my mouth flew open.

Miller
Yeag.

Campbell
Cuz I used to pick cotton over you know... for a dollar a hunner to get enough moneyto go see him at the movies at Delight.

Miller
Yeah, and there you were in a movie with him.

Campbell
Ahh...

Miller
You know, I heard-

Campbell
Awesome!

Miller
That you signed a big deal with Paramount to do a bunch of pictures and, and I know that you did True Grit. I don't recall the others.

Campbell
Norwood.

Miller
That you did...

Campbell
Norwood with Joe Namath,

Miller
Norwood. Okay.

Campbell
After, I said, "this ain't what I want to do".

Miller
It wasn't?

Campbell
No. To be in... I'd work in every picture with John Wayne if I...

Miller
Hmm-hmm

Campbell
Had the chance. But I, they didn't, it wasn't what I wanted to represent. Period.

Miller
Hmm-hmm

Campbell
I mean that I just didn't like the road that they were takin' me down.

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
I mean that the whole thing, the plot of Norwood was the guy's big dream was to get on the Louisiana Hayride with his chicken and that sounded kinda dumb to me, right off, but I did it in the movie.

Miller
Yeah.

Campbell
And now the Louisiana Hayride is no more you know, so...

Miller
Yeah.

Campbell
Them kind of stories and the songs they were havin' me do, well, Mac Davis wrote the uh, songs for Norwood, there's some good songs in there.

Miller
Yeah, yeah...

Campbell
But I did this, it wasn't my cup of tea... and I said if I have no more... say, what to do...

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
Because I didn't like the cussin' in it, by...

Miller
Huh!

Campbell
And they had to cut it out- most of it out. I mean. I didn't cuss in it and it wasn't just... thing that happened in real life.

Miller
Yeah, so that... could do that... just didn't get you... didn't like it.

Campbell
No, I, it's not that- it's a lot of work. I was talkin' to Dolly Parton about it and she said, my goodness, gracious, you know... this is... heh... this is worse you than gettin' up and goin' to plow!

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
You know- where you're up at six in the morning you know, and up to six or seven at night and it's that way straight through it. I did it on True Grit for probably two and a half months, so I can get out and go and work one night and make more money than I made on True Grit... and you know...

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
But that was, that was worth it.

Miller
Working with John Wayne.

Campbell
I had to go... and tell ya... I had to go in and loop, where you know, the "HI! I'm Glen"... (coughs) I can't even talk that high, but you know... talk about nervous... John Wayne... I'll never forget the first line he said to me cuz all was goin' through my head, my God... like it... I walked out of the theater in Delight Arkansas- and here I am ridin' in the flesh, I had to pinch myself and say I am really here and this is really the Duke, you know...

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
And, uh, he says, that I understand that you rode with General Kirby in Shreveport, is that right? (raises pitch) "Yeah, I rode with General Kirby"! My voice was so high I had to go back in and loop and mouth the first two weeks (lowers voice) "Yeah, I rode with General Kirbu in Shreveport"... you know?

Miller
Make it more macho!

Campbell
Oh, gosh... it was funny.

Miller
How do you like the part of bein' a celebrity where everybody writes about ya, talks about your personal life and they have done a lot of that with you...

Campbell
Oh, gosh, yeah!

Miller
Glen, actually. Does that bother you?

Campbell
Well, we will all be rewarded and will all get our just due at the end. It doesn't really bother me that much, uh, I know what I am, my Mom and Dad know, my wife knows, my friends know and God knows. I think that is the most important thing and so actually it's... it's... as I got older maybe, I have gotten a lot wiser... not to be so quick to judge, and uh, and leave the revenge to the Lord.

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
I think, he'll think up things to do to people that I could've never imagined anyway.

Miller
Yeah, yeah, you don't have to fool with it.

Campbell
Don't have to fool with it.

Miller
I read in a People Magazine article about you and your wife Kim that came out earlier this year, and uh, I think that it was Jerry Reed who said uh, that one point before you uh, married Kim, they were gettin' a little worried about you, that you were gettin' a little funky... (barely audible) drink...

Campbell
I was going through some... I was off course. Two divorces and, uh... it was... I hadn't had my head on straight for awhile... but it's... I guess people go through those periods... you have to... you have to... the...

Miller
Yeah.

Campbell
You know... You know... I was so far down that I had to reach up to touch bottom.

Miller
Yeah.

Campbell
I left like,

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
But uh, actually, I think that we get ourselves, in uh, uh... more trouble because we are selfish, or we're uh,.. we bring our problems upon ourselves, or we're envious, or uh, we have too much pride or something like that.

Miller
Hmm-hmm

Campbell
Yeah.

Miller
You were uh, that was just an unhappy period for you...

Campbell
Yes, it was. It was an unhappy period... uh... all the circumstances... the whole thing... but uh (knocks on wood off camera with his right hand) but, Love, Faith... everything will be great...

Miller

Working okay now.

Campbell
Oh! Ouh... I would say that, huh, I would say that I finally tried to quit runnin' it myself you know... I said. "Here God, take the reigns and I'll ride in the wagon"!

Miller
Uhm-hmm

Campbell
You know, you know where you're goin'.

Miller
Yeah, let me take a break, we'll be back with uh, Glen Campbell after this!

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

Makes me hungry for some deep fry fritters!

Dee

Post by Dee »

Thanks, Rob!
I had not paid any attention to "Gold Medal" on the front of The Artistry of Glen Campbell!
Great observation; you may be the first to connect the dots.
Maybe we can find out about the connection between Gold Medal and Pat Boone!
Thanks again,
Dee

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

From the YouTube clip, "Glen Sings Unconditional Love" feat. Nashville Now Host Ralph Emery.

Glen Campbell sings Unconditional Love in what appears to be a makeshift sound stage in a club or little hall.

Glen Campbell and Host shaking hands and picking up microphones on long cords seated on a small row of chairs.

Emery
(barely audible) Now they can hear us... (signal picks up)
Now, now they can hear us.

Campbell
Thank you, Ralph.

Emery
Now... You know... I forget it takes me awhile to get condition to both, normally I have a little microphone clipped to my tie and I don't have to woryy about whether you hear me or not.

Campbell
I know what you mean.

Emery
Welcome to the show.

Campbell
Thank you... it's... it's fun to do the show with you, I just love it.

Emery
We were discussing in the dressing room and uh, I asked Glen about an old old album he did which uh, I always enjoyed, the live... the first live album that you did at the Garden State Art Center in uh, er...

Campbell
New Jersey

Emery
New Jersey and then you mentioned some rather amazing Chart Positions for your records all at one time and I wanted you to repeat that for me.

Campbell
Oh, it's uh that debut album, that's why I remember it so well you know, I did it... it was released like two weeks after that- soon as they got to mix it you know and they got it cut all together and they debuted at the Number One Pop Chart and the Country Chart...

Emery
And it had Phoenix and Wichita Lineman and Galveston and so on songs like that in it, but you told me like what... that you had 5 Songs in the top Pop Ten.

Campbell
Pop Ten, yeah. It was right after the TV show started and in '68, yeah... like I had four and the one Bobby Gentry and I had just did in the Pop Ten, Pop Charts.

Emery
Singles... Singles...

Campbell
Yeah...

Emery
You had five at one time.

Campbell
Yeah... ALBUMS!

Emery
Albums?

Campbell
Yeah. Album Charts. And in the Country Charts we had with the Bobby Gentry one we had 8 of the Pop Ten.

Emery
You had 8 of the Top Albums?

Campbell
Uhm-hmm...

Emery
Wow!

Campbell
Head count... who... who... uhm...

Emery
I'm just curious, who had the other 2 spots?

Campbell
You know i didn't notice (laughing and squinting, looking into audience)
I wish I had, uh, now!

emery
But that... those... those were amazing days, I understand...

Campbell
They really were.

Emery
Now that you are revising The Goodtime Hour, in a way...

Campbell
In a way yeah, I uh had worked with Nicolette Larson before, she's doing the tour with us. She... we did down in Florida and up through Massachusetts... Maine... did the Bronx in New York and Levin Hall there... that's fabulous... there's West Point... we was at... we did 21 days with 3 days off, and then uh, John Hartford was on the tour and uh,,,, I do it... I did it just like I was on the Goodtime Hour you know, do the first part Gentle On My Mind, "Hi, I'm Glen Campbell"! (in high pitched voice) and uh, bring Hartford out and Nicolette out... and the real star of the show is really Jim Stafford.

Emery
Really?

Campbell
Jim is so funny... he's growing.

Emery
You sing the one that is very difficult to bring him to sing.

Campbell

Oh, Oh... The Blues That My Naughty Sweetie Gives To Me

Emery
What...

Campbell
Jim's part is pne of the great ones...one.... (singing very fast) "Well now, there are blues you get from wimmin when you see 'em going swimmin' and you haven't got a bathing suit yourself"... And then Jim is supposed to go, "There are blues you get and much quicker when you say, hide a lot of liquor and your lady goes and swipes it off the shelf"... I think that he's done it right once since, uh, in the eighteen days!

Emery
What have you got over there.

Campbell
Oh, wait a minute, if I get that out you won't, you won't say anything about this one, (long cardboard box with artwork for Unconditional Love compact disc).

Emery
Oh, okay excuse me, I'll look at it, you did something in here that uh, I uhm, I think that is kind of interesting, uh, you recorded Connie Smith's old hit that Bill Anderson wrote which Connie's debut hit made her career, Once A Day.

Campbell
uhm-hmm, I always loved that song.

Emery
And, uh, I don't recall... I... anybody else ever singing that but Connie Smith.

Campbell
Me neither, that's why I did it, I never heard anbody especially a male sing it.

Emery
Is this uh, is this the only old song on here.

Campbell
No, Willie Nelson wrote, "The Healing Hands Of Time".

Emery
Yep, I remember that.

Campbell
Willie, I guess has the only one I guess that ever cut that, that I know of.
And I, I didn't phrase it like Willie because nobody can phrase it like that.

Emery
That's true, ah... Unconditional Love is the new Single, which I heard on the radio comin' out here tonight.

Campbell
It's uh, the biggest Single that I had, that's it's... in a long time.

Emery
You know you really had an amazing career.

Campbell
I'm glad that you help me. I'm glad that you did that.

Emery
Do you still sing, "Southern Nights"?

Campbell
Oh, Yes. I love all those songs.

Emery
"Rhinestone Cowboy"

Campbell
Oh, Yes.

Emery
What is this?

Campbell
He was talking about old albums.

Emery
Yeah

Campbell
I was up in Portland Maine and somebody gave me an album... I wanted... I wanted to bring it up to you... she said... I said that I wanted... take that and give it to Ralph Emery. I don't know if you probably have one or not.

Emery
This, this was...

Campbell
I never got any Royalties on that, by the way.

Emery
We discussed that we didn't pay you anything.

Campbell
Oh! Did you get... did you get the picture!

Emery
What this was, I think that we paid you 150 dollars.

Campbell
Oh, was that it?

Emery
Which, it was standard fee, this was a, this uh, only went to Radio Stations.

Campbell
Oh, really?

Emery
It was... It was... I had a Syndicated Radio Show that was sponsored by The Gold Medal Flour.

Campbell
Look at that young man, (points to a picture of Emery behind a microphone boom interviewing Campbell)

Emery
Look at that Mutton Chop on the side of my ear. Anyway, and you may have remembered that we taped this on, on a little Studio on 19th Avenue.

Campbell
Yeah, that was... what... was that now, '67 or '70?

Emery
Yeah, uh, '72.

Campbell
Oh, was it '72?

Emery
'71

Campbell
Oh, my that was only 20 years ago.

Emery
Well, anyway the Show was new and we sent this out to Radio Stations to show them what the show was like and you were red hot and so we used your picture.

Campbell
I'm glad that you did.

Emery
To get inside the Radio Station door.

Campbell
I feel honored.

Emery
And what's inside is one sample of the show.

Campbell
Sample of the Show, that's alright.

Emery
Okay, you're giving this to me.

Campbell
Yeah, I figured...

Emery
That's a nice souvenir.

Campbell
I figured... I figured you never had it...

Emery
The fact is, uh, your hair was a lot longer.

Campbell
Yep

Emery
And I was a lot skinnier.

Campbell
Yeah, I noticed that mine is creepin' back on the forehead there.

Emery
Yah, you had, you had 15 hairstyles, haven't ya?

Campbell
I really... yeah... I guess I have yeah... I tried it curly one time, boy, that was a joke...

Emery
What? You mean that curly thing they do... where it's curly do....

Campbell
Yeah, like Conway did his, you know... Boy, looks good on old Conway... I look like a Fanny Rooster!

Emery
We were going to have an audience segment but we're running late, but I, I do have a few questions for you Glen, from the people in the audience, we'll just answer them quickly, correct, alright...

Campbell
Great.

Emery
Uh, David Scott wanted to know did Glen Campbell play back up for The Beach Boys in recording, sessions, and if so, for how long?

Campbell
Uh, I did about from '64 through '67, Pet Sounds is the last thing- album that I played on, and uh, "Good Vibrations" from that and uh...

Emery
Did you travel as a Beach Boy?

Campbell
yeah, when Brian first decided to go off of the road and just produce, uh, I went out on 3 days notice, I played Bass, and sing the high part, sing Brian's part, I did it there for about 8 months and that's ... this is something because I am not a Bass Player and I raised my voice by at least a tone and a half.

Emery
Did they ever discover that you weren't a Bass Player.

Campbell
No

Emery
Okay...

Campbell
Mike can't sing either, but he's beenn doin' it about a hundred years.. (looks to audience and laughs)

Emery
Is Glen Campbell going to do some more recordings with Anne Murray?

Campbell
I, you know... probably will, we're both on Capitol now and uh, I have, I have a lovely duet that I'd like to try with Anne because we did an album once that didn't get a fair shake on Capitol.

Emery
It's a good album.

Campbell
I wanna do one... do one with Bowen here.

Emery
Is Campbell going to do anymore movies?

Campbell
I... I, I've read a lot of Scripts since True Grit but I tell ya, it's... once you do, when you work with John Wayne, the movie after that Ralph... the reason I didn't want to do it... I had three more movies to do with Hall Walllace, well, it was called Norwood and it had Joe Namath and me in it, and I said, okay who's going to do the acting, you got a guitar player/singer and you had a football player and well, Kim Darby did the acting and then, but, the story... the whole story- the guy's lifelong dream,,, Norwood is to... his dream is to get on the Louisiana Hayride with a pet chicken... Now, I said I think that I would like to have a little deeper story than that, or I'm not going to do anymore Movies... Well, Norwood was the last Picture... Norwood was the last Picture... I did one after that with Robert Culp for Television called, "Strange Homecoming".