Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell's Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Regent

A look at the history behind many of the guitars Glen has used throughout his career.
jay

Dating Glen's Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Regent by its' Serial

Post by jay »

Thanks to Cowpoke for providing a picture that allows us to see Glen's Epiphone Serial #, as the Epiphone moves to Glen's new museum.

It appears that Glen's Epiphone is serial number: 85013
We know that Epiphone produced this model from 1948 to 1958

It appears that the 48 model did not have two pickups.

According to Gruhn's Guide To Vintage Guitars (Vol. 2), #85013 corresponds to Epiphone serial numbers used between 1945 & 1950. The "85" refers specifically to the Zephyr De Luxe Regent model. The final three digits signify it's ranking within that model's production. Gruhn’s book lists two pickups & the slider switch appearing in 1949. In 1950, Epiphone’s “New York” pickups are introduced on this model, which Glen’s instrument does not have. Along with the serial number info, it logically should be a 1949.

Glen's Epiphone Serial.png
Glen's Epiphone Serial.png (375.09 KiB) Viewed 11201 times

jay

Glen Campbell With his Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Regent at the Riverside Park Ballroom in Phoenix Arizona 59/60

Post by jay »

Glen Campbell With his Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Regent at the Riverside Park Ballroom in Phoenix Arizona 5960.jpg
Glen Campbell With his Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Regent at the Riverside Park Ballroom in Phoenix Arizona 5960.jpg (227.19 KiB) Viewed 12503 times

jay

Glen Campbell with the Champs 1960 w/ his Epiphone Zephyr

Post by jay »

1960 Champs Bob Morris, Dash Crofts, Glen Campbell, Jerry Cole, Jimmy Seals..jpg
1960 Champs Bob Morris, Dash Crofts, Glen Campbell, Jerry Cole, Jimmy Seals..jpg (140.79 KiB) Viewed 863 times
The Champs around 1960: (clockwise from top left) Bob Morris, Dash Crofts, Glen Campbell, Jerry Cole, Jimmy Seals

jay

Glen Campbell's Epiphone Zephyr De Luxe Regent Tailpiece

Post by jay »

"I'll Be Me" has some old 8mm footage of Glen and the Epiphone. It is interesting to note that the tailpiece for that guitar seemed to transition with time.

In 1937, a radical new tailpiece called the Frequensator, was introduced by Epiphone. The idea behind the design was to provide compensation between the treble and bass strings, and the word “frequensator” was a contraction of the words “frequency” and “compensator”. The Frequensator consisted of two separate extensions of unequal lengths; a shorter one of 2,5 inch for the bass strings and a longer one of 5,75 inch for the treble strings. All higher-end acoustic and electric archtops were equipped with the Frequensator tailpiece – designed by Epiphone employee Herb Sunshine.

Although the Zephyr was built for about 9-10 years, the "Regent" model only ran for about 4 of those years (1950-1954). The Zephyr line transitioned through 3 models, probably lasting about 10 years from the late 40's to the late 50's. It appears that the tailpiece never changed, regardless of the model produced. Here is a beautiful example of what it looked like:
Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Frequensator Tailpiece
Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Frequensator Tailpiece
Epiphone Zephyr Tailpiece.jpg (296.17 KiB) Viewed 15918 times
During the time Glen used his Epiphone Zephyr De Luxe, it appears to have a Bigsby for the tailpiece, which was invented by Paul Bigsby around 1952. We have no idea who transitioned the Epiphone to the Bigsby, or when this occured, but it had to be at a time that was close to when the tailpiece hit the market. Here is a picture of a '54 Bigsby:
1954 Bigsby
1954 Bigsby
1954 bigsby.jpg (52.94 KiB) Viewed 15918 times
And here are some early pictures of Glen with his Zephyr DeLuxe:
Glen with the Western Wranglers in Albuquerque
Glen with the Western Wranglers in Albuquerque
Western Wranglers.jpg (239.05 KiB) Viewed 15918 times
Glen with the Epiphone Zephyr in 1959
Glen with the Epiphone Zephyr in 1959
Epi 59 Fred Carr and the Customs.jpg (62.25 KiB) Viewed 15918 times
Glen Campbell with his Epiphone Zephyr
Glen Campbell with his Epiphone Zephyr
Zephyr1 with Bigsby.jpg (331.82 KiB) Viewed 15918 times
Towards the end of Glen's career, the Campbell family brought the Epiphone out for several photo sessions with Glen. The tailpiece has been replaced with a 40's model Gibson raised diamond motif tailpiece used on the L7 and ES-300. ((Note how Glen slanted the pickup, most likely to get the sharpest treble response, from neck pickup))
Glen with his Epiphone Zephyr
Glen with his Epiphone Zephyr
2017-06-08_ADIOS_Credit to Glen Campbell Official.jpg (88.09 KiB) Viewed 15918 times
Gibson raised diamond motif tailpiece on Epiphone
Gibson raised diamond motif tailpiece on Epiphone
gibson tailpiece epi.jpg (9.23 KiB) Viewed 15918 times
The Epiphone being "refreshed" with a clearer view of the diamond tailpiece
The Epiphone being "refreshed" with a clearer view of the diamond tailpiece
epi12.jpg (63.56 KiB) Viewed 15918 times

Here is a Gibson 1940'41 ES300 with, what appears to be, the same tailpiece that we see on Glen's Epiphone in the most recent pictures.
Gibson 1940'41 ES300 w/ raised diamond motif tailpiece
Gibson 1940'41 ES300 w/ raised diamond motif tailpiece
Gibson 1940'41 ES300.jpg (32.91 KiB) Viewed 15918 times
Blownup Gibson Diamond Tailpiece.jpg
Blownup Gibson Diamond Tailpiece.jpg (61.22 KiB) Viewed 15918 times

Bluebird

Re: Glen Campbell's Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Regent

Post by Bluebird »

8:21 pm?

Now, that is some detail there! You have done an awesome job with this guitar info section, Jay. Many thanks to you for your work and research.

This is undoubtedly the guitar Glen has owned the longest, at least 62 years which is pretty amazing when you think of it.

Wayne

jay

Glen & Zepher at Riverside Park Ballroom in Phoenix Arizona

Post by jay »

Here are some great pictures of Glen with the Epiphone Zephyr at the Riverside Park Ballroom in Phoenix, Arizona. The year...1959 or 1960...most likely. Thanks to Cowpoke and Dee for contributing these for this thread.
Attachments
Glen with his Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Regent 1959/1960
Glen with his Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Regent 1959/1960
Zephyr2.jpg (34.23 KiB) Viewed 18140 times
Glen at the Riverside Park Ballroom in Phoenix Arizona 59/60
Glen at the Riverside Park Ballroom in Phoenix Arizona 59/60
Zephyr1.jpg (331.82 KiB) Viewed 18140 times

jay

Re: Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Regent

Post by jay »

Probably one of the last pictures of Glen with the Epiphone, before it went to the HOF.
Glen and Kim with Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Regent
Glen and Kim with Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Regent
epi.jpg (63.73 KiB) Viewed 18523 times

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Yes I see what you are saying. Good point. It's in the wrong time frame in relation to the period of the guitar.
It would be like displaying a model T ford with a sat nav stuck on the windscreen.
Having said that, when I see those picks it reminds me of the couple of times when I was given a few of the picks while I was talking to Jeff Dayton while he was still on the stage. I had mentioned I took up the guitar because of Glen and Jeff asked the drummer to give me some of the picks they had in a box. I will always remember that with great fondness. Jeff is a great guy.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Thanks for this info, Mike. I really appreciate it. Maybe this is the guitar that Glen adjusted the pickup on?
The pick? Well, it looks contemporary to me...especially with Glen's signature on it and the red color. Do you think he would have used a pick like this one in the 50s and early 60s?
Maybe I am just being "picky", but I would have liked to have seen an authentic pick of Glen's from the 50s with the Epi. ;)
Dee

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Not wishing to jump in ahead of Jay, but you are right Dee, those blocks are the pickups. As the strings vibrate they cause a change in the magnetic field in the pickup which is converted into an electric signal which is then fed to the ammp to make it louder. I am sure I recall reading that Glen did adjust a pickup on one of his early guitars to improve the high end sound quality. I think you said that Jay?.
Dee, what was your issue with the guitar pick?