Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Miscellaneous Guitars Glen Has Played

A look at the history behind many of the guitars Glen has used throughout his career.
jay

Glen Campbell With a Martin 12 String

Post by jay » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:08 am

I posted here about this possibly being a guitar that belonged to Bobbie Gentry...well, maybe it was Glens! Here he is hosting the "The Summer Brothers Smothers Show" with that Martin 12 String, in June of 68!

glen martin 12.jpg
glen martin 12.jpg (61.35 KiB) Viewed 1016 times

Maurice

Re: Miscellaneous Guitars Glen Has Played

Post by Maurice » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:45 pm

I am a big fan of Glen and I also noticed that he used different types of guitars. I think he owned most of those guitars as I read in some magazine. He delivers great melody every time.

jay

Glen Campbell with a Gibson ES-175 with Dusty Carroll and Ronnie McKinney in 1954

Post by jay » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:53 pm

ES-175.jpg
ES-175.jpg (109.38 KiB) Viewed 1189 times

The ES-175 debuted in 1949, as Gibson's mid-level laminate top alternative to the L-5 and as an electric version of the L-4. It was also the first Gibson electric to feature a stylish F hole. The ES-175 was designed to be a cheaper alternative to Gibson's high-end archtop models.

Glen on the left, Ronnie McKinney center and Dusty Carroll.jpg
Glen Campbell (l) Ronnie McKinney (c) Dusty Carroll (r)
Glen on the left, Ronnie McKinney center and Dusty Carroll.jpg (606.2 KiB) Viewed 1189 times

Glen left Lindrith NM somewhere near the end of 1952 and headed for Houston, Texas. At some point he met Dusty and Ronnie and joined their band. Dusty Carroll was nice enough to share the following information with me.
"Glen was just 15 I think when he came to Houston. His Brothers lived here so he lived with them. From the time I knew him, Glen was a master on the guitar like his Uncle Boo, who supposedly taught Glen. Glen came to Pasadena I believe in '52 0r '53. Ronnie and I had a Saturday morning radio show in Baytown and Glen was not a part of that. I think Ronnie hired him when he was introduced by another friend-musician, Wesley Ford. Ronnie was fascinated by Glens talent. We worked together for quite a while. Then Glen went to Albuquerque. Glen asked me to go with him to Albuquerque but I was married at the time and could not leave that responsibility."

Dusty added:
"We played in several clubs, Some I don't remember the name. We played the Sylvan club in LaPorte, Dancetown in Jacinto City, and yes we Played several outdoor joints on the beach in Galveston. Ronnie's first band name was Pasadena Playboys and it changed to Westernaires. Glen and I played a few jobs with The Hillbilly G I's."
Concerning the above picture, Dusty shared...
"The year was 1954. My first son was born that year. It was after Glen went to Albuquerque. He just came back for a visit. We played in my parents living room."
Dusty wrote the following lyrics about their time with Glen:

RONNIE, GLEN AND ME
© 1993 DUSTY CARROLL

THREE STOOGES SOMETIMES, BLIND MICE TOO
BUT ALWAYS WE WERE THREE
WE LAUGHED OUR WAY THROUGH TEENAGE YEARS
OLD RONNIE, GLEN AND ME

WE CALLED OURSELVES THE MUSKETEERS
WHEN TIME AND YOUTH WERE FREE
WHAT CARES WE HAD, WE SHARED TOGETHER
RONNIE, GLEN AND ME

THROUGH OLD USED CARS AND CHEAP GUITARS
WE DREAMED WE’D SOMEDAY BE
AMOUNG THE GRAND OLD OPRY STARS
FOR ALL THE WORLD TO SEE

BUT FORTUNE CALLED AND FATE DECREED
THAT ONLY GLEN WOULD BE
THE ONE TO FULFILL ALL THE PLANS
HE MADE WITH RON AND ME

WE WATCHED HIS CLIMB TO STARDOM’S FAME
AND HOPED THAT THERE MIGHT BE
A CHANCE TO MAKE THE BIGTIME TOO
FOR RONNIE AND FOR ME

BUT THAT WOULD NEVER COME TO PASS
JUST WASN’T MEANT TO BE
NO STARDUST PATH, NO OPRY STAGE
NO FAME WE’D EVER SEE

NOW MEM’RIES SOMETIME TAKE ME BACK
TO TIMES THAT USED TO BE
WHEN PLANS WERE ALWAYS POSSIBLE
AND DREAMS WERE ALWAYS FREE

AND ALTHOUGH FORTUNE PASSED ME BY
I KNOW THERE’LL ALWAYS BE
THOSE HAPPY TIMES AND MEMORIES
OF RONNIE, GLEN AND ME

Here is a picture of the three of them around 2012.

Ronnie McKinney, Glen Campbell, Dusty Carroll.jpg
Ronnie McKinney (l) Glen Campbell (c) Dusty Carroll(r)
Ronnie McKinney, Glen Campbell, Dusty Carroll.jpg (36.44 KiB) Viewed 1189 times

Maurice

Re: MIscellaneous Guitars Glen Has Played

Post by Maurice » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:02 pm

Huge fan of Glen Campbell. He played lot of great tunes. Amazing thread

jay

Glen Campbell with a 1930/40 Dobro Mandolin

Post by jay » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:40 pm

The Dobro company was formed when the Dopyera brothers pulled out of the National Guitar Co. This was in the early 1930's. A few years later National folded, or rather was acquired by Dobro, forming the National Dobro Co. which produced instruments of both designs. The basic resonator design of Dobro instruments (the "spider bridge") differs significantly from the resonator design of Nationals (the "biscuit bridge"). Dobro made mandolins almost from its inception.

1939 Dobro Mandolin.jpg
1939 Dobro Mandolin.jpg (133.33 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
1936 Dobro Mandolin.jpg
1936 Dobro Mandolin.jpg (37.39 KiB) Viewed 1890 times

Glen is seen here (in this 40's photo) holding this early Dobro Mandolin and the boy on the right side of the picture is holding Glen's Montgomery Ward Plainsman

1940s Glen Campbell with a Dobro Mandolin.jpg
1940s Glen Campbell with a Dobro Mandolin.jpg (501.89 KiB) Viewed 1890 times

jay

Glen Campbell with Bobbie Gentry's Martin 12 String

Post by jay » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:38 pm

Bobbie Gentry and Glen Campbell was released on September 16, 1968. I assume the photoshoot was earlier in the same year. There were several different settings in LA and Nick Brown was the photographer. There are a couple of shots taken on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, just south of Capitol Records.

An evening photo captured Glen and Bobbie, each with a guitar, staring down the street at night. Bobbie had a preference for playing Martin parlor (Jr.) guitars. She is resting on her 50's Martin 5-18. Glen is holding a "concert" sized Martin 12 string.

Glen Martin.jpg
Glen Martin.jpg (749.91 KiB) Viewed 2915 times

I have always wondered which Martin Glen held for this picture. The tailpiece indicated it had been modified. My knowledge of Martin guitars is slim and their history is vast. Therefore, I went to the The Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum, and asked for help.

It seems that the 12 string started out as a 6 string Martin 00-18. If you look closely at the head, you can see that the tuning pegs extend PAST the MARTIN logo at the top of the head...indicating that a luthier squeezed three more holes on each side of the head to create a 12 string (additionally, it doesn't appear Martin made a 12 string, prior to 68, that didn't have a slotted head).
12.jpg
12.jpg (60.05 KiB) Viewed 2915 times

Adding the tailpiece meant you didn't have to worry about the string holes in the bridge - you could just slot your saddle for the 12-strings and leave the bridge in the stock position.

As far as I know...this is the only time this guitar was captured on film...except for Glen using it on the "The Summer Brothers Smothers Show" in June of 68! Maybe it was his?

jay

Eric Clapton with Glen Campbell's Mosrite Acoustic 12 String

Post by jay » Wed May 27, 2020 11:50 am

Eric Clapton with Glen Campbell Mosrite.jpg
Eric Clapton with Glen Campbell Mosrite.jpg (128.27 KiB) Viewed 2180 times

Eric was with Cream, when they played on The Summer Brothers Smothers Show. The show was taped on Monday, May 20, 1968, and would air on July 14, 1968. I assume these pictures were snapped during the rehearsal.

Eric with Glens Mosrite 12 String.jpg
Eric with Glens Mosrite 12 String.jpg (40.01 KiB) Viewed 2180 times

jay

Glen Campbell's Mosrite Acoustic 12 String

Post by jay » Wed May 27, 2020 10:36 am

Mosrite Acoustic 12 String.jpg
Mosrite Acoustic 12 String.jpg (89.8 KiB) Viewed 3464 times

Glen Campbell hosted the Summer Brothers Smothers Show, which was the summer replacement series for The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour. It ran in the summer of 1968 and was Glen's springboard for the Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour.

Glen played different Mosrites during this series of shows. To my knowledge, Mosrite never produced a 12 string acoustic guitar, but Glen showed up with one for a brief moment to sing "It's Over"

jay

Glen Campbell's 1950's Gibson ES-225TN

Post by jay » Fri May 01, 2020 12:58 pm

Dick Bills and the Sandia Mountain Gang. (ca. 1957)1.jpg
Dick Bills and the Sandia Mountain Gang. (ca. 1957)1.jpg (159.79 KiB) Viewed 4394 times

When introduced in 1955, the ES-225T was Gibson's first thinline. Although it shares the same laminated body construction and outline as an ES-175, Gibson opted for a single P-90 pickup placed centrally and a longer version of the trapeze tailpiece used on the earliest Les Pauls. The ES-225 was phased out in 1959.

Gibson ES-225 TN.jpg
Gibson ES-225 TN.jpg (181.32 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
It looks like Glen personalized his 225 a little by turning the truss rod cover upside down!

blowup.jpg
blowup.jpg (87.26 KiB) Viewed 4394 times

jay

Glen Campbell Playing a Gibson J-200

Post by jay » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:56 pm

Guitars , Glen J-200 3.jpg
Guitars , Glen J-200 3.jpg (119.94 KiB) Viewed 4484 times

Glen used a 1956 Gibson J-200 in his "A Better Place" video. The inlays were done by Gil Chavez

Probably a coincidence...but Elvis's 1956 J-200 was his favorite guitar.

Elvis J-200.jpg
Elvis J-200.jpg (36.72 KiB) Viewed 4484 times