Please check out Jack Harris’s heartfelt tribute song to Glen Campbell, The Farewell Blue Guitar, with Brent Mason on lead guitar!

Glen Campbell's Ovation Bluebird 12 String

A look at the history behind many of the guitars Glen has used throughout his career.
Bob Willard Henke

Re: Glen Campbell's Ovation Bluebird 12 String

Post by Bob Willard Henke » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:24 am

The Bluebird 12 String that went back to the Ovation factory originally had the fancier neck. That neck was crushed by an airline on a road trip in 1988. Fortunately Ovation had some replacement necks at the factory but they were the more common necks without binding and the abilone diamond inlays. I was Glens' Bass player and Guitar Tech at this time and was able to get the Bluebird back in playing condition before our next road trip. That is why it has a different neck than the guitar with the replacement Humbucking pickup.

{{{edited by Jay to add some additional information Mr Henke shared via email}}}

As far as the Ovation Bluebird 12 String is concerned, when I first got my hands on it, it had a top of the line bound neck with the abilone diamond inlays. that was the neck that got destroyed by xxxxxxx Airlines. When I received the replacement neck it was the plain neck with the dot inlays that's on the guitar now. Glen had two of these guitars. The other one is the one in the photo of Glen sitting on the stairs with part of his guitar collection. I only saw that guitar once when I was at his house. As you can see it has a replacement Humbucking pickup in the bridge position.

Mike Joyce

Re: Ovation Bluebird 12 String

Post by Mike Joyce » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:50 pm

Thanks bluebird, I am going to watch the concert again to see that performance again. My favourite live show of Glen's

Bluebird

Post by Bluebird » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:19 am

Dee;

Also, the Bluebird at the HOF (same one that is in the 'staircase' pic) has the deluxe diamond inlay pattern on the fingerboard whereas the one that came into the factory has the plainer 'dot' pattern.

Mike;

Yes, Glen played the six string Bluebird on McArthur Park on the RFH video.

Wayne

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:57 pm

Thanks for the info jay. As you say Glen really did bond with that guitar. I noticed awhile ago that Glen had the 6 string and a 12 string Bluebird on the stage during the 1977 Festival Hall concert. I can't remember when he used the 6 string version during the show but of course you knew when he picked up the 12 string Southern nights was on his mind. I would think a 12 string guitar would be much harder to play on, especially as Glen does a lot of picking. I don't think I could handle one. Great sound though.

jay

Post by jay » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:04 pm

It isn't Dee...(You can tell by the pickups)
It is the same on on the staircase, though.
Yes, It appears that the only bluebird 12 to make it out of the Campbell house, is Wayne's.

Dee
Site Admin

Post by Dee » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:10 am

Remarkable photos and "photo opp".
Fantastic that these high-quality photographs were taken to add to the history of the Bluebird.
Thank you for this share, jay.
Is it possible to determine if this Bluebird is the same one that was on exhibit in the spring of 2014 at the Country Music HoF and Museum?
The one at the museum had a tiny chip on the lower edge:
Bluebird_CMHOFM.png
Bluebird_CMHOFM.png (171.1 KiB) Viewed 4980 times

jay

Look what showed up at the Ovation Factory this week

Post by jay » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:52 am

It appears that the Campbell family sent Glens Bluebird 12 string (one of them) in to be cleaned up. The good folks at the factory were kind enough to share some pictures. This Bluebird is going to be very close to the one owned, which once belonged to Glen, by Wayne Reid.
bb1.jpg
bb1.jpg (154.42 KiB) Viewed 4983 times
bb2.jpg
bb2.jpg (127.43 KiB) Viewed 4983 times
bb3.jpg
bb3.jpg (202.35 KiB) Viewed 4983 times
bb4.jpg
bb4.jpg (84.55 KiB) Viewed 4983 times
bb5.jpg
bb5.jpg (240.36 KiB) Viewed 4983 times
bb6.jpg
bb6.jpg (70.53 KiB) Viewed 4983 times

Dee
Site Admin

Post by Dee » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:00 pm

Welcome, rcowboy!
You have likely been this route, but just in case you haven't: have you contacted Ovation Guitars?
See: http://www.ovationguitars.com/contact" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Since Ovation Guitars originally made these guitars exclusively for Glen Campbell, perhaps there is little to no likelihood of re-creating this model (6 and/or 12).
Or, perhaps Ovation would bring it back, an anniversary or tribute model?
It may be worth submitting an inquiry to Ovation...just a thought.

rcowboy

Post by rcowboy » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:30 pm

rcowboy wrote:Who could I get in contact with to buy this guitar? Please e-mail me at joeyflorio2014@gmail.com
Or have one made. I'll pay this price for it.

rcowboy

Post by rcowboy » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:55 pm

Who could I get in contact with to buy this guitar? Please e-mail me at joeyflorio2014@gmail.com