Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell's 1971-1974 Mosrite Mark I

A look at the history behind many of the guitars Glen has used throughout his career.
jay

Glen Campbell Playing Hava Nagila w/ his Mosrite Mark I

Post by jay »

Cowpoke

Re: Glen Campbell's 1971-1974 Mosrite Mark I

Post by Cowpoke »

Glen Campbell, Carl Jackson and Steve Turner performing at the 1984 fourth of July celebration, St. Louis, Missouri. Photo by Jefferson National Expansion Memorial
Glen Campbell, Carl Jackson and Steve Turner performing at the 1984 fourth of July celebration, St. Louis, Missouri. Photo by Jefferson National Expansion Memorial
gc_mosrite_84.jpg (376.93 KiB) Viewed 17207 times
Source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/npsjeff/5 ... otostream/
Description: "Glen Campbell performing at the 1984 fourth of July celebration" by Jefferson National Expansion Memorial, St. Louis Missouri
License: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
jay

Post by jay »

Bob has a great eye!!!

Glen Campbells Mosrite Mark I on the staircase in Malibu
Glen Campbells Mosrite Mark I on the staircase in Malibu
mosrite.jpg (286.95 KiB) Viewed 17290 times
Here is a frame capture from Austin City Limits

Glen with the Mosrite Mark I
Glen with the Mosrite Mark I
598af8efea9aaeb869e41ba6.jpg (24.85 KiB) Viewed 17286 times

Bob Willard Henke

Post by Bob Willard Henke »

While I was working with Glen we had the opportunity to clear out a storage trailer he had in CA. This guitar was in that trailer and I took it home with me. The guitar was in good shape however it needed some TLC which I gave it. It was missing the spring for the Vibramate Tailpiece (which you can see in the above video clip) but otherwise just needed to be cleaned and set up properly. It took some time but I managed to find a spring that would work on the guitar and when I returned it to Glen it was a fully functioning Mosrite. I used ion a few gigs and I have to say, It sounded great. It's in the photo of Glen sitting on the stairs with part of his guitar collection.

Bluebird

Re: 1971-1974 Mosrite Mark I

Post by Bluebird »

Just to add to my previous post since I can't seem to find the edit function:

The Mosrite story was told to me by Rodger Wynfield from whom I got the Bluebird 6 that I still own. He was a guitar tech/part-time band member for Glen. He mentioned it when we were talking about the whereabouts of some of the Bluebirds.

Wayne

Bluebird

Post by Bluebird »

I was told told that someone in the audience at one of his shows offered him the Mosrite for one of Glen's Bluebird 6 string guitars which, obviously, he accepted.

Wayne

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Hi Jay, great post, thank you. Here's another video of Glen playing the 71-74 Mosrite Mark 1.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
jay

Glen Campbell's 1971-1974 Mosrite Mark I

Post by jay »

In 1962 the Ventures paid Mosrite, to manufacture a line of guitars for them. That line's main guitar, for the most part, was The Ventures Model Mark I. The Ventures purchased these guitars from Mosrite and then distributed them. The Ventures were the sole distributor. This was a terrible deal for Semie and the Ventures...as it ended up that 100's of guitars sat warehoused and sold for pennies on the dollar when their 5 year contract ended and Mosrite went bankrupt.

In 1970 Semie started making guitars again and reintroduced the Mark I in 1971 and produced it until 1974.

It appears, that in 1985, Glen showed up at a couple of concerts playing a 71-74 Mark I.
Mosrite Mark I.jpg
Mosrite Mark I.jpg (44.25 KiB) Viewed 18918 times
The oddity is, Glen was fully committed to Ovation during the time span that this guitar was produced. It is no secret that Glen loved Mosrite guitars. Maybe Semie, once he re-opened the factory, sent him one. We will never know. But it is pretty neat to see a mature Glen killing it with a Mosrite!

Many thanks to The Mosrite Forum, Paul Moody and Jeff Dayton for helping with this piece.