Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell's Mosrite Celebrity I

A look at the history behind many of the guitars Glen has used throughout his career.
jay

A Review of Glen's Performance at Panther Hall in 1968

Post by jay »

Glen Campbell 1968 Mosrite Celebrity I Panther Hall (Small).jpg
Glen Campbell 1968 Mosrite Celebrity I Panther Hall (Small).jpg (118.47 KiB) Viewed 16916 times
Glen performed at Panther Hall, in Fort Worth, during a program called the "Cowtown Jamboree" on May 18th, 1968. He used a Mosrite Celebrity I with his initials inlaid on the 12th fret for the performance.

Fort_Worth_Star_Telegram_Mon__May_20__1968_.jpg
Fort_Worth_Star_Telegram_Mon__May_20__1968_.jpg (2.15 MiB) Viewed 16916 times

Bluebird

Re: Glen Campbell's Mosrite Celebrity I

Post by Bluebird »

Wow, what a find, Mike.

It is hard to say about the initials but I am doubtful that they would have been added after the fact. Glen is shown playing a green Celebrity many years later so he must have had two.

We would love to see a few pics of this gem that has been hidden away for 51 years!

Wayne

Mike Reeder

Post by Mike Reeder »

Hello, I have recently bought the guitar in the pic with Glen backstage said to be found on Bill Macks FB page- The guitar with initials on 12fret. It was given to Glens friend in the late 60s. I have full documentation. I am curious if anyone knows if it's the same guitar as the one he has in the group shot and the studio shot, It is green . I have seen him in shots with a green Identical guitar but it doesn't have the initials that I see on it on the 12th fret. I'm wondering is this the same guitar that Glen had his initials added to later or did he have 2 green ones made? Thanks any help would be appreciated .

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Yes, that just seemed like fate playing a hand there. Glen/Jimmy/Ovation a great combination. It's interesting to spot how many artists were using Ovations, especially through the 70s-80s. They must surely have been influenced by Glen's example and also the unique sound they created. I can always hear an Ovation on a song when I listen carefully, they seem to stand out to me, probably because I have heard them on so many Glen records.

jay

Post by jay »

MIke,
With the help of the internet, guitar forensics becomes pretty easy. Speaking of books...this chapter would have been incredible for guitar fans...Glen Campbell's Relationship With Semie Mosely. Sadly no one ever asked him about his Mosrite days. :-(

I think we would have found that Glen "may" have had a hand in the design of a couple of Mosrites...he had several immediately as they were released. Glen certainly was playing Mosrites exclusively and a LOT of them!

Glen had already been to Fender and requested that he be an artist sponsor. Denied. Had Semie not been all tied up in the Ventures contract, Glen was a shoo-in for Mosrite sponsership...especially with the TV show.

But along came Charlie Kaman, right place, right time...perfect storm for Glen and Ovation!

Mike Joyce

Glen Campbell's Mosrite Celebrity I, II, III

Post by Mike Joyce »

Fantastic pics jay, I hadn't seen a couple of these shots. Wouldn't it be great to have a book of pictures which each chapter dedicated to each guitar Glen played, including the album covers. It would need an expert like yourself to edit it etc. That would be a great read.

Bluebird

Glen Campbell's Mosrite Celebrity I

Post by Bluebird »

Here's another great picture of Glen with the Mosrite Celebrity I.
Attachments
Glen Campbell during rehearsal at Hemisfair 1968
Glen Campbell during rehearsal at Hemisfair 1968
GC Mosrite Celeb.jpg (814.65 KiB) Viewed 21090 times

jay

Glen Campbell's Mosrite Celebrity I, II, III

Post by jay »

--Since the Mosrite Celebrity I in the Bill Mack picture has surfaced, it has made Glen's possession of these guitars a little clearer. I will delete a few of my posts and re-write them, in hopes of making this post more accurate.--

In 1964 Semie Mosley (original creator and owner of Mosrite) decided Mosrite should offer a hollow body electric. He took a Framus body and created the Celebrity model. Soon after, he wanted a thicker bout version and created the Celebrity I (one), along with a thinner version...Celebrity II and III. The Celebrity's Glen had were probably produced between 1967/1968. Glen's Californian was basically a Celebrity with a resonator.

Glen appears to have owned several Mosrite Celebrity guitars. These are the ones that have appeared in pictures and video:

1968 Green Mosrite Celebrity I

This guitar was captured in a picture taken by Bill Mack at Panther Hall during Glen's performance at a program called the "Cowtown Jamboree" on May 18th, 1968. What is significant in this picture is Glen's initials have been inlaid on the 12th fret on the Celebrity's neck. This guitar has recently surfaced and hopefully, more information can be included in the near future!

Glen Campbell 1968 Mosrite Celebrity I Panther Hall.jpg
Glen Campbell 1968 Mosrite Celebrity I Panther Hall.jpg (647.23 KiB) Viewed 16994 times
Bill Mack stated:

Here's a treasured "snap-shot" taken in the mid-'60s: Glen Campbell was nervously waiting to go on stage for a TV appearance at Panther Hall in Fort Worth, I was the emcee of the show. I did a bum job of snapping the picture because the director of the show was yelling for us to rush on stage, the theme was being played! I've often wished I could have had someone else "click" the camera and I could have joined Glen in the picture. I never had a picture made with this awesome, talented super-star.

Green Mosrite Celebrity I (Year Unkown)

From the documentation that is available, it appears that Glen played this guitar at the Convention Center Theater in San Antonio on August 21, 1968 for the Hemisfair celebration. It does not appear to be the same Celebrity I that Glen played at the "Cowtown Jamboree" at Panther Hall in Ft. Worth, as it does not have his initials inlaid on the neck.

Glen Campbell Practicing with the Orchestra for Hemisvair 1968.jpg
Glen Campbell Practicing with the Orchestra for Hemisvair 1968.jpg (56.91 KiB) Viewed 16994 times
Sound Check Convention Center Theater  San Antonio 1968 Hemisfair.jpg
Sound Check Convention Center Theater San Antonio 1968 Hemisfair.jpg (119.86 KiB) Viewed 16994 times
Glen Campbell Convention Center Theater Hemisfair 1968.jpg
Glen Campbell Convention Center Theater Hemisfair 1968.jpg (81.23 KiB) Viewed 16994 times
In August of 1968, Glen posed with a bunch of his guitars by his pool, just before going to San Antonio to play at Hemisfair. I believe the 4th guitar from the right is the Celebrity he used at Hemisfair.

Mosrite Celebrity August 1968.jpg
Mosrite Celebrity August 1968.jpg (30.19 KiB) Viewed 16994 times

I believe we see this same guitar in a Robin Leach interview that took place in 1986. Here are a couple of frames showing Glen playing a green Celebrity I with his Uncle Boo at Glen's parent's house in Arkansas.

Glen Campbell and Uncle Boo 1986 Mosrite Celebrity I.jpg
Glen Campbell and Uncle Boo 1986 Mosrite Celebrity I.jpg (71.48 KiB) Viewed 16994 times
Glen Campbell Mosrite Celebrity I 1986.jpg
Glen Campbell Mosrite Celebrity I 1986.jpg (31.06 KiB) Viewed 16994 times
Glen Campbells Mosrite Celebrity I Closeup 1986.jpg
Glen Campbells Mosrite Celebrity I Closeup 1986.jpg (40.18 KiB) Viewed 16994 times

Red Mosrite Celebrity II or III

This certainly looks to be an earlier picture of Glen using a Mosrite Celebrity II or III.

Glen Campbell Red Mosrite Celebrity II or III.jpg
Glen Campbell Red Mosrite Celebrity II or III.jpg (127.51 KiB) Viewed 16994 times