Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell's First Hamer 12 String

A look at the history behind many of the guitars Glen has used throughout his career.
Bob Willard Henke

Re: Glen Campbell’s First Hamer 12 String

Post by Bob Willard Henke »

Here's another photo of Glens' first Hamer 12 String.

Glen Campbells First Hamer 12 String
Glen Campbells First Hamer 12 String
Glens First Hamer 12.jpg (182.55 KiB) Viewed 5255 times

Bob Willard Henke

Re: Glen Campbell's First Hamer 12 String

Glen Campbells' first Hamer 12 String - It originally had one very large Humbucking pickup but Glen didn't like the sound of it so I had our local Luthier/Guitar Repairman put two Telecaster pickups on it. Glen liked the sound better but couldn't get used to the weight and the balance of the instrument so he ended up giving to me.
Glen Campbells' first Hamer 12 String - It originally had one very large Humbucking pickup but Glen didn't like the sound of it so I had our local Luthier/Guitar Repairman put two Telecaster pickups on it. Glen liked the sound better but couldn't get used to the weight and the balance of the instrument so he ended up giving to me.
Glen Campbell - Hamer 12 String.jpg (868.38 KiB) Viewed 5286 times
This is Glens' first Hamer 12 String mfr.. 1989
This is Glens' first Hamer 12 String mfr.. 1989
Glen Campbell - Hamer 12 String Headstock.jpg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 5286 times

Bob Willard Henke

Glen Campbell's First Hamer 12 String

Jeff Daytons account of what happened to Glens original Ovation Bluebird 12 String isn't entirely accurate. I was the Bass player in the band at the time and I was also Glens Guitar Tech. When the Bluebird had it's neck crushed it was in 1989 by an airline we won't mention, I took the guitar home and immediately called Ovation and described my dilemma. Fortunately they had spare necks and tuning machines stashed at the factory in Connecticut. I had them send me whatever they had and fortunately that guitar has a bolt on neck so it wasn't any problem getting it back in playing order. Glen continued to play that guitar until the early 1990's and that's when Jeff took it to Hamer to have a new 12 string made. When Ovation acquired Hamer Guitars in the late 1980's they made an electric 12 String for Glen but it was too heavy and he only used it a few times. He eventually gave that guitar to me.