Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Early 60's W.G. Barker Archtop

A look at the history behind many of the guitars Glen has used throughout his career.
Drew

Re: Early 60's W.G. Barker Archtop

Post by Drew »

Here is a picture of Al Casey with Duane Eddy and the W.G. Barker guitar at Casey's home in Toluca Lake circa 1960's.
Attachments
1963 Barker Bobby Gibbons - Al Casey- Richard Bennett .jpg
1963 Barker Bobby Gibbons - Al Casey- Richard Bennett .jpg (22.53 KiB) Viewed 6851 times

Drew

Post by Drew »

Hello Jay,

This is the only picture I can find with Richard Bennett playing the Gibbons/Casey/Bennett Barker archtop.

"Mr. Barkers story, or what there is of it, is truly interesting."

Agreed, and his luthier work is very underrated to my view. If you can find one they are very reasonably priced for an American handmade instrument. W.G. Barker made fine sounding instruments.

Yours

Drew
Attachments
Rich.jpg
Rich.jpg (23.57 KiB) Viewed 6886 times

jay

Post by jay »

Drew!
Thanks for taking the time to post that information. So often, as you are aware, these guitars get lost after the picture is taken. To be able to follow a significant guitar to the present is as interesting as the story that first brought it to print. So many of Glen's guitars whereabouts are well-kept secrets.

It took me a while to figure out who had made this guitar. I looked at a lot of archtops for that headstock! Mr. Barkers story, or what there is of it, is truly interesting.

Any hope that Mr. Bennett would share a current photo of him with the guitar for this thread?

Thanks again for joining and adding to this discussion.
jay

Drew

Post by Drew »

Good post!

The W.G. Barker that Mr Campbell is using was not a studio guitar. It was owned by Wrecking Crew ace guitarist Al Casey. Mr Casey originally purchased the instrument from fellow Wrecking Crew member Bobby Gibbons who, I believe, ordered the guitar directly from W.G. Barker.

The guitar is a very early Barker and was probably made around 1963/4. W.G. Barker 'window' headstock models are rare.

The guitar is now owned by Al Casey's former pupil, friend and session guitarist Richard Bennett.

jay

Early 60's W.G. Barker Archtop

Post by jay »

In the following photo's we see Glen in the recording studio, presumably during mid-1968. He is pictured with an archtop guitar. I am presuming that this studio work was for the Wichita Lineman album and/or his compilation with Bobbie Gentry, as the shirt and coat can be seen on the cover of Wichita Lineman. It is the only time that Glen was seen with this archtop, so it may have belonged to the recording studio.

W.G. Barker Archtop
W.G. Barker Archtop
1.jpg (30.03 KiB) Viewed 7690 times
W.G. Barker Archtop
W.G. Barker Archtop
2.jpg (46.09 KiB) Viewed 7690 times
W.G. Barker Archtop
W.G. Barker Archtop
3.jpg (32.44 KiB) Viewed 7690 times
W.G. Barker Archtop
W.G. Barker Archtop
4.jpg (30.33 KiB) Viewed 7690 times
Wichita Lineman
Wichita Lineman
5.jpg (12.3 KiB) Viewed 7690 times

W. G. Barker handmade his boutique archtops in Toledo, beginning in the early 1960's. They are extremely rare today. The guitar Glen used, featured all solid tonewoods and is fitted with a floating DeArmond pickup. The slender profile neck was super comfortable to play up & down the fretboard. The guitar offered a warm, rich tone with superb resonance.
Here are a couple of pictures of a similar guitar that was made around 1963.

VINTAGE 1963 W.G. BARKER BOUTIQUE HANDMADE ARCHTOP
wg.jpg (239.35 KiB) Viewed 7690 times
wg1.jpg (416.29 KiB) Viewed 7690 times
wg2.jpg (580.7 KiB) Viewed 7690 times