Glen Campbell's Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Regent

This forum is intended to provide a topic for each individual guitar Glen has played. Help build this forum with pictures and stories about all Glen's guitars.

Re: Glen Campbell's Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Regent

Postby Bluebird » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:25 am

8:21 pm?

Now, that is some detail there! You have done an awesome job with this guitar info section, Jay. Many thanks to you for your work and research.

This is undoubtedly the guitar Glen has owned the longest, at least 62 years which is pretty amazing when you think of it.

Wayne
Bluebird

Postby jay » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:01 pm

Dee wrote:With regard to the date of this photograph, my best guess is sometime during the first half of 2013.
2017-06-08_ADIOS_Credit to Glen Campbell Official.jpg

Dee, the picture was taken April 11, 2013 at 8:21pm
jay

Postby Dee » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:50 pm

Glen is pictured here with his Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Regent.
This photo is a screen capture from a music video created for "Funny How Time Slips Away", recorded by Glen and Willie Nelson for 'Adios'.
With regard to the date of this photograph, my best guess is sometime during the first half of 2013.
About one year after this picture was taken, in April 2014, this Epiphone was on display at the Country Music Hall of Fame & Museum in Nashville, Tennessee.

2017-06-08_ADIOS_Credit to Glen Campbell Official.jpg
2017-06-08_ADIOS_Credit to Glen Campbell Official.jpg (88.09 KiB) Viewed 114 times
New to Glen Campbell Forums? When you reach the bottom of this page, click on the next page number ------>
Dee
Site Admin

Glen & Zepher at Riverside Park Ballroom in Phoenix Arizona

Postby jay » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:50 pm

Here are some great pictures of Glen with the Epiphone Zephyr at the Riverside Park Ballroom in Phoenix, Arizona. The year...1959 or 1960...most likely. Thanks to Cowpoke and Dee for contributing these for this thread.
Attachments
Zephyr2.jpg
Glen with his Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Regent 1959/1960
Zephyr2.jpg (34.23 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
Zephyr1.jpg
Glen at the Riverside Park Ballroom in Phoenix Arizona 59/60
Zephyr1.jpg (331.82 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
jay

Re: Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Regent

Postby jay » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:02 am

Probably one of the last pictures of Glen with the Epiphone, before it went to the HOF.

epi.jpg
Glen and Kim with Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Regent
epi.jpg (63.73 KiB) Viewed 1674 times
jay

Postby Mike Joyce » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:23 am

Yes I see what you are saying. Good point. It's in the wrong time frame in relation to the period of the guitar.
It would be like displaying a model T ford with a sat nav stuck on the windscreen.
Having said that, when I see those picks it reminds me of the couple of times when I was given a few of the picks while I was talking to Jeff Dayton while he was still on the stage. I had mentioned I took up the guitar because of Glen and Jeff asked the drummer to give me some of the picks they had in a box. I will always remember that with great fondness. Jeff is a great guy.
Mike Joyce

Postby Dee » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:04 pm

Thanks for this info, Mike. I really appreciate it. Maybe this is the guitar that Glen adjusted the pickup on?
The pick? Well, it looks contemporary to me...especially with Glen's signature on it and the red color. Do you think he would have used a pick like this one in the 50s and early 60s?
Maybe I am just being "picky", but I would have liked to have seen an authentic pick of Glen's from the 50s with the Epi. ;)
Dee
New to Glen Campbell Forums? When you reach the bottom of this page, click on the next page number ------>
Dee
Site Admin

Postby Mike Joyce » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:33 pm

Not wishing to jump in ahead of Jay, but you are right Dee, those blocks are the pickups. As the strings vibrate they cause a change in the magnetic field in the pickup which is converted into an electric signal which is then fed to the ammp to make it louder. I am sure I recall reading that Glen did adjust a pickup on one of his early guitars to improve the high end sound quality. I think you said that Jay?.
Dee, what was your issue with the guitar pick?
Mike Joyce

Postby Dee » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:47 pm

This post is in response to Jay's note about whether this guitar was cleaned up prior to its display at this year's Glen Campbell special exhibition at the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville. It didn't appear to have been cleaned up. I believe I read that this guitar along with the other items on display had been donated by the Campbells in January of 2014 to the museum. The exhibition opened about three months later and was only a temporary one, perhaps rushed to open to coincide with the premiere of "I'll Be Me" in Nashville in April. This short time period probably didn't give the museum sufficient time to clean up this guitar or the others on display (the Hamer Glen Campbell model 12-string electric guitar particularly had noticeable dust on it).

The Epi's condition appeared to be fragile in my opinion. I am posting a photo here of the headstock. You can see that the black coating (paint?) is peeling and lifting. The mother-of-pearl inlay (?), however, is in fairly decent condition. The tuners appear to be clean, what do you think?

(It didn't seem appropriate to display the red GC guitar pick on this guitar, in my opinion, but maybe Glen used it with this guitar.)

You know what I find interesting about this particular guitar? I have seen most of the photos posted here of Glen. However, I never realized that in addition to Glen, there was "a common thread" among all of these photos--that thread being the Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Regent -- with and without a leather jacket! As they say, if only this guitar could talk; the stories it could tell! Also, Jay, you made a great point about this guitar remaining special to Glen for over 50 years -- not only did the Epi remain in Glen's collection of guitars, as you pointed out, but it is in the forefront of the photo of Glen with his guitars (in Malibu) and Glen is also pictured with it for the I'll Be Me photo shoots. (When I see this latter photo now, it strikes me that Glen is wearing the leather jacket in the I'll Be Me photo--not the guitar.) [smile]

Regarding this topic, Individual Guitars Glen Has Played, it's been fascinating to read and view! Jay, thank you so much for all the work and time you have put into it. I am learning a lot of information that I never knew; learning about Glen's guitars is helping me to learn more about Glen, the musician.

Two questions: the buckle looking pieces on the front of the guitar's body: are these pieces what you call the pickups? Is the top one broken or perhaps loose? It is at an angle in comparison to the lower one.

Thanks again!
Dee

GC_Epiphone_Headstock_Closeup2.jpg
Headstock of Glen Campbell's Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Regent_dz
GC_Epiphone_Headstock_Closeup2.jpg (97.96 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
Dee
Site Admin

Postby jay » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:37 pm

Yes...Jerry and Chet, Jerry and Glen...Jerry seemed to bring out the picker in both of them. Jerry is playing a Godin, I believe and Chet is playing a Gibson Chet Atkins Country Gent. Chet had become dissatisfied with Gretsch due to poor workmanship, so he signed with Gibson and they made the Country Gent for him. Well...two. I believe that one is the original...and it was heavy and Chets back started giving him problems and he had them redesign it for a lighter model. I am honored to say that Chet had two pictures in his office that I took of him in the early 80's. When he passed, Paul Yandell posted one of them on his website. As with Glen, Chet was a true gentleman and very fan friendly. Those type guitars are hollow body electrics. All the big names have them in their lineup. Ovation made the Thunderhead , which Glen played...in fact Wayne Reid actually has Glens Thunderhead (and Jerry's, I think).

I have added some history about Glen's Ovation Thunderhead to the forum.
jay

Next

Return to * INDIVIDUAL GUITARS GLEN HAS PLAYED *