Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell's Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Regent

A look at the history behind many of the guitars Glen has used throughout his career.
jay

Re: Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Regent

Post by jay »

Yes...Jerry and Chet, Jerry and Glen...Jerry seemed to bring out the picker in both of them. Jerry is playing a Godin, I believe and Chet is playing a Gibson Chet Atkins Country Gent. Chet had become dissatisfied with Gretsch due to poor workmanship, so he signed with Gibson and they made the Country Gent for him. Well...two. I believe that one is the original...and it was heavy and Chets back started giving him problems and he had them redesign it for a lighter model. I am honored to say that Chet had two pictures in his office that I took of him in the early 80's. When he passed, Paul Yandell posted one of them on his website. As with Glen, Chet was a true gentleman and very fan friendly. Those type guitars are hollow body electrics. All the big names have them in their lineup. Ovation made the Thunderhead , which Glen played...in fact Wayne Reid actually has Glens Thunderhead (and Jerry's, I think).

I have added some history about Glen's Ovation Thunderhead to the forum.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hi Jay,
I saw this clip on YT of Chet Atkin's playing what looks like a very similar guitar. I thought it sounded great. Here he is with Jerry Reed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNvwxJsGN5Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jay

Post by jay »

Mike,
Thank you. I think that other than the missing leather jacket, the guitar is in the very same condition, in that HOF picture, that it was when Glen last played it in the 60's, except for the 5th fret marker, which looks like it was repaired from the time the portrait and stair pictures were made. Dee saw it in person at the HOF and could probably give you a better description, but I have seen several high res pictures and it didn't appear that they cleaned it up before displaying it. The guitar shows quite a bit of "experience". Here is a picture of it in 2012. Look at all the wear on the bottom, where Glen rested it on 1000's of floors. The bridge and tailpiece have been replaced at sometime in its history. If I were a betting guy, I would bet Glen bought it used.
epi12.jpg
epi12.jpg (63.56 KiB) Viewed 9314 times

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Jay, that is a fantastic potted history of a great guitar.I assume the way it was personalised by Glen was later removed or am I totally wrong about that.

jay

Glen Campbell's Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Regent

Post by jay »

The Zephyr De Luxe Regent was Epiphone’s second-from-the-top electric guitar produced from the late 1940s through the mid ’50s. The instrument went through several name changes, from Zephyr De Luxe Cutaway in 1948, to Zephyr De Luxe Regent, in 1950, to the DeLuxe Electric around 1954. The Zephyr Deluxe Regent is a wonderful example of the meticulous craftsmanship and beauty produced by Epiphone.

To my knowledge, The first time Glen is photographed with his Epiphone, is with his uncle, Dick Bills, in Albuquerque, around 1954, while with the Sandia Mountain Boys:
1955 Epi Dick Bills.jpg
1955 Epi Dick Bills.jpg (42.62 KiB) Viewed 8215 times
Late 1958, Glen joins The Western Wranglers, who are backing up singer Jimmy Williams, at The Hitching Post in ABQ (he later takes over as frontman) and is still playing the Zephyr:
1958 Epi Jimmy Williams.jpg
1958 Epi Jimmy Williams.jpg (63.36 KiB) Viewed 8215 times
Glen with the Western Wranglers Jerry Smith-piano: Donny Cotton-drummer: Glen: Jimmy Baker-bass: Johnny Arvin-steel
Glen with the Western Wranglers Jerry Smith-piano: Donny Cotton-drummer: Glen: Jimmy Baker-bass: Johnny Arvin-steel
Western Wranglers.jpg (239.05 KiB) Viewed 7544 times
After leaving New Mexico, ending up in California, we see him with the Champs in 1960 still using it (The pickups have been changed...which is no surprise. The original Zephyr pickups were sub standard and it appears that Glen slanted the neck pickup to get a slightly hotter treble out of the upper register and Glen has added a custom leather sleeve):
champs sleeve.jpg
champs sleeve.jpg (67.14 KiB) Viewed 8201 times
And finally with Fred Carr and the Customs
Epi 59 Fred Carr and the Customs.jpg
Epi 59 Fred Carr and the Customs.jpg (62.25 KiB) Viewed 8215 times
Once Glen starts working as a studio musician, the Zephyr disappears, until after Glen is diagnosed with Alzheimer's. It becomes clear that Glen still held a fond place in his heart for this guitar.

It reappears front and center on the staircase in his Malibu home:
stairs.jpg
stairs.jpg (94.03 KiB) Viewed 8215 times
And then in a poignant portrait:
Epi Portrait.jpg
Epi Portrait.jpg (42.1 KiB) Viewed 8215 times
Finally, and rightly so, at the Country Music Hall of Fame:
epi HOF.jpg
epi HOF.jpg (54.07 KiB) Viewed 8215 times