Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

The Campbells Take Action (5 pages under this topic)

Building on Glen and his family’s vision for awareness of Alzheimer's disease and caregivers' support
Dee

Re: The Campbells Take Action

Post by Dee »

Ashley Campbell will perform at An Evening of BrightFocus in DC on June 9, 2016.
BrightFocus Foundation_Mind Sight Cure_Ashley Campbell-gcf.jpg
BrightFocus Foundation_Mind Sight Cure_Ashley Campbell-gcf.jpg (64.05 KiB) Viewed 20601 times
For more information about the BrightFocus Foundation and free online tools for understanding and managing brain and eye diseases, visit: http://www.brightfocus.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

# # #

Dee

Post by Dee »

Hansen: As Glen Campbell descends into final stages of Alzheimer's, his wife tries to help other caregivers
Kim Campbell, wife of country singer Glen Campbell, spoke to a group of supporters recently at an Alzheimer's Orange County fundraiser in Silverado.
LATIMES.com
By David Hansen
May 31, 2016

Kim provides tips to caregivers, recalls when Glen was diagnosed and his and his family's reactions, and shares how she and their children are best helping Glen now.

Excerpt:
"When we got the Alzheimer's diagnosis it was scary. It was super, super scary, and I didn't know anything about Alzheimer's," she said. "So I had to ask all the questions. Is this fatal? Yes. How much longer do we have? And everything is so ambiguous, and there's really no treatment, no cure."

Kim said that once the initial shock wore off, it was clear that Glen did not want to hide. He wanted to continue singing.

"Glen just decided that he was going to share his diagnosis with the world and let everybody know what was going on," she said. "I think he really helped remove the stigma of getting that diagnosis, because for so many years it was an embarrassing diagnosis to get. People would just go into seclusion."

Now, however, she does have to protect him. She does it because she feels it's the right thing for him. She knows there are people who still want his time, but he's not in a position to provide it.

"Eventually you do get to that point where you need to be secluded, which is where we are now because I'm trying to protect his dignity," she said. "For us it's been a challenge because he did open himself up, and a lot of people think that they should still have access to him. So it's been really difficult."
You can read the full article here: http://www.latimes.com/socal/weekend/ne ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

# # #

Dee

Post by Dee »

Public Service Announcement - Kim Campbell on Alzheimer's Disease
Alzheimers Foundation of America
May 2016
Source: https://www.alzfdn.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shared from The Alzheimer’s Foundation of America.jpg
Shared from The Alzheimer’s Foundation of America.jpg (49.29 KiB) Viewed 20445 times

# # #

Dee

Post by Dee »

In the post below about the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America ("AFA") Conference held on May 5th in Nashville, one of the photos taken onstage shows a projected image on screen of "Ashley Campbell's Interview AFA Care Quarterly Magazine". This interview was actually a published column titled "'Gentle On My Mind' Lessons in Caregiving" written by Ashley for AFA's Fall 2013 magazine (published at that time under the name of "care ADvantage").

The AFA Care Quarterly provides information for caregivers of people with Alzheimer's disease and related illnesses. I have personally found the quarterlies to be outstanding resources, and Ashley's advice in her column really hits home for me, particularly: "Live your life with love and cherish each precious moment you have with your loved one. That is all we can do. Time is fleeting. We can never make more time, but we can make more memories to hold onto."

If you would like to read the AFA Care Quarterly online, you can find the current issue as well as archived issues saved as PDFs here: http://www.alzfdn.org/Publications/afa- ... chive.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
To obtain a free individual subscription to AFA Care Quarterly, you can submit a subscriber form at this link: http://www.alzfdn.org/subscription2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Following is Ashley's column from 2013 (which is unfortunately not available online).

[Click on each image to enlarge the viewing window.]
Fall 2013_Care ADvantage_Gentle On My Mind Lessons in Caregiving_by Ashley Campbell_p7.jpg
Fall 2013_Care ADvantage_Gentle On My Mind Lessons in Caregiving_by Ashley Campbell_p7.jpg (121.9 KiB) Viewed 20293 times
Fall 2013_Care ADvantage_Gentle On My Mind Lessons in Caregiving_by Ashley Campbell_p8.jpg
Fall 2013_Care ADvantage_Gentle On My Mind Lessons in Caregiving_by Ashley Campbell_p8.jpg (140.12 KiB) Viewed 20293 times
Fall 2013_Care ADvantage_Gentle On My Mind Lessons in Caregiving_by Ashley Campbell_p9.jpg
Fall 2013_Care ADvantage_Gentle On My Mind Lessons in Caregiving_by Ashley Campbell_p9.jpg (117.37 KiB) Viewed 20293 times
Shared here with gratitude to the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America for reissuing Ashley's column.

# # #

Dee

Post by Dee »

Daughter Of Glen Campbell Speaks At Alzheimer's Conference
News Channel 5 Network
May 5, 2016

Ashley Campbell was a participant at the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America Conference held in Nashville on May 5, 2016.
She contributed to the panel discussion "Caregiving, Creative Therapies and Music in Motion".

Read Channel 5's report and watch an interview with Ashley here: http://www.newschannel5.com/news/daught ... conference" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
The agenda and photos from this event are shared below. Thank you, Ashley, for all that you do for the cause!

[Click on each image once to enlarge viewing window.]
2016-05-05_Concepts in Care Educational Conference_AFA.png
2016-05-05_Concepts in Care Educational Conference_AFA.png (337.25 KiB) Viewed 20296 times
AFA 3_Ashley Campbell_sm.jpg
AFA 3_Ashley Campbell_sm.jpg (92.37 KiB) Viewed 20288 times
AFA 2_Ashley Campbell.jpg
AFA 2_Ashley Campbell.jpg (73.52 KiB) Viewed 20296 times
AFA 1_Ashley Campbell.jpg
AFA 1_Ashley Campbell.jpg (76.9 KiB) Viewed 20296 times
AFA 4_Ashley Campbell with Musicians Jane Bach and Michael Pearsall_sm.jpg
AFA 4_Ashley Campbell with Musicians Jane Bach and Michael Pearsall_sm.jpg (57.42 KiB) Viewed 20288 times
Agenda & Photo credits: Alzheimer’s Foundation of America

[Edited by Dee to add two photos, #3 & #4, 5/6/16]

# # #

Dee

Post by Dee »

Wife of country music legend Glen Campbell speaks in Lexington
Ashland Avenue Baptist Church
WKYT (Kentucky)
By Kristen Kennedy
March 15, 2016
Kim Campbell Speaks in Lexington_photo credit WKYT-gcf.jpg
Kim Campbell Speaks in Lexington_photo credit WKYT-gcf.jpg (27.93 KiB) Viewed 20445 times
"If you're open and honest with people about what you're going through you give them permission to reach out and help you and love you," said Campbell.
Read the online article and watch WKYT's televised coverage here: http://www.wkyt.com/content/news/Wife-o ... 84452.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

# # #

Dee

Post by Dee »

March 7, 2016

God Bless Kim Campbell as she continues to advocate for awareness of Alzheimer's disease, quality care for persons with Alz's, and support for caretakers.
She recently visited Villa at Terracina Grand, a retirement and assisted living facility located in Naples, Florida and participated in an open forum after a special screening of "Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me":
Kim Campbell_Villa at Terracina Grand FB Share_2.jpg
Kim Campbell_Villa at Terracina Grand FB Share_2.jpg (51.19 KiB) Viewed 20206 times
[Click once on image below to expand the viewing window.]
Kim Campbell_Villa at Terracina Grand FB Share.jpg
Kim Campbell_Villa at Terracina Grand FB Share.jpg (163.45 KiB) Viewed 20206 times
With acknowledgement to Villa at Terracina Grand on Facebook

# # #

Dee

Post by Dee »

Well said, Mike.
With the passing of former first lady Nancy Reagan this week, I couldn't help but think about how well she also protected her husband's--our former president's--dignity and privacy as he succumbed to Alzheimer's disease.
Dee

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Thanks for posting these videos Dee,
I must say Kim, really is a woman of strength. Despite all the small minded people who attack her she still carries herself with such grace. I think she summed it up so well when she said "life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you deal with it". I believe Glen would be so proud of her, if he knew what she has had to deal with over the last couple of years, but still she continues to support him and work hard to keep Alzheimer's in the public eye.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Glen Campbell's wife comes to Studio 10 Live to talk about her husband and Alzheimer's.
WTSP / 10 News Tampa Bay Sarasota
March 07, 2016

Two video interviews are linked to this page:

http://www.wtsp.com/entertainment/telev ... s/67926905" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;