Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Fans Discuss Alzheimer's Disease and Treatments

Building on Glen and his family’s vision for awareness of Alzheimer's disease and caregivers' support
Primardie

Re: Fans Discuss Alzheimer's Disease and Treatments

Post by Primardie »

You know, I was remembering the song "Elusive Butterfly" and how much I love that song and recalling when I was very young how I listened to Glenn Campbell's songs off an old record player. I had several Glenn Campbell albums and there was nothing that would imply using "Spotify" or "Shazam" or any other programs on a "cell phone" much less internet and computers in almost every home. Time sure has passed and the years are still rolling by pretty fast and many of our parents are wreaked with disease and some passed on, but like my mother, many have been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and Dementia. I had to put my mother in a nursing facility back in early September of 2015. I was told that she was going to progressively get worse and that there was nothing that I could do about it. My mother could not remember my name. She was lost and I saw no way she could ever possibly come back to us. She was gradually getting worse. Currently, my mother is 77 years old and what the doctors told me, well, they were wrong. Mom is now able to carry on a normal conversation. She remembers many details she did not remember for a long time like her date of birth, the number of brothers and sisters she has and she remembers details of the past that even I can't remember. My mother, in three months, has started to show major improvement. I decided to give her a product that I heard many good things about on my own. In fact, I go see her every night between 10:00 p.m. and midnight, because her body is at rest and because they are not giving her medication at night. I found that my mother's behaviors have improved tremendously so all that stuff that doctors say that Alzheimer's has no cure, well, that might be true, but if that is true, how can it be that my mother is showing improvement every day? At first, I was skeptical, but on the third day of giving her the product, as I looked down at my mother while she slept, I saw that her rosy color in her cheeks was back. So I am here to tell you, don't give up on your loved one. Yes, there are things out that that will improve a person's quality of life, some more than others. Do not stop believing in miracles.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Kris' story is a good example of why testing and re-testing and second/third/whatever-it-takes opinions are so important in obtaining an accurate, early diagnosis regardless of the disease, symptoms, etc., just my opinion based on personal experiences (and fortunately not related to the diagnosis or misdiagnosis of Alzheimer's disease). Been there, done that, doing that; please don't give up on yourself or your loved one.
Dee

Kris Kristofferson: An Outlaw at 80
Country legend has faced memory loss and the death of old friends, and has also found peace – just don’t try to tell him what to do
Rolling Stone Country
By Neil Strauss
June 6, 2016

Read the story here: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu ... 0-20160606" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Post by Dee »

This post is about a new Hollywood movie script "Reagan"--a comedy--about former President Ronald Reagan that would be set at the start of the late president’s second term and that would erroneously present him as a bumbling, easily-fooled President when succumbing to dementia. The character Reagan is convinced by an ambitious intern that he’s actually an actor playing the president in a movie. Actor and comedian Will Ferrell announced last week that he would be playing this "comedic" role.

Is there any humor about a person with Alzheimer's disease?

What was Will Ferrell thinking?
What was the script writer, Mike Rosolio, thinking?
Why did this script have the support of 25 Hollywood executives?

April 27: Will Ferrell to Play Former President Ronald Reagan in New Movie
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/will- ... 201762057/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The backlash:

April 28: Michael Reagan, former President Reagan's son, posts an outcry on Twitter:
Michael Reagan Tweet on April 28.jpg
Michael Reagan Tweet on April 28.jpg (47.15 KiB) Viewed 22937 times
April 28: Patti Reagan, former President Reagan's daughter, posts an open letter on her blog to Will Ferrell:

[Click on image once to enlarge viewing window.]
Patti Davis_An Open Letter to Will Ferrell.jpg
Patti Davis_An Open Letter to Will Ferrell.jpg (255.92 KiB) Viewed 22937 times
From: http://booksbypattidavis.com/an-open-le ... l-ferrell/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

April 29: The Alzheimer's Association issued a public statement:

[Click on image once to enlarge viewing window.]
Statement from Alzheimer's Association Website.jpg
Statement from Alzheimer's Association Website.jpg (258.12 KiB) Viewed 22937 times
April 29: The Hollywood Reporter asks: Just How Offensive Is Will Ferrell's 'Reagan'?
See: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/w ... ual-888804" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

April 29: Finally, "Will Ferrell walks away from controversial Reagan project"
From: http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/controversia ... -down-icon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

April 29: Michael Reagan on Twitter
Michael Reagan Tweet on April 29.jpg
Michael Reagan Tweet on April 29.jpg (43.28 KiB) Viewed 22937 times

But will this outcry be the end of this script and potential production? Just because Will Ferrell backed out of this film, others may opt in.

How sad is this film project that shows us how Hollywood sees Alzheimer's?

# # #

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

by Virginny

Hi. I just watched Glens movie. I put a message on Mr. Campbells official Facebook page with this info also. Just wanted to see if you would be able to give the family a Doctors name who specializes in brain issues and does special brain scans. Sees patients with Alzheimers, or ADD as both are diseases of the brain. His name is Dr. Daniel Amen, in Costa Mesa (might be Newport Beach) California. He has programs on PBS, best seller books he has written. He should be easy to research on the internet. He might be someone the family may want to consider for Mr. Campbell to at least have a consult done. Hoping you would be able to pass this info along to the family. Thank you for any help you could give me.

Dee

Post by Dee »

The 36 Hour Day_5th Edition.jpg
The 36 Hour Day_5th Edition.jpg (10.62 KiB) Viewed 23264 times
Kim Campbell had recommended a book, "The 36-Hour Day" by Dr. Peter Rabins and Nancy L. Mace, M.A., at a screening of "I'll Be Me". Written to assist caretakers, it is a New York Times best seller with more than 3.5 million copies sold in 18 languages. Since its original publication 30 years ago, it has been updated to include information regarding the causes of dementia, managing the early stages of dementia, the prevention of dementia, and finding appropriate living arrangements for the person who has dementia when home care is no longer an option.

Dr. Rabins is widely regarded as "one of the world’s foremost experts in the treatment of and research on Alzheimer’s disease and related disorders, depression, anxiety and family care issues of aging persons and their care givers." He was recently appointed Professor of the Practice and Director of Research with the Erickson School, UMBC. (http://erickson.umbc.edu/rabins/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Nancy L. Mace, M.A. was a consultant to and member of the board of directors of the Alzheimer’s Association and an assistant in psychiatry and coordinator of the T. (Thomas) Rowe and Eleanor Price Teaching Service of the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.

"The 36-Hour Day" is available through Johns Hopkins University Press at: https://jhupbooks.press.jhu.edu/content/36-hour-day-0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as well as from other book sellers.

I am finding this publication to be a helpful resource for my own personal situation and hope it will help you, too. Some of the information is applicable to caring for seniors in general, helping to make their lives a little easier, less stressful.

Dee

# # #

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Great item acoustic59. Welcome to the forums, great to have you along.
I agree with your comments and it never ceases to amaze me how much good music does in all aspects of life. Apparently even plants and animals respond to different types of music. I have always noticed that when a particular song starts to play on the radio I feel the way I felt at the first time I heard it. It also takes me back to that time. I.E. childhood summers etc. It always seems to be happy times which stay in the mind better I find.
Dee,
That is sad that you can't find a campus to offer this kind of course. Perhaps with all this research and films like this and of course Glen's film, which was an eye opener for many, in regards to the impact of music on Glen's abilities to remember. It may mean money will filter into these areas for the advancement of this area of research, which may open up new opportunities for you. I really hope so.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Thanks so much for posting about "Alive Inside", and the benefits of music therapy, acoustic59.
No, we haven't yet discussed this particular film although we have touched on music's therapeutic benefits (see the topic, "Inspirational Projects Address Alzheimer's Disease" in this Living the Legacy forum) but not to any great extent.
It was interesting for me to learn that music activates almost all parts of the brain (something I never knew).
Glen Campbell certainly benefited by performing as long as he could on his Goodbye Tour.
On a personal level, I am interested in obtaining certification in art/music therapy but was surprised and disappointed to find out that there are only a limited number of colleges and universities in the U.S. that offer a certified program in this field.
Hopefully, these educational programs will become more prevalent as awareness increases with regard to art/music therapy.
All the best to you, too!
Dee

acoustic59

Post by acoustic59 »

I don't know if this has been discussed already on this forum, but just wanted to share this:

The recent documentary "Alive Inside: A Story of Music and Memory" directed by Michael Rossato-Bennett, illustrates how the simple act of loading up an ipod with the patient's favorite music (what they grew up listening to) and placing headphones on them...had almost immediate positive effects on even the most isolated and withdrawn Alzheimer patients. It seemed to me that the music (which activates almost all parts of the brain when listening to) acts as a "lifeline" to find them where they are in their minds and pull them back to who they were during the music sessions. It really seemed to calm them down and allow re-connections with family in a wonderful way. Hope the this is of some help. All the best!

http://www.aliveinside.us/#land" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Post by Dee »

Press Releases from Alzheimer's Assocation International Conference
Washington, D.C.
July 18-23, 2015

Both encouraging and disturbing news from this week's conference:
  • Researchers Report New Ways To Predict The Development Of Alzheimer’s Disease
    Promising New Treatments For Alzheimer’s Target Multiple Disease-Related Proteins, May Have Benefits For Several Brain Diseases
    Lifetime Acheivement Awards Presented To Four Leading Researchers At Alzheimer’s Association International Conference®
    Metlife Foundation And GHR Foundation Honored At Alzheimer’s Association International Conference®
    Childhood School Performance And Type 1 Diabetes Identified As Risk Factors For Alzheimer’s Disease, Dementia
    New Analysis Shows More Than 28 Million Baby Boomers Will Develop Alzheimer’s Disease; Will Consume Nearly 25% Of Medicare Spending
    Two Leading Researchers Receive 2015 MetLife Foundation Awards for Medical Research at Alzheimer's Association International Conference®
    Women With Mild Cognitive Impairment Decline Twice As Fast As Men With The Condition
    Women At Significantly Higher Risk For Congitive And Functional Decline After Surgery/General Anesthesia
    Researcher Honored For Publication Of Impactful Research At Alzheimer’s Association International Conference®
    Clinical Trials Results And New Data Analyses In Amyloid-Related Therapies From The Alzheimer’s Association International Conference 2015
    Neuroscientist Honored At Alzheimer’s Association International Conference® 2015 For Achievement In Advancing The Alzheimer’s Disease Research Field
    New Data Presented At The 2015 Alzheimer’s Association International Conference Include Three Reports Of Clinical Trials Targeting Cognition, Agitation, Patient Management
    Going Beyond Risk Reduction: Physical Exercise May Be An Effective Treatment For Alzheimer’s Disease And Vascular Dementia
To read individual press releases, visit: http://www.alz.org/aaic/2015_news_releases.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Post by Dee »

Thanks, Mike! I appreciate your sharing the link.
Interesting article based on info presented at the International Conference in D.C.
Dee