Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums

Glen Campbell and Dick Bills in Albuquerque

Share your stories about Glen while he lived and worked in New Mexico (1952 - 1960)
arlw

Re: Glen and Dick Bills

Post by arlw » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:36 pm

Cowpoke,
Not quite sure that is Glen Campbell- and I even listened to it----In doing some research, there are many places that say it could be, and that is only because Glen is the nephew of Dick Bills. Other sources disagree as they claim that 1954-55 is too early. My 45's date back to 1958-59 and are signed by Glen. I emailed my DJ guy here in the Dallas area. I am hoping for a reply and if he does, I will post it for sure. One way or the other, we will know! If Glen was on an early recording, like that and that would make him 17-18 years old, they used Glen for background guitar only but have to remember, they didn't release it! Thanks for the post--interesting!

Cowpoke

Glen Campbell and Dick Bills in Albuquerque

Post by Cowpoke » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:36 am

There is a lot of say about Glen's time with Dick Bills. But I think this is the first recording ever with Glen playing, a single by Dick Bills and his Arizona Drifters called "Beggars Can't Be Choosers" (released June 1954 on the 4Star custom label Vicki (named after Dick Bills' daughter)). The lead guitar licks weaved in between the verses certainly sounds like it could be a young Glen.

http://www.bopping.org/four-star-op-cus ... e-1950-58/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...