Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Does Vinyl Rock You Too?

Off-topic discussions (for registered members only)
Dee

Re: Does Vinyl Rock You, Too?

Post by Dee »

Ravensfan, I can understand why you prefer CDs.
CDs don't require as much "upkeep" as records, that's for sure.
To tell you the truth, I love my vinyl albums, but rarely play them!
It's easier to pull out CDs to play, and CDs are also easier to clean.
Thanks for joining in this discussion!
Dee :)

Ravensfan

Post by Ravensfan »

The problem with vinyl is that I'm blind. It's hard to get records clean or needles clean. There is a difference between CD and vinyl. Vinyl does have a better sound to it, but since I am blind, it's hard to know if there are spots on the record that can stick. Apparently there are laser record players out there that will play a record without having to worry about the needle, but They cost $10000.00 and there's no way I'm spending that much.

Dee

Post by Dee »

lol....try it some time, Siblis... :)

Some music listeners prefer vinyl, saying that it has a warmer sound than CDs. Can you hear a difference?

I'm really looking forward to learning whether Glen's last album (the doc's soundtrack) will be available on vinyl, and, if so, what the album's art will look like...

siblis

Post by siblis »

Dee............smell the vinyl....lol I wouldn't go that far, but I do remember going to Stores like Sears, Two Guys & Korvettes, to purchase my vinyl......In the later 80's I would go to stores like Sam Goody, The Wiz, etc......

Dee

Post by Dee »

I'm with you, Siblis!
For me...it was going to Woolworth's, the "five and dime" store, and finding a new GC album in the LP bins!
Later, my family shopped at a Korvettes, a retail box store, and this is where most of my early albums were purchased.
I remember my mother asking me at one point: "Don't you have enough Glen Campbell records now? Why do you need another one?" I think that I was (only) on my 5th or 6th album at that point! lol
Every new album was a major event for me, too...funny, I did the same thing you did...examined every bit of the album cover, the liner notes, etc.
I also inhaled the smell of the vinyl (just loved that new vinyl smell!), played each record over and over and over, wrote down the lyrics of the songs I loved best, sang along...well, you get the picture...you lived it, too.
Yes! Wasn't the album art always something to look forward to?!
Thanks for bringing back special memories!
Dee

siblis

Post by siblis »

Dee.......Back in the 70's when I was younger, I could not wait to get to my local Record Shop to get that Glen Campbell Album on Vinyl. I used to love the Artwork done on the cover, look for the lyric sheet inside, sometimes I would pop into the Record Store & not even know that Glen had a new Album out & there it was, sitting on a wall mount was Glen's new LP.....those were the days!!!!

Dee

Does Vinyl Rock You, Too?

Post by Dee »

omg...another vinyl supporter...I was thrilled to read this article and hope you enjoy it, too. This writer nicely compares the experience of buying a few of the tracks of "I'll Be Me" (EP) versus the good old days when artists' albums had to be purchased in their entireties.

Viewpoint: Forget Spin-offs; Vinyl is Better
See: http://baylorlariat.com/2014/10/28/view ... is-better/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let's give this topic a spin: do you prefer one format over the other and why?