Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Book Shelf

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Randy

Re: Book Shelf

Post by Randy »

I agree with Mike Love on the work ethic being perhaps the most important attribute. I've commented on that myself before. It could also be argued that it is the most admirable. Regardless of how much talent one possesses, it can be squandered away . The rift the Beach Boys had is not uncommon for a group. Sadly it's human nature at times. The more people involved, the harder it can be to get along. Conversely when only one person is in charge, problems occur also. Once the maturity sets in finally, usually things are much better. Often times it takes birthdays , and/or having the right mate to help guide.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Good Vibrations: My Life As A Beach Boy
by Mike Love with James S. Hirsch

Last month, Mike Love's long-awaited autobiography was published, a hefty one at 424 pages with a generous section of b/w and color photographs.

Reviews have been mixed, possibly influenced by which side of the great divide the critic is on.
With an indirect reference to the long-time discord between some members of The Beach Boys and Mike Love, LA Times book critic Sarah Rodman questions why Love has been negatively perceived by some people and then aptly answers her own question:
He is flawed certainly, but a villain? God only knows.
You can read Rodman's full review here:
http://www.latimes.com/books/la-ca-jc-m ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am raving about the book because Love's life story is a fascinating one for me, a long-time fan of the original, intact band. Also, I was thrilled to discover Love had devoted two pages to his and The Boys' early history with Glen Campbell. This is an excerpt from page 109:
(Glen) had the most important attribute to be a star, the work ethic: by the time he joined us (late 1964), his guitar or vocals had appeared on more than 600 recorded tracks, including Elvis Presley's songs for the soundtrack of Viva Las Vegas. He also had a quiet charisma that played brilliantly on television, which launched him as our first country-pop crossover artist. I know of no one else who can make an audience swoon over the plight of a Wichita lineman.
Brian Wilson's autobiography was published earlier this week. Stay "tuned" for info about Wilson's book to be posted on Glen Campbell Forums' "Book Shelf". Also, don't miss arlw's tremendous book find - posted below.
Good Vibrations_My Life As A Beach Boy_by Mike Love.png
Good Vibrations_My Life As A Beach Boy_by Mike Love.png (343.73 KiB) Viewed 6522 times
D. Zink, c. 2016

Dee

Post by Dee »

arlw asked me to share her recent book find on the forums. Thank you, Ar!

This is a book that was interesting enough to add to my collection. “THIS IS COUNTRY A Backstage Pass to the ACADEMY OF COUNTRY MUSIC AWARDS.” - Written by Lisa Lee, Foreword by Reba McEntire. With Contributions by Marty Stuart, Loretta Lynn, Randy Owen, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Blake Shelton, Luke Bryan, and Bob Romeo. Celebrating the 50th Anniversary of Country Music Awards. This book is still sealed and contains 224 pages. There was an opened book and I scanned through it to locate Glen Campbell. Plenty of articles and pictures of Glen with other artists throughout the years! From black and white to color. Explore the legacy of the Academy of Country Music through more than 300 photographs as well as a wealth of reproduced ephemera, including: An ACM Awards Poster, Handwritten Guitar Chart From A Loretta Lynn ACM Awards Appearance, Backstage Passes from Many Stars, Awards Show Tickets. Release date of this book is 2012. Glen is all throughout this book as he received many awards and also was a Host as well. The Company that wrote this book is “Insight Edition.”. Because Glen is no longer recording, I wanted to have this added into my collection. Fabulous material in here! Commentary from Taylor Swift, Miranda Lambert, Tim McGraw, Faith Hill, Kenny Chesney, Lady Antebellum’s, Hillary Scott, Merle Haggard (who passed away in 2016), and many more. This book is a trove of history and celebrity of 50 years, and a must have for fans of country music. The book, even though my copy is sealed, is awesome! Picture of the front cover:
This Is County_by Lisa Lee.jpg
This Is County_by Lisa Lee.jpg (51.9 KiB) Viewed 6523 times

Dee

Post by Dee »

arlw, the book you recommended below is outstanding. I have never seen anything like it. After you posted your description, I was able to find one on ebay, new. Thank you so much for recommending it! it is like opening a treasure box of memorabilia!

For fans who would like to read a biography of Glen Campbell, an unauthorized bio was published in 1970: The Glen Campbell Story by Freda Kramer.
I would be interested in reading fans' thoughts about this book -- how much of it was based on interviews with Glen's family members, movie star magazines, etc.

I grabbed this photo of the front cover off of ebay; this book is obviously not in good condition.
Glen Campbell Story_Kramer_Paperback_GCF.JPG
Glen Campbell Story_Kramer_Paperback_GCF.JPG (33.5 KiB) Viewed 6688 times

Dee

Post by Dee »

arlw discovered this awesome book and asked me to post her description and photo of it!
Thank you, arlw.

The Country Music Association Awards Vault –this is “Country Music’s Biggest Night”-The CMA Awards Vault. The Foreword is done by Kenny Chesney, and the Afterword is done by Barbara Mandrell. The CMA’s Greatest Moments in the CMA Awards Vault, author Deborah Evans Price takes the reader from the first radio-only Country Music Association Awards broadcast in 1967 to the glittery spectacle of 2009. The author interviewed dozens of Country Music’s biggest stars of the last 50 years to get reactions to their and the CMA’s greatest moments, both on and off the stage. Go behind the scenes for the greatest fashion moments and the art of producing the show, plus the greatest performances of the CMA Awards’ first 43 years.

From Sonny James and Bobbie Gentry in 1967 through Vince Gill’s 12 years as the host to the invasion of young stars like Kenny Chesney, Carrie Underwood and Taylor Swift, this detailed “scrapbook” contains never-before-published photographs, artwork and memorabilia drawn from the Country Music Association and Nashville Public Library archives. Tucked into dozens of pockets, fans will find reproductions of old programs, lists of winners, tickets and more. These fascinating replicas include the program from that first show in 1967, a note to the CMA from the Charlie Daniels Band in 1980, a ticket to the 40th CMA anniversary show and the set-design blueprint from the 2009 CMA Awards.

No Country Music fan should be without this “home archive” of the history of “Country Music’s Biggest Night.” It has a Hardcover with slipcase 12"x10", 144 pages. This is an amazing book and the reason for adding it to my Glen Campbell collection is because Glen is in many places throughout the book and is listed as well on programs and what he sings with the dates. Also there are pictures of him as well. What I LIKE about this book is not only the 144 pages, but it has so many items tucked away in pockets of the pages! The cards put in the folders are actual postcards, but they contain material with dates and where it is being held that year for the CMA Awards. The first one I see and have is October 20, 1967! This fits in a folder and the next page is Glen Campbell holding 2 awards from 1968-on this page are other stars and also a mint condition of a CMA Country Music Close-Up Journal paper from November 1967 and it is 8 pages long and also fits in its own sleeve. Glen is on the next page handing out an award to Tammy Wynette for female vocalist of the year-1968!

This book which contains 144 pages has many neat features in here. Has fold down flaps where it comes out and says” the winner is” , and also a small program of each show, where it’s held and the date, and the artists, and even commercial breaks! There are colored postcards, programs, press info, terrific photos of everyone from the first CMA Award through 2009 as that is as far as this book goes, but the size of this hardbound book is 11” by 13” and it is also housed in another cardboard protective case with the same cover as the book. The back is totally different and it shows just about everything in here. There are replicas of tickets/programs/postcards, and even a guitar pick that is REAL, and says CMA Awards! In the middle of the book, they even give credit to the stage personnel-Behind the Scenes and ALL the plans, blueprints and layouts are included in the flap pages of the book!

This book is rare, quite unique in its own way. I love strolling down memory lane in here as it starts from the very beginning and ends in THIS book in 2009. If you ever have a chance to buy this, I highly recommend it. Many of the artists in the beginning are no longer with us anymore, but their music and their Legacy will live on forever! This author Deborah Evans Price really did a GREAT job!
CMA Book Cover_GCF.png
CMA Book Cover_GCF.png (156.23 KiB) Viewed 6750 times

Dee

Post by Dee »

Great accomplishment, Mike and Cowpoke!
This discography information will be immensely helpful to U.K. fans and also collectors.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hi Dee,
I sent a discography of Glen's UK Ember albums and Cowpoke, as I understand it compiled the list on the Wikipedia site.
They are all on the UK site and every other album that was ever released is on that list also. Thanks to Cowpoke's dedicated efforts on that one. What he doesn't know about Glen's recording history could be written on a matchbox.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Thanks for mentioning the Ember albums, Mike.
Did you and Cowpoke compile a list of these Ember releases with track info to put up on Wikipedia?
Or is this information already on the U.K. Wikipedia?
Dee

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

I started following Glen in 1977, so I only really had the albums. I got Southern Nights which had just been released. and of course the Festival Hall album of the same period. I did collect some singles from rare record shops but not more than 20 singles I think. At the time the older albums were hard to get but a seller in Wales sent me a list of his stock and I ordered quite a few through the post. It was a great time tracking down albums which I had not even heard or seen.
I remember buying Twenty Golden Greats which had pictures on the inner sleeve of other Glen albums and I was thrilled when I had got them all. The UK fan club was great also as they provided a discography of all his albums from all the different labels. IT was at this time I realised that the Ember group were using the Capitol albums and repackaging them and in some cases editing the track listings. So of course I needed to obtain the USA versions as well.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Mike, I wish that had been me in that photo with all of those Glen goodies.
I actually didn't have many GC posters, photos, memorabilia, or even 45s when I was growing up; couldn't afford it. My family was so poor we had to watch television by candlelight.
But, I had all the albums!
How about you?

I will post soon about the Smothers Brothers book that siblis recommended in this Topic. This book is a treasure trove of information -- such as people other than Glen who had been considered to be hosts for the Goodtime Hour.

Dee