Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen and The Champs

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
arlw

Re: Glen and The Champs

Post by arlw »

Here are 2 more 45's that Glen is on with The Champs--straight from Glen's mouth and my DJ friend here in Dallas:

JALISCO/SAN JUAN – THE CHAMPS – This 45 was released in 1963 and Glen Campbell is on this record playing studio guitar work on the song “Jalisco.” It is on the Teal Challenge Record Company. The # is 59219. This is an original release/recording of this song. Ultra High Fidelity, Challenge Records. Glen Campbell’s name is listed under the song “Jalisco.” I assume that Glen wrote this song. The record is in very good condition, and is 39 years old at the time I bought this!!!

The Champs – Latin Limbo/Limbo Dance. This is a white promotional 45 on the Challenge Label, and original release from 1962. The vinyl is almost mint condition. The number is # 9162. Distributed by Warner Brothers Records. Promotional Copy-Not For Sale. Both songs were written by Dave Burgess. The 45 has a stamped star on the label. Glen Campbell plays studio guitar on both of these tracks.

arlw

Post by arlw »

siblis,
I too also know that Glen toured with the Champs for a while and played on Tequila only while touring with them. He never did actually record it with them but HE IS on Limbo Rock. I had asked Glen as well many years ago and said he wasn't on the actual record of Tequila so that was good enough for me-he said to pick up this one!! Here is the 45 I own:

Tequila Twist/Limbo Rock - The Champs #9131. Challenge Records, distributed by Warner Brothers Records. Arranged by Billy Strange and Chuck Rio. Glen does studio guitar work on this 45. Released in 1961. The Challenge label is teal in color. Glen played session guitar on “Limbo Rock.”

siblis

Post by siblis »

In a 1991 TV Interview with Bob Costas, Glen said he did not play on "Tequilia", but did play on "Limbo Rock".

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Glen actually met The Champs for the first time while he was still living in Albuquerque. The Champs were doing another package tour, this time with Jimmy Clanton ("Just a Dream"), The Crests ("Sixteen Candles"), Frankie Ford ("Sea Cruise") and Dick Caruso. And (singer, composer and later producer) Jerry Fuller who became one of Glen's closest friends, was also on the tour. Glen and Jerry Fuller had a mutual friend called Jerry Naylor, a disc jockey and singer, who later became the lead singer of The Crickets after Buddy Holly had died in a plane crash. Jerry Naylor got Glen backstage where Glen asked Jerry Fuller and The Champs for an autograph. A memory Jerry Fuller still cherishes. After the show, Jerry Fuller went to see Glen perform at The Hitching Post. Jerry was so impressed by Glen's voice and guitar playing, that he advised him to go to Los Angeles, which he eventually did, in July 1960.

Now the question is, exactly when did Glen meet Jerry Fuller and The Champs? According to old newspapers, the tour with Jimmy Clanton, The Champs, The Crests etc. (no mention in newspaper ads of Jerry Fuller during this particular tour) took place between February and May 1960. On April 24, they landed in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
Santa Fe New Mexian, 24 April 1960, page 25
Santa Fe New Mexian, 24 April 1960, page 25
1960-04-24_Santa_Fe_New_Mexican_p_25_Jimmy_Clanton_The_Crests_Dave_Burgess_The_Champs_Frankie_Ford_Dick_Caruso.jpg (68.53 KiB) Viewed 4733 times
Assuming they also visited Albuquerque around that time, we could say that it was probably late April 1960 that Glen met The Champs.

At some point after this, Glen recorded an audition tape for The Champs.

http://web.archive.org/web/201010291901 ... champs.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Glen plays a portion of a song by The Champs called "Red Eye" and also mentions "Little Matador" which were both released on one 45 rpm single in April 1960 (Challenge 59076). In July 1960 their next single "Alley Cat/Cocoanut Grove" (Challenge 59086) was released. Assuming Glen used the then current songs for his audition tape, the tape was probably recorded in May or June 1960.

What we do know is that Glen did not get the job immediately. As said, Glen moved to LA in July 1960, but starved for a few months before Jerry Fuller could help him join The Champs in October 1960. What could have happened, and this is pure speculation, is that around May 1960 The Champs were looking for a new guitarist after Johnny Meeks (who played lead guitar on Little Matador/Red Eye) had left. From old session contracts I can see however that by June 1960 Jerry Cole, a great studio guitarist, had joined The Champs doing sessions as backup band for other artists. So, perhaps it was Jerry Cole who took Johnny Meeks' place. However, around this same time Dave Burgess, founding member of The Champs and leader of the band, was looking to leave the touring band and focus on his role as producer / man behind the scenes. My guess is that Glen took over Dave's place in October 1960.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Cowpoke

Glen and The Champs

Post by Cowpoke »

After Glen had moved from Albuquerque to Los Angeles in 1960, he joined The Champs, of Tequila fame. According to Glen's 1994 autobiography "Rhinestone Cowboy" he was with the Champs from October 1960 until May 1961. In several interviews over the years Glen has mentioned that one of the first things he did while in The Champs was doing a tour with Jack Scott ("Burning Bridges", "What in the World's Come Over You") and Danny and the Juniors ("At the Hop").

Last year the BBC made a documentary about Glen called "Rhinestone Cowboy". In it was a short black and white clip of The Champs (including Glen) being interviewed. The complete 10 minute historic film footage turns out to be available online and guess what... the interview was made during the tour with Jack Scott, Danny and the Juniors and another artist called Oliver Cool!

http://www.historicfilms.com/tapes/10205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Glen, aware that noone is going to know Billstown or Delight, introduces himself as coming from Murfreesboro Arkansas. This particular show took place in the Cinderella Ballroom in Appleton, Wisconsin, November 25 1960.
November 21 1960, Appleton Post Crescent, page 19
November 21 1960, Appleton Post Crescent, page 19
1960-11-21_Appleton_Post_Crescent_p_19.jpg (72.56 KiB) Viewed 4744 times
It's too bad the sound goes weird at the end of the clip. Otherwise we could have heard The Champs including Glen backing up Jack Scott. BTW, I am convinced this is where Glen learned to play the song "Burning Bridges" which he recorded himself in 1966.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...