Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Sing! Your Covers of Glen Campbell Songs

Everything from Glen Campbell's history with Ovation, other guitar talk, and guitar picks!
Dee

Re: Sing! Your Covers of Glen Campbell Songs

Post by Dee »

A beautiful cover of "I'm Not Gonna Miss You" by a long-time, loyal Glen fan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B0pLD- ... ubs_digest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

siblis

Post by siblis »

I have heard over the years that Jimmy Webb was that thrilled at first when Glen took the song & re-arranged it, but never the less Glen was onto something at time as it became one of his all time hits & one of the most popular songs in History.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hi Cowpoke, Thanks for sorting that out. I will try to get it right for next time.
Cowpoke, I get my pictures by googling a phrase like "Cannons splashing" click google images and use what I consider to be the best for the lyrics.
When Jimmy wrote Galveston, he was inspired to do so when he saw the cannons used in the Spanish/American lined up in Galveston The Spanish/American war was fought in 1898 in Cuba. Because of this I went with the Spanish/American war images to reflect that. Glen has mentioned this point also a few times in interviews as I recall.

The writer of the song, Jimmy Webb, wrote the song based on a soldier during the Spanish-American War. At least this is what he stated. However upon the songs release the nation was in the middle of the conflict in Vietnam. Naturally any song with references to war, especially away from the mainland, was taken as either supportive or rebellious towards the situation. Although he was neutral on the issue, Glen did his best to express what is considered a huge work of art to the best of his ability. He pushed aside all controversial or argumental significance of it and turned to the power and sincerity of the story, told through the perspective of a soldier caught in the midst of war and wishing for a return home to Galveston, Texas. Through the use of this Texas town both Jimmy and Glen were able to express the emotional significance of the homeland to an American war figure and, in addition, show the fear and terror that comes with being placed in the center of a war forced to fend for your own life for the sake of those back home with no proof or guarantee that you’ll ever see home again.

Above is from 50 greatest state songs. Galveston is at number 2. The rest of the item talks about the women in his mind as being a romantic notion of Galveston etc. I thought that bit was rubbish. It is fairly obvious it's a woman the soldier is longing for and she is longing for him as she is standing on the beach where they used to run. It did mention that Don Hoes version has a different second verse. I hadn't realised that before.
https://countrycentral.wordpress.com/20 ... -campbell/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Hi Mike,
thanks for posting your cover of Galveston! You know, I'm really growing fond of your voice. And I just realized, of all my Glen Campbell friends from overseas, you're the only one that I know the voice of! I like the video too. I am curious about that picture with the men fighting on horses. That's not the Vietnam war. Where did you get that picture from?

Thanks for posting Mike. And keep them coming! :mrgreen:

PS: I fixed your youtube link. The trick is to only use the basic youtube link, in the form of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[video ID]

no extra parameters.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hi Guys,
Its been awhile but I managed to do another cover. This one is Galveston. For a short song it seemed to take me a long time. Still I am sure the Beach Boys know how that feels.
I hope you all enjoy

Dee

Post by Dee »

Hi, Mike,

Thank you so much for sharing your song. We look forward to your sharing your covers of Glen Campbell songs.

Dee

admin
Site Admin

Sing! Your Covers of Glen Campbell Songs

Post by admin »

We would love to hear you play and sing a Glen Campbell song.