Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Re: Latest News About Glen Campbell

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Dee

Re: Glen Campbell and Jimmy Webb

Post by Dee »

It was nice to read your comments about Jimmy Webb's letter describing his visit to see GC, Randy and Mike.
I enjoyed reading the letter's details; now I can picture Glen's surroundings. He is getting the best of care.
Everyone should have a friend like Jimmy Webb.
I can share this info here because Jimmy shared it with fans at a recent concert a few weeks ago: He has not yet seen "Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me".
He is just not ready to watch it yet.
I believe if Glen was not receiving the best of care, Jimmy would not be able to bear this either, and he would not have written this letter.
GC and JW_The Campbell Years.jpg
GC and JW_The Campbell Years.jpg (10.96 KiB) Viewed 3185 times
One of these days, I will post about JIMMY WEBB: THE GLEN CAMPBELL YEARS -- the set list and an overview of this "show". I put the word "show" in quotations because it doesn't really feel like a show. It feels more like you are sitting in Jimmy Webb's living room (and not a theatre), with just Jimmy and his grand piano, and he is talking to you about his truth and Glen Campbell's truth, the true personal and professional stories of their lives and their friendship.

For members and readers who live in or around White Mills, Pennsylvania, Jimmy Webb's tribute show is on the 2015 Wildflower Music Festival's schedule for Saturday, August 1st, at 6 pm.

For more info about the schedule and festival, visit: http://dorflinger.org/wildflower-music-festival/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Wow, what a powerful article. Jimmy hits the nail on the head with this touching insight of glen's situation. Let's face it, Jimmy has no axe to grind and has given a very positive overview of what is going on. This will no doubt be of great comfort to Kim,after all the criticism she has had to endure over the last year.
Jimmy implies that Glen did manage to talk, so that I thought was very encouraging to hear. I am sure seeing Jimmy again must have really lifted Glen's spirits. Lets hope this item will at least give fans a balanced view of the care Glen is receiving and give Kim some respite from unkind comments.

Randy

Post by Randy »

As Glen would say, "Thank you Jimmy Webb," for that wonderful well written report. I've never ever doubted Glen having excellent care because I know for a fact that anything less, Kim would not stand for. For a very close friend, a friend for life as Jimmy is to give that kind of report , has unarguable merit in my opinion.

Thanks for the link, Dee

Dee

Re: Latest News About Glen Campbell

Post by Dee »

Jimmy Webb Pens A Touching Report On His Visit With His Friend Glen Campbell
From VVN Music (and also posted on Jimmy Webb's Facebook page)
June 12, 2015

A very heartfelt, heartwarming letter written by Jimmy Webb about his visit with Glen Campbell this week:
For a period of time after his diagnosis with Alzheimer's disease, Glen Campbell seemed to be everywhere. He recorded a new album (with a second assembled from outtakes), toured for over a year and became the face of a very dreaded disease.

In the last couple of years, though, Campbell has been out of the public eye. The disease has progressed to the point where he is no longer able to live at home, requiring 24-hour care. While there were some rumblings for a short time about the quality of that care, songwriter and close friend Jimmy Webb has penned a new letter to put those rumors away once and for all.

Webb visited Campbell earlier this week and reported on his Facebook page about the high quality facility where Campbell now lives, the closeness he shares with people at his new home and the involvement of his wife, Kim, and his children in his ongoing care.
I visited my friend Glen Campbell Wednesday in Nashville. Laura and Kim Campbell were there as well.

You may be aware that Glen has bravely been living with Alzheimer's Disease. Along with his strong and courageous wife, they have changed the face of Alzheimer's forever. The world watched as Glen traveled from city to city, to continue doing what he loves to do: perform and share his music. Doctors were amazed at how the music and activity appeared to slow the pace of the disease for awhile. With his family, they showed the world that you don't have to hide when you become ill. They raised awareness, and in turn, funds for Alzheimer's research.

Glen is currently residing in a memory support community—it reminded me of one of the nice hotels he would stay at while on tour. Kim has found this place for Glen that is safe, where he is cared for 24 hours a day. The ratio of caregivers to residents astounded me--he is never alone. And there are only 17 other residents; his neighbors are former lawyers, doctors, teachers and others who are living with the same challenges that dementia brings. Glen has been my friend for a long time and I love him like a brother. I am sure that Kim has made the right choices for and with my friend of 50 years.

Glen has his private room and bathroom, all decorated by Kim with custom paint, lots of photos murals and framed memorabilia. The place is bright and clean. He loves color and still wears his blue suede shoes from time to time!

The memory center has elaborate arrangements for activities. There are many different rooms and spaces for him to experience each day, each furnished tastefully and safely.

There is an airy screened-in porch where Glen likes to sit and where we visited with him. He has a full time care-er, Brody. Brody is in his early twenties with long blond hair--he looks like a surfer! Brody is patient and kind. He plays the guitar with and for Glen. They sing, they walk around the grounds and converse almost constantly. We instantly fell for Brody and thanked him for the care he gives to Glen and the important breaks he gives Kim so she can rest and work.

Glen has always been a happy guy and a jokester. He still is. For longer than I'd like to remember, he has imitated Donald Duck and during the visit, he did his Donald voice for us. He sings in a low register all the way to high clear notes that are reminiscent of the performances we are all familiar with. He seems almost to go from song to song, under his breath at times. He looked at me after singing one song and said, "that was a good song wasn't it?" Music is still at the very center of who he is. It is almost as though he is giving a never-ending performance.

The last thing he said to me when it was time for us to go was, "Was it a good one?" like he used to say to me at the end of a concert. That phrase made me think that he recognized me, that and the fact that he said my name to Kim and Laura when I left the room briefly.

He sees his family all of the time; Kim and two of his younger children live just a few minutes away. And his oldest daughter Debby was visiting just the day before.

He is loved. He is cared for. He is respected. And most of all, he has his dignity. We can all be comforted by that.

Yours very truly,

Jimmy L. Webb
From: http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2015/06 ... n-his.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;