Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Thanks for the add.

Hear Glen Campbell welcome you! Introduce yourself to other fans or share a memory!
Dayli

Re: Thanks for the add.

Post by Dayli »

Hi Mike. Thank you for the info! If I can find the book on Glen Campbell from years and years ago, I believe somewhere in there it even lists the instruments he plays! I was not aware of the guitars that Ovation worked to build for him. How interesting...........!

Thank you for your kind words re my Grandma. I saw Glen in concert at the Illinois State Fair......... oh gosh I can't even remember the year! I was just a kid and I remember my Mom standing in line with me for HOURS and HOURS waiting for them to open the seating. And it was worth every second of the wait!

The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour came on opposite Bonanza and I was FINALLY able to negotiate seeing his show every other week because my older brothers just HAD to see Bonanza.

This deal with his alzheimer's is truly sad and disturbing! My heart aches for the turmoil and trials his family is going through.

Dayli

Mike Joyce

Re: Thanks for the add.

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hi Dayli,
Welcome to the Glen Campbell Forums. Its great to have you on board and we hope you will find the forum topics enjoyable and informative. I have learned a lot from these forums myself because many members have a vast knowledge of Glen's history in regards to his recordings his guitars and of course his music career in general, which as you know spans over 50 years.
In answer to your question Glen does play a variety of instruments 6 and 12 string guitars acoustic and electric. Did you know that Ovation guitars worked closely with Glen to produce several custom models for him and it was his need to be able to play guitar on the Good time hour without the restriction of having to use a microphones to amplify the sound that helped in the development in the pick ups that were introduced into their later models which allowed Glen more freedom to move around on the stage etc. As regards other stringed instruments, Glen also played banjo and mandolin. If you watch the clip of Glen with Seals and Croft singing One people one Planet he plays a mandolin on that song. Glen can also be seen playing banjo on other clips but he tended to let Carl Jackson do that for him in later years.
Your Grandma obviously had a good ear for talent and that seemed to run in the family.
We look forward to hearing from you again Dayli, As a matter of interest when did you see Glen in concert.
Best wishes,
Mike

Dayli

Thanks for the add.

Post by Dayli »

Hello, and thanks for adding me. I've been a fan ever since the Smothers Brothers days although I only got to see him in concert once. My grandma used to say that he simply opened his mouth and music rolled out. I agree. I admire the way he could sing ANY song and ANY type of music and it would be so beautiful, not to mention his outstanding guitar playing! I know he plays bagpipes but can he also play any stringed instrument? Or should I say, "could he"? I'm so sad for not only him but his family as well for the terrible disease that has attacked his body!

Again, thank you for the add!

Dayli