Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Jerry Reed Turnaround in Southern Nights

Everything from Glen Campbell's history with Ovation, other guitar talk, and guitar picks!
Bluebird

Re: Jerry Reed Turnaround in Southern Nights

Post by Bluebird »

Glen was playing that lick effortlessly in songs years before the recording of SN, during the Goodtime Hour run which is probably when he learned it from Jerry.

I'll post an example later.

Wayne

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Yes, but I think Glen made it perhaps a little more complex than the guy in the video did?

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Mike Joyce

Re: Jerry Reed turnaround in Southern Nights

Post by Mike Joyce »

I heard the same thing jay. When he was cutting the song Southern Nights I understand he was quite unsure of himself about pulling off the intro etc. I found this to be quite strange as Glen just seemed so natural on the guitar and in the studio sessions it was said he could hear a tune once and rip it off. In fact I read that in the sessions there was a blank page for Glen which read "Glen's solo" as he didn't read music but played it spot on, from memory.

jay

Post by jay »

It's an easy lick. I remember seeing a video where Glen said it took him a week to learn it...I immediately thought "BS". Jerry liked that little run...I think I first heard it on "Don't Think Twice" Jerry had a lot of signature licks, that showed up in different songs. He was very creative on the guitar...

Cowpoke

Jerry Reed Turnaround in Southern Nights

Post by Cowpoke »

Here's a video on how to play that famous Jerry Reed lick in Southern Nights...

http://lanceallenstudio.com/jerry-reed- ... rn-nights/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...