Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

A Song We All Love Sung By...

Off-topic discussions (for registered members only)
Mike Joyce

Re: A Song We All Love Sung By...

Post by Mike Joyce »

Cowpoke, Thelma Houston really does like Jimmy's songs. Did you ever get a copy of her album Sunshower, it also has pocket full of keys and didn't we on it. Some of the other tracks may be Jimmy's as well, but I am not sure about that.
Regarding the song. This is a fine performance, Thelma really does have a good voice and a wide range vocally ,which always helps with Jimmy's songs.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

What about this long version of "Phoenix" by Thelma Houston. I must admit I like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxPXkkOZs4o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Hahaha! That's a good one Mike!

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Cowpoke, Wichita Lineman is definitely middle of the road and it has to be, because its still on the line. :lol:

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

It's a great song, I don't see how anyone can deny that. Some people I think don't like the "sound" of it. Glen's sweet vocals, the strings. I guess you could call it "middle of the road". However, as one recent article noted, there is just as much important and beautiful music to be found in the middle of the road than there is on the edges.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

I guess something as iconic as Wichita Lineman is going to divide opinions. This is the situation for all tunes that have achieved great success over the years. It is interesting how these reviewers are so totally against the whole country/pop scene which is fine but they seem to see no value in any of it. which I think is so arrogant for one thing and certainly very closed mind thinking. There is much music I don't enjoy but I realise I have no appreciation of it which is down to me not the quality of the music itself. Music for some people is also very political and statement of a persons valves. You are either Cool or square based on what records you have in your collection. When I was younger ( I am still young of course) I used to be very self conscience of what people thought about my taste in music but now I am more than happy to tell people I am a big Glen Campbell fan. It even fills me with pride to say it now.
I am sure many of us have exactly the same attitudes to other music as these guys have to Wichita Lineman, but that is just human nature. All I know is, ever since I first heard it I have never tired of listening to it.That is not a sign of a quality song I don't know what is.

Dee

A Song We All Love Sung By...

Post by Dee »

Here's how a great song can make a cultural impact. This vid may surprise you! Enjoy! :D

See: http://observationdeck.kinja.com/late-n ... 1647956362" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;